Fuel efficiency, turbine vs stroke generator

In summary, the Honda stroke engine generator can produce 1000W of power for 3.8 hours with 0.6 gallons of fuel or 2.3 liters, resulting in a power per liter of fuel of 1,300 kW. On the other hand, the turbine generator can generate 1.2 kW while consuming about 0.8 liters of fuel, resulting in a power per liter of 1,500 kW. The cost of fuel is also cheaper for the turbine generator as it can run on kerosene. However, factors such as capital expenses, maintenance costs, familiarity, and availability may contribute to the limited popularity of turbine generators for home use. The efficiency of turbine generators in converting chemical fuel to
Lrn
Hi,

I'm trying to figure which is more fuel efficient, turbine vs stroke generators.

This honda stroke engine generator does 1000w for 3.8 hrs with 0.6 gallons of fuel or 2.3 liters, so the power per liter of fuel is 1,300 kW.

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu1000i

Then I found this turbine generator that claims to generate 1.2 kW while consuming about 0.8 liters of fuel.

http://static.bladonjets.com/documents/41-2395-bladon-12kw-micro-turbine-genset-dec-2014.pdf

So, the power per liter is 1,200 kW / 0.8 = 1,500 kW per liter.

Mind that the cost of fuel is even cheaper with the turbine, considering that the turbine generator can run on kerosene, I'm not sure about the Honda generator, for the sake of comparison, let's assume both are running on petrol.

So, the question, are turbine generators more fuel efficient? If so why are they not popular For home use? Cost? Are there any other small turbine generators out there for comparison?

I appreciate your response.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Lrn said:
Hi,

I'm trying to figure which is more fuel efficient, turbine vs stroke generators.

This honda stroke engine generator does 1000w for 3.8 hrs with 0.6 gallons of fuel or 2.3 liters, so the power per liter of fuel is 1,300 kW.

'Power per litre of fuel' is an ambiguous unit and your units aren't consistant
Output energy/litre fuel is more descriptive,
eg
1000W * (3.8hr /2.3l) = 1.65 kWhr / litre =5.94 MJ / litre (MJ = Megajoules)

As for the rest of your questions, I'd guess capex, maintenance costs, familiarity and availability all play a part.

I know of a guy who got .125 gallons per kilowat hour running a lister 6/1 with a 2500 watt load.

billy_joule said:
'Power per litre of fuel' is an ambiguous unit and your units aren't consistant
Output energy/litre fuel is more descriptive,
eg
1000W * (3.8hr /2.3l) = 1.65 kWhr / litre =5.94 MJ / litre (MJ = Megajoules)

As for the rest of your questions, I'd guess capex, maintenance costs, familiarity and availability all play a part.

Ok. Based on the specs of that machine, (visit the link) what is the amount of power that it can generate (in watts) with 1 liter of fuel? That's because the other turbine generator has a graph that shows consumption per liter relative to power output, that's why I'd also like this to be in liters. I may have calculated it wrong.

Just check what I used below.

1000w for 3.8 hrs = 3,800w
3,800w / 2.8L = 1,357 watts per liter (I just put 1,300 in the first post)

Is the above calculation correct?

Last edited:
HowlerMonkey said:
I know of a guy who got .125 gallons per kilowat hour running a lister 6/1 with a 2500 watt load.
Very impressive! Checking it out. Thx.

Turbine generators are I think generally agreed to be one of the most efficient methods of converting chemical fuel to other kinds of energy,
However I think there is a problem with very small scale ones, you need really precise micro engineering, hard to get it right.

Likes billy_joule
rootone said:
Turbine generators are I think generally agreed to be one of the most efficient methods of converting chemical fuel to other kinds of energy,
However I think there is a problem with very small scale ones, you need really precise micro engineering, hard to get it right.
Noted.

Lrn said:
Ok. Based on the specs of that machine, (visit the link) what is the amount of power that it can generate (in watts) with 1 liter of fuel? That's because the other turbine generator has a graph that shows consumption per liter relative to power output, that's why I'd also like this to be in liters. I may have calculated it wrong.

Just check what I used below.

1000w for 3.8 hrs = 3,800w
3,800w / 2.8L = 1,357 watts per liter (I just put 1,300 in the first post)

Is the above calculation correct?

Watts is a unit of power; energy per time (joules / second). if power is multiplied by time the result is just energy:
Power * time = ( Energy/time) *time = Energy
WattHour is a common unit of energy, it's probably on your electricity bill, the SI unit of energy is Joules:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule#Conversions
0.6 gallons is, according to google, 2.3 litres, not 2.8 (you had 2.3 L in your OP so I guess 2.8 L a typo), so the correct calculation is in post #2.

Related to Fuel efficiency, turbine vs stroke generator

What is fuel efficiency?

Fuel efficiency is a measure of how much energy is produced by a certain amount of fuel. It is typically measured in miles per gallon (MPG) for vehicles or in kilowatt hours (kWh) for power generators.

What is a turbine?

A turbine is a machine that converts the energy from a moving fluid (liquid or gas) into mechanical energy. This mechanical energy can then be used to power a generator and produce electricity.

What is a stroke generator?

A stroke generator is a type of internal combustion engine that uses a piston and crankshaft to convert the energy from fuel combustion into mechanical energy. This mechanical energy can then be used to power a generator and produce electricity.

Which is more fuel efficient, a turbine or a stroke generator?

In general, turbines are more fuel efficient than stroke generators. This is because turbines have fewer moving parts and can operate at higher temperatures, resulting in a more efficient conversion of energy. However, the specific design and use of the turbine or stroke generator can also impact fuel efficiency.

Are there any other factors that affect fuel efficiency besides the type of generator?

Yes, there are many factors that can affect fuel efficiency. These include the design and condition of the generator, the type and quality of fuel used, the operating conditions (such as temperature and altitude), and the maintenance and operation of the generator.