Fun with Self-Avoiding Walks - Comments

• Insights
  • Thread starter klotza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fun
In summary, klotza submitted a new PF Insights post titled "Fun with Self-Avoiding Walks" which discusses the growth of a random walk and its distribution, as well as its relationship to real polymers and self-organizing criticality. The author also shares their personal experience with simulating self-avoiding random walks and asks for explanations for certain observations.
klotza
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
klotza submitted a new PF Insights post

Fun with Self-Avoiding Walks

animationwalk-80x80.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes Jimster41
Physics news on Phys.org
Great article! Useful animations!

Nice article.

The probability estimate for multiple elements at the same point seems to assume that the positions are completely uncorrelated. That is certainly not true for a random walk, you have strong correlations between neighbor steps. Is there some justification that those correlations don't change the result.

In the growth of a real polymer can the "walk" take its next step from more than one location on the existing molecule or is it always a literal chain?

Is there evidence of Self Organizing Criticality and Scale-Invariance in a SARW or in real polymers? The picture of Sauron made me wonder.

I am struck (and confused by) the similarity between a SARW and an Abelian Sandpile with a few rule changes - but then I guess there are lots of variations on such games.

Hi Jimster41 I just saw your questions now, several months after you asked them.

The self-avoiding walk only grows from the end, it has linear topology in its basic form. Other versions are bottle-brush polymers or comb polymers, hyperbranched polymers, dendritics, etc, which have branchings.

I don't know much about self organizing criticality and scale-invariance, but I do know that regular brownian diffusion can be described by a fractal wiener process. The mathematical literature on the critical behaviour of SAWs is quite extensive but a bit beyond me.

klotza said:
Hi Jimster41 I just saw your questions now, several months after you asked them.

The self-avoiding walk only grows from the end, it has linear topology in its basic form. Other versions are bottle-brush polymers or comb polymers, hyperbranched polymers, dendritics, etc, which have branchings.

I don't know much about self organizing criticality and scale-invariance, but I do know that regular brownian diffusion can be described by a fractal wiener process. The mathematical literature on the critical behaviour of SAWs is quite extensive but a bit beyond me.

Thank you sir. I know approximately 100% more about pink, white and brown noise, Weirstrauss, Sierpinski, SARW, fractals, self similarity, Lorenz sytems, and the zoo of such things now, having slogged through Manfred Schroeder's book on them (which by the way reads like a walk across the islands of Galapagos).

Your article was one of the things that prompted me to actually try hard to read that... Unfortunately, as you know, 100% of almost nothing is still... next to nothing.

Not that I'm complaining. It's great to feel completely baffled.

I've written julia code (happy to share) to simulate self avoiding random walks on a square grid, and collected data on the distribution of walk lengths (number of walks of length L). The distribution shows an average walk length of 70.66 steps in good agreement with Hemmer and Hemmer (J. Chem. Phys. 81, 584 (1984); http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/journal/jcp/81/1/10.1063/1.447349). What surprised me was that adjacent columns of the frequency histogram were staggered in height, the odd columns being larger than the even from the shortest walk (7) at least up to walks of length 50 steps. Over this range, the odd walk numbers are at least 3% higher than the next larger walk number, with channel counts from ~2500 to ~11,000 (so the statistics are sound). For example, the 7-step walk channel had 2755 counts while the 8-step walk channel had 2237 counts. Has anyone noticed this or have an explanation?

A walk ends if there is no free spot any more?

Up to symmetries, there is just one 7-step walk (up, left, left, down, down, right, up), and two 8-step walks (same pattern starting one step later). The 8-step walk needs a more precise arrangement of the steps.

mfb said:
A walk ends if there is no free spot any more?

Up to symmetries, there is just one 7-step walk (up, left, left, down, down, right, up), and two 8-step walks (same pattern starting one step later). The 8-step walk needs a more precise arrangement of the steps.

Yes, thank you for the prompt reply! But isn't it odd that this bias should persist for all walks up to a length of 50 steps or more? And if that sort of argument is valid, how does it apply to, for example, channels 8 and 9? Or, for that matter, channels 48 and 49 where the distribution is past its maximum (which occurs at ~ walks of length 30 steps?

I see an effect from parity (like black/white checkerboard fields), but I would not expect it to be so large: a walk after an odd number of steps N can potentially be blocked by (N+1)/2 other elements, while a walk after an even number of steps can be blocked by N/2 other elements.

The probability of a walk ending after 7 steps is 6/37, while the probability of ending after 8 steps is 5/37.

mfb said:
I see an effect from parity (like black/white checkerboard fields), but I would not expect it to be so large: a walk after an odd number of steps N can potentially be blocked by (N+1)/2 other elements, while a walk after an even number of steps can be blocked by N/2 other elements.

The probability of a walk ending after 7 steps is 6/37, while the probability of ending after 8 steps is 5/37.
mfb - Again many thanks for taking an interest in this problem. The wheels in my 82 year old head don't spin as fast as they once did! Your values for the probabilities, P(7) and P(8), of 7 and 8 step walks agree well with two 1-million walk simulation runs;

P(7)=6/3^7 Run 1 Run 2
0.002743 0.002755 0.002791

P(8)=5/3^7
0.002286 0.002237 0.002258

I think I understand 6/3^7; each step has 3 branches so in 7 steps there are 3^7 possible walks, and for each of the 3 branches there is a left- and a right-handed trapped loop making 6 successes. (Since trapping involves a curling path, is it so that all trapped walks come in left- and right-hand pairs?)

