Function Composition: Restrictions for Domains

In summary, for the four composite functions $G\circ F,\ H\circ G,\ H\circ (G\circ F),\ (H\circ G)\circ F$ to be defined, the restrictions on their domains are that the co-domain of $F$ must be a subset of the domain of $G$, and the co-domain of $G$ must be a subset of the domain of $H$.
Dustinsfl
Given three functions $F,G,H$ what restrictions must be placed on their domains so that the following four composite functions can be defined?
$$
G\circ F,\quad H\circ G,\quad H\circ (G\circ F),\quad (H\circ G)\circ F.
$$

I need a hint or something.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'd say that in each case you'd need $\textrm{Im }F \subset D_G, \text{ I am }G \subset D_H, \text{ I am }G \circ F \subset D_H$ and $\text{Im }F \subset D_{H \circ G}$.

Taking as example your other thread, we need $\text{Im }F \subset D_G$, where $F(x) = x+5$ and

$$G(x) = \begin{cases} \frac{|x|}{x}, & \text{if } x \neq 0 \\ 1, & \text{if } x= 0. \end{cases}$$

For $\text{Im }F$ to be contained in the domain of $G$, we need to investigate the cases where $F(x) \neq 0$ and $F(x)=0$. In particular, here we have $\text{Im }F = \mathbb{R}$ and $D_G = \mathbb{R}$ since it is defined everywhere (although it isn't continuous).

dwsmith said:
Given three functions $F,G,H$ what restrictions must be placed on their domains so that the following four composite functions can be defined?
$$
G\circ F,\quad H\circ G,\quad H\circ (G\circ F),\quad (H\circ G)\circ F.
$$

I need a hint or something.

Hi dwsmith, :)

If \(G\circ F\) is to be defined properly the co-domain of \(F\) should be a subset of the domain of \(G\). Therefore the only restrictions in defining the above mentioned compositions are,

\[\mbox{codom }(F)\subseteq\mbox{dom }(G)\mbox{ and }\mbox{codom }(G)\subseteq\mbox{dom }(H)\]

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

FAQ: Function Composition: Restrictions for Domains

1. What is function composition?

Function composition is a mathematical operation that takes two functions and combines them to form a new function. This new function is composed of the two original functions, with the output of one function being used as the input for the other function.

2. What is meant by "restrictions for domains" in function composition?

Restrictions for domains in function composition refer to the limitations on the input values that can be used for the composed function. This means that certain values may not be allowed as input for the composed function, even if they are allowed for the individual functions.

3. Why are restrictions for domains important in function composition?

Restrictions for domains are important in function composition because they ensure that the composed function is well-defined and that the output is a valid result. Without these restrictions, the composed function may produce undefined or incorrect outputs.

4. How do you determine the restrictions for domains in function composition?

The restrictions for domains in function composition can be determined by looking at the individual functions and identifying any values that would result in undefined or invalid outputs. These values should be excluded from the domain of the composed function.

5. Can restrictions for domains be removed in function composition?

In some cases, restrictions for domains can be removed in function composition by making adjustments to the individual functions. For example, if an individual function has a restriction on its domain, it may be possible to modify the function to remove this restriction, allowing for a larger domain for the composed function.