Fuels and Engine efficiency Mechanical Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses two cars, Car A and Car B, and their respective fuel efficiency based on their engine specifications. The question asks for the calculation of the average fuel energy consumed per kilometer in the standard fuel efficiency test for each vehicle in order to determine which version has the most fuel efficient engine. The attempt at solving the problem involves converting the units from SI to British/American and using an equation to calculate the fuel energy.
ra180

Homework Statement

Car (A) C180K WITH A 1.8 litre supercharged spark ignition, Maximum power output 104kw, based upon standard fuel efficiency test a vehicle with this engine would consume 6.1 liters over 100k journey

Car (B) C220 CDI with a 2.0 litre turbocharged diesel engine. Maximum output =109kw, based upon the standard fuel efficiency test a vehicle with this engine would consume 5.7 liters of Diesel over a 100km journey.

QUESTION: Calculate average fuel energy consumed per kilometer in the standard fuel efficiency test for each vehicle and hence determine which version of the vehicle had the most fuel efficient engine

Homework Equations

Convert miles per 100km to miles per gallon= 100*lpg/ kmpm*lp100km

lpg= litre per gallon= 4.54609188

kmpm= kilometers per mile= 1.609344

lp100km= litre per 100km

Variables given 1 mile = 1.609 km, 1 gallon = 4.546 litre

The Attempt at a Solution

Convert miles per 100km to miles per gallon= 100*lpg/ kmpm*lp100km

For Car A= 46.30 Car B = 49.56

Car (A) 104000 x 1800 = 187200000

187200000/ 1x10^6 =187.2

E gasoline = 187.2/(46.30 x 1.609km x 1/4.564)

E= gasoline= 11.47MJ/km < ANSWER

I DON'T WANT WASTE TIME ILL TRY CAR B WHEN I'M SURE MY STEPS ARE RIGHT FOR CAR A

Physics news on Phys.org
Why convert fro nice SI units to British/American units?

I needed to convert it for my equation. Is my answer correct or not?

ra180 said:
I needed to convert it for my equation. Is my answer correct or not?

What equation?

First, we need to calculate the average fuel energy consumed per kilometer for each car. This can be done by converting the fuel consumption from liters per 100km to miles per gallon, and then using the given conversion factors to convert to MJ/km.

For Car A:

Fuel consumption = 6.1 liters per 100km

Convert to miles per gallon: 100 * 4.546 / 1.609 = 279.4 mpg

Convert to MJ/km: 279.4 * 1.609 / 100 = 4.49 MJ/km

For Car B:

Fuel consumption = 5.7 liters per 100km

Convert to miles per gallon: 100 * 4.546 / 1.609 = 279.4 mpg

Convert to MJ/km: 279.4 * 1.609 / 100 = 4.49 MJ/km

Based on these calculations, both cars have the same average fuel energy consumption per kilometer. So, we cannot determine which car has a more fuel efficient engine based on this information alone. Other factors such as engine design, weight, and driving conditions also play a role in determining fuel efficiency.

Related to Fuels and Engine efficiency Mechanical Engineering

1. What is the difference between renewable and non-renewable fuels?

Renewable fuels are sources of energy that can be replenished naturally, such as solar, wind, and hydro power. Non-renewable fuels, on the other hand, are finite resources that cannot be replaced, such as fossil fuels like oil, coal, and natural gas.

2. How does engine efficiency impact fuel consumption?

Engine efficiency is a measure of how well an engine converts fuel into energy. The higher the engine efficiency, the less fuel is needed to produce the same amount of power. This means that a more efficient engine will consume less fuel, resulting in cost savings and reduced emissions.

3. What factors affect the efficiency of an engine?

There are several factors that can affect engine efficiency, including the design and condition of the engine, the type and quality of fuel used, and the operating conditions. Proper maintenance and tuning, using high-quality fuel, and driving at optimal speeds can all help improve engine efficiency.

4. How can we improve fuel efficiency in vehicles?

There are several ways to improve fuel efficiency in vehicles, such as using hybrid or electric engines, optimizing engine design and combustion processes, reducing vehicle weight, and implementing fuel-saving technologies like regenerative braking and start-stop systems.

5. What are some alternative fuels that can be used to power engines?

Some alternative fuels that can be used in place of traditional fossil fuels include biodiesel, ethanol, hydrogen, and natural gas. These fuels can be produced from renewable sources and have lower emissions, making them more environmentally friendly options for powering engines.