Attempting to use the previous reasoning for the 8 step walk leads me to this (wrong) conclusion: 3 branches for 8 steps gives 3^8 walks, for each branch there is the same, left/right pair of 7-step trapped loops, but with two possible additional first steps for a total of 12 successful 8-step walks. That gives me 12/3^8 = 4/3^7 instead of your 5/3^7. I have spent many waking and even dreaming hours trying to understand why 4 must be 5! I'm sure I'm missing something that should be obvious, but would be grateful for your explanation!

I suppose, more accurately, the 8-step probability should be reduced by multiplying by the probability of not being trapped at 7 steps: 1-P(7) = 0.99726, but it would take a simulation of about 50 million walks to verify that, and much confidence in the random number generator!

I start all walks with the same [1,0] step since symmetry suggests that this should have no effect on the distribution of walk lengths, and it will allow me to see what effect this bias might have on final displacement.

The trend of your (n+1)/2, N/2 parity effect is evident in the data, but apparently an underestimate.

I have a figure summarizing what I have said, but not sure whether it has uploaded.

Attachments

• SARW_Flat_Torus.jpg
    SARW_Flat_Torus.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 594
herb helbig said:
I suppose, more accurately, the 8-step probability should be reduced by multiplying by the probability of not being trapped at 7 steps: 1-P(7) = 0.99726, but it would take a simulation of about 50 million walks to verify that, and much confidence in the random number generator!
The probabilities are absolute. If we would have those values for all N, they would add to 1.

The 8-step path has a tricky case: if you go NNWWSSE (using the directions as you would expect), there are just two instead of three options left for step number 8, one of them ends.

Define North to be the direction of the first step.
- With 1/3 probability the next step is also N, then we have 2/3 probability to go E or W, afterwards we have to choose the right direction out of 3 four times in a row, and finally a 1/2 chance to get trapped. Total: 1/36 = 3/37
- With a 2/3 probability the next step is W or E, then the next 6 steps have to pick the right direction out of 3, for a total contribution of 2/37.
Sum: 5/37

The 7-step walk has 1 case, the 8-step walk has 2 cases, the 9-step walk has 6 cases, and the 10-step walk has at least 15 cases. Manual analysis becomes messy quickly.

herb helbig said:
The trend of your (n+1)/2, N/2 parity effect is evident in the data, but apparently an underestimate.

I have a figure summarizing what I have said, but not sure whether it has uploaded.
That (n+1)/2 vs n/2 pattern should have an odd/even pattern.

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }

mfb -

Thank you for explaining how to count the probabilities for each path of a random walk! And for soothing my pride with the word “tricky”.

I have found six 9-step trapped walk paths that end next to the starting square. Together with their mirror images that makes twelve. I also found four 9-step paths that end a knight’s move from the starting square and one that ends three steps from the starting square in the direction of the first step. With their mirror images that brings the total number of 9-step paths to 22. I have worked out the probabilities for the 9-step walks and they check nicely with my simulation.

That led me to try the 10-step case where I found 25 paths with their mirror images to make 50 total. Again, the calculated and simulated results agree; see attached graph.
https://physicsforums-bernhardtmediall.netdna-ssl.com/data/attachments/90/90305-8f8dc085dc1cb941a4f653baea3f44e9.jpg

I found at least 190 different 11-step trapped walk paths (including symmetric ones) in a sample of 10^6 walks. The samples of 11-step paths ranged in size from 93 down to 10.

I have a copy of “The Self-Avoiding Walk” by Madras and Slade on order in hopes it may provide further insight into this system.

Attachments

• SARW_flat_and_torus_with_inset.jpg
    SARW_flat_and_torus_with_inset.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,532
Last edited by a moderator:
If we define the first step to be North, we have 10 steps left for the 11-step walk, removing the mirror symmetry each path has a probability of at least 2/3^10 or 1 in 30,000. With an expected occurrence of 30 or more in a million samples, it is extremely unlikely that you missed any pattern. It should be possible to automatically analyze those patterns in terms of the number of available spaces in each move, which leads to the probability of this path.

With a back-tracking algorithm, it should be possible to list all cases (less than 30,000) and their probabilities. The less than 1 million cases for 14 steps should still work, afterwards it might need some computing time. n steps in a self-trapping walk need at most n-5 empty space in every direction from the starting point, but grid size should not be a limit anyway.

Related to Fun with Self-Avoiding Walks - Comments

1. What is a self-avoiding walk?

A self-avoiding walk is a mathematical concept that describes a path or trajectory taken by a point or particle that does not cross or intersect with any of its previous points. This is often modeled on a grid or lattice and is used in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and computer science.

2. What is the significance of self-avoiding walks in scientific research?

Self-avoiding walks have been extensively studied in various scientific fields as they provide a simple yet powerful way to understand the behavior of complex systems. They have been used to model polymer chains, protein folding, and the spread of diseases, among other things. They also have practical applications in computer algorithms and simulations.

3. Can self-avoiding walks be applied in real-world scenarios?

Yes, self-avoiding walks have been successfully applied in various real-world scenarios, such as traffic flow, molecular dynamics, and social networks. They have also been used to study the behavior of physical systems, such as fluids and gases.

4. What are the limitations of self-avoiding walks as a modeling tool?

While self-avoiding walks have been proven to be useful in many applications, they also have some limitations. One of the main limitations is that they are often simplified versions of real-world systems and may not accurately represent all aspects of the system. They also require a considerable amount of computing power and can be computationally expensive for large systems.

5. How can self-avoiding walks be further explored and improved upon?

Self-avoiding walks are an active area of research, and scientists are constantly seeking to improve upon and develop new methods for using them. Some current research topics include incorporating different types of constraints, such as energy minimization, into the model and studying self-avoiding walks on non-Euclidean geometries. Additionally, advancements in computing power and algorithms are allowing for the study of larger and more complex systems.