Function multiplied by nth derivative of another function

In summary, the problem is to provide proof for a statement involving the nth derivative of a function and a sum of derivatives. The previous question and an identity may be useful. The attempt at a solution uses induction and rearranging, but becomes stuck at a certain point. The equation at this point would require that the derivative of the function divided by the function equals another derivative, which does not make sense. The work has been checked and reviewed, but there may be a mistake or overlooked principle.
Tcw7468

Homework Statement

In the problem, I should provide proof for the statement, where ##f^{(n)}(x)## denotes the ##n##th derivative of the function ##f(x)##:

$$
f(x)g^{(n)}(x) = \sum_{k=0}^n (-1)^k \binom{n}{k} \frac{d^{n-k}}{dx^{n-k}} \left[ f^{(k)}(x)g(x) \right]
$$

Homework Equations

The previous question which I already proved may be useful

$$
\frac{d^{n}}{dx^{n}} \left[ f(x)g(x) \right] = \sum_{k=0}^n \binom{n}{k} f^{(n-k)}(x)g^{(k)}(x)
$$

As well as this identity:

$$
\binom{n+1}{k} = \binom{n}{k} + \binom{n}{k-1}
$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I go out to prove this by induction. I've already shown that the base case is true; that is easy and I do not have problems with that.

So thus I go about assuming this is true for some ##n##, then to show truth for ##n+1## I derive the whole thing and rearrange a bit
$$
f(x)g^{(n+1)}(x) = \sum_{k=0}^n (-1)^k \binom{n}{k} \frac{d^{n-k+1}}{dx^{n-k+1}} \left[ f^{(k)}(x)g(x) \right] - f'(x)g^{(n)}(x)
$$
Because we assumed that the ##n## case is true, we get:
$$
f(x)g^{(n+1)}(x) = \sum_{k=0}^n (-1)^k \binom{n}{k} \frac{d^{n-k+1}}{dx^{n-k+1}} \left[ f^{(k)}(x)g(x) \right] - \frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} \sum_{k=0}^n (-1)^k \binom{n}{k} \frac{d^{n-k}}{dx^{n-k}} \left[ f^{(k)}(x)g(x) \right]
$$
Then, because shift ##k## up in the second term (I don't know the proper name for this process). Note that in doing so I can change the sign as ##(-1)^{k-1}=-(-1)^k##
$$
f(x)g^{(n+1)}(x) = \sum_{k=0}^n (-1)^k \binom{n}{k} \frac{d^{n-k+1}}{dx^{n-k+1}} \left[ f^{(k)}(x)g(x) \right] + \frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} \sum_{k=1}^{n+1} (-1)^k \binom{n}{k-1} \frac{d^{n-k+1}}{dx^{n-k+1}} \left[ f^{(k-1)}(x)g(x) \right]
$$
This is where I have become stuck. I am trying to get to this point, after which I can finish the rest of the problem:
$$
f(x)g^{(n+1)}(x) = \sum_{k=0}^n (-1)^k \binom{n}{k} \frac{d^{n-k+1}}{dx^{n-k+1}} \left[ f^{(k)}(x)g(x) \right] + \sum_{k=1}^{n+1} (-1)^k \binom{n}{k-1} \frac{d^{n-k+1}}{dx^{n-k+1}} \left[ f^{(k)}(x)g(x) \right]
$$

As far as I know (this may the point where I am completely overseeing something), to get there, this would require that:
$$
\frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} \frac{d^{n-k+1}}{dx^{n-k+1}} \left[ f^{(k-1)}(x)g(x) \right]=\frac{d^{n-k+1}}{dx^{n-k+1}} \left[ f^{(k)}(x)g(x) \right]
$$
,which doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Anyway, I tried breaking down the above equation further anyway, so that I get:
$$
\frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} \sum_{l=0}^{n-k+1}f^{(k+n-l)}(x)g^{(l)}(x) = \sum_{l=0}^{n-k+1}f^{(k+n+1-l)}(x)g^{(l)}(x)
$$

I can't find how this statement can be true, because it seems like to me that the only way to make this true is if ##\frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} f^{(a-1)}=f^{(a)}## for some natural number ##a##, which is not true. (In general, I am baffled on how I'm supposed to get rid of the ##\frac{f'(x)}{f(x)}## term)

I've tried re-doing this and checking my work but I always end up at the same point. I am wondering if there is some glaring mistake or oversight that I missed (perhaps in doing the derivatives in the sums?), or some principle that I overlooked along the way trying to do this problem.

