Full page figures with RevTex4?

• Thread starter quarky2001
  • Start date
In summary, To insert a figure that takes up the full width of the page in a two-column document, you can use the widetext environment or the figure* environment in revtex. However, the widetext environment may add extra lines at the bottom of the page for long equations.
quarky2001
I'm writing up a document in the standard two-column mode, but there's a figure I want to insert that needs to occupy the full width of the page, although not the full height.

How could I do this? When I set the image width to be 2\columnwidth, it writes over the right side of the image with the rest of the document, not displacing it as I want it to.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
To force a whole page format, you can wrap the selected part in \begin{widetext} .. \end{widetext}. I've never tried this for a figure (only equations, which is it very useful for!), but it should work!

Actually, scratch that (though it will still be useful to remember for equations, so I won't delete it), but apparently there exists a figure* environment for full width figures in revtex.

cristo said:
Actually, scratch that (though it will still be useful to remember for equations, so I won't delete it), but apparently there exists a figure* environment for full width figures in revtex.

widetext and figure* worked like a charm. Thanks.

Any chance if you could tell me why LaTeX is inserting these two lines at the bottom of the page now? *see attachment

Attachments

• lines.jpg
    lines.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,450
quarky2001 said:
widetext and figure* worked like a charm. Thanks.

Any chance if you could tell me why LaTeX is inserting these two lines at the bottom of the page now? *see attachment

That's the widetext doing that. I think you should be able to remove it and just use the figure*.

The lines are put in place for when a long equation is inserted using widetext. It tells the reader how to read around the equation.

Related to Full page figures with RevTex4?

1. What is RevTex4 and how is it related to full page figures?

RevTex4 is a document class for the LaTeX typesetting system that is commonly used for writing scientific articles in fields such as physics and astronomy. It includes features specifically designed for the format requirements of certain journals, including the ability to easily insert full page figures.

2. How do I insert a full page figure using RevTex4?

To insert a full page figure using RevTex4, you can use the "\begin{figure*}" command followed by the "\includegraphics" command to insert your image. Make sure to also use the "\caption" command to add a caption to your figure.

3. Can I resize a full page figure in RevTex4?

Yes, you can resize a full page figure in RevTex4 by using the "\includegraphics" command with the "width" or "height" option followed by the desired size in inches. It is recommended to use the "\columnwidth" command to ensure the figure fits within the page margins.

4. How can I position a full page figure in RevTex4?

You can use the "\begin{figure*}" command to position a full page figure in RevTex4. This will automatically place the figure at the top or bottom of the page, depending on its size. You can also use the "\begin{center}" command to center the figure on the page.

5. Does RevTex4 support multiple full page figures in one document?

Yes, RevTex4 supports multiple full page figures in one document. You can use the "\begin{figure*}" command multiple times to insert full page figures at different places in your document. However, it is important to make sure the figures are properly labeled and referenced in your text using the "\label" and "\ref" commands.