Thanks in advance~

Physics news on Phys.org
Tcw7468 said:

Homework Statement

In the problem, I should provide proof for the statement, where ##f^{(n)}(x)## denotes the ##n##th derivative of the function ##f(x)##:

$$
f(x)g^{(n)}(x) = \sum_{k=0}^n (-1)^k \binom{n}{k} \frac{d^{n-k}}{dx^{n-k}} \left[ f^{(k)}(x)g(x) \right]
$$
I don't think the above is true at all. After all, it's just f(x) times the n-th derivative of g, so how would it be a sum involving derivatives of both f and g?
Tcw7468 said:

Homework Equations

The previous question which I already proved may be useful

$$
\frac{d^{n}}{dx^{n}} \left[ f(x)g(x) \right] = \sum_{k=0}^n \binom{n}{k} f^{(n-k)}(x)g^{(k)}(x)
$$

As well as this identity:

$$
\binom{n+1}{k} = \binom{n}{k} + \binom{n}{k-1}
$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I go out to prove this by induction. I've already shown that the base case is true; that is easy and I do not have problems with that.

So thus I go about assuming this is true for some ##n##, then to show truth for ##n+1## I derive the whole thing and rearrange a bit
$$
f(x)g^{(n+1)}(x) = \sum_{k=0}^n (-1)^k \binom{n}{k} \frac{d^{n-k+1}}{dx^{n-k+1}} \left[ f^{(k)}(x)g(x) \right] - f'(x)g^{(n)}(x)
$$
Because we assumed that the ##n## case is true, we get:
$$
f(x)g^{(n+1)}(x) = \sum_{k=0}^n (-1)^k \binom{n}{k} \frac{d^{n-k+1}}{dx^{n-k+1}} \left[ f^{(k)}(x)g(x) \right] - \frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} \sum_{k=0}^n (-1)^k \binom{n}{k} \frac{d^{n-k}}{dx^{n-k}} \left[ f^{(k)}(x)g(x) \right]
$$
Then, because shift ##k## up in the second term (I don't know the proper name for this process). Note that in doing so I can change the sign as ##(-1)^{k-1}=-(-1)^k##
$$
f(x)g^{(n+1)}(x) = \sum_{k=0}^n (-1)^k \binom{n}{k} \frac{d^{n-k+1}}{dx^{n-k+1}} \left[ f^{(k)}(x)g(x) \right] + \frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} \sum_{k=1}^{n+1} (-1)^k \binom{n}{k-1} \frac{d^{n-k+1}}{dx^{n-k+1}} \left[ f^{(k-1)}(x)g(x) \right]
$$
This is where I have become stuck. I am trying to get to this point, after which I can finish the rest of the problem:
$$
f(x)g^{(n+1)}(x) = \sum_{k=0}^n (-1)^k \binom{n}{k} \frac{d^{n-k+1}}{dx^{n-k+1}} \left[ f^{(k)}(x)g(x) \right] + \sum_{k=1}^{n+1} (-1)^k \binom{n}{k-1} \frac{d^{n-k+1}}{dx^{n-k+1}} \left[ f^{(k)}(x)g(x) \right]
$$

As far as I know (this may the point where I am completely overseeing something), to get there, this would require that:
$$
\frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} \frac{d^{n-k+1}}{dx^{n-k+1}} \left[ f^{(k-1)}(x)g(x) \right]=\frac{d^{n-k+1}}{dx^{n-k+1}} \left[ f^{(k)}(x)g(x) \right]
$$
,which doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Anyway, I tried breaking down the above equation further anyway, so that I get:
$$
\frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} \sum_{l=0}^{n-k+1}f^{(k+n-l)}(x)g^{(l)}(x) = \sum_{l=0}^{n-k+1}f^{(k+n+1-l)}(x)g^{(l)}(x)
$$

I can't find how this statement can be true, because it seems like to me that the only way to make this true is if ##\frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} f^{(a-1)}=f^{(a)}## for some natural number ##a##, which is not true. (In general, I am baffled on how I'm supposed to get rid of the ##\frac{f'(x)}{f(x)}## term)

I've tried re-doing this and checking my work but I always end up at the same point. I am wondering if there is some glaring mistake or oversight that I missed (perhaps in doing the derivatives in the sums?), or some principle that I overlooked along the way trying to do this problem.

Thanks in advance~

Mark44 said:
I don't think the above is true at all. After all, it's just f(x) times the n-th derivative of g, so how would it be a sum involving derivatives of both f and g?

I actually tried this formula raw with a few values of n, and it actually does hold for the various values of n I tested. Obviously that doesn't prove anything rigourously... but it should be a valid problem I think. I did find a pattern arising from doing this manually that I can't seem to put in mathematical terms (the terms resulting from the product rule start to cancel out because of the alternating sign); I'm trying to figure out if I can find out where I went wrong from looking at this pattern...

This is what you wrote in post #1.
Tcw7468 said:
$$
$$
Tcw7468 said:
I actually tried this formula raw with a few values of n, and it actually does hold for the various values of n I tested. Obviously that doesn't prove anything rigourously... but it should be a valid problem I think. I did find a pattern arising from doing this manually that I can't seem to put in mathematical terms (the terms resulting from the product rule start to cancel out because of the alternating sign); I'm trying to figure out if I can find out where I went wrong from looking at this pattern...
If we're talking about the same thing, the formula above doesn't make any sense to me. On the left side is, as I said before, nothing more than f(x) times g(n)(x). There's no addition, and definitely no alternating signs.

The formula you said you proved earlier, ##\frac{d^n}{dx^n} [f(x)g(x)]## is a sum; namely ## \binom{n}{0} f(x)g^{(n)}(x) + \binom{n}{1} f^{(1)}(x)g^{(n - 1)}(x) + \binom{n}{2} f^{(2)}(x)g^{(n - 2)}(x) + \dots + \binom{n}{n} f^{(n)}(x)g(x)##. Are you trying to solve for (isolate) the first term in the sum I wrote? That's the only thing I can think of that makes any sense.

For the first equation, what happens is that if you evaluate the sum on the right side, the alternating sum causes all of the terms to cancel out except for ##f(x)g^{(n)}(x)##.

*Edit*: In other words, if you write out the left hand side as ##\sum_{k=0}^{n} a_k f^{(n-k)}(x) g^{(k)}(x)##, ##a_k = 0## for all ##k## except ##k=n##, in which ##a_n=1##. This is what I have to show, basically.

Mark44 said:
This is what you wrote in post #1.If we're talking about the same thing, the formula above doesn't make any sense to me. On the left side is, as I said before, nothing more than f(x) times g(n)(x). There's no addition, and definitely no alternating signs.

The formula you said you proved earlier, ##\frac{d^n}{dx^n} [f(x)g(x)]## is a sum; namely ## \binom{n}{0} f(x)g^{(n)}(x) + \binom{n}{1} f^{(1)}(x)g^{(n - 1)}(x) + \binom{n}{2} f^{(2)}(x)g^{(n - 2)}(x) + \dots + \binom{n}{n} f^{(n)}(x)g(x)##. Are you trying to solve for (isolate) the first term in the sum I wrote? That's the only thing I can think of that makes any sense.

Last edited:
Tcw7468 said:
$$f(x)g^{(n)}(x) = \sum_{k=0}^n (-1)^k \binom{n}{k} \frac{d^{n-k}}{dx^{n-k}} \left[ f^{(k)}(x)g(x) \right]$$
Let n = 2
Then the left side is ##f(x)g^{(2)}(x)##, or f(x)g''(x).
The right side is ##(-1)^0 1 \frac{d^2}{dx^2}[f^{(0)}(x)g(x) + (-1)^1 2 \frac{d}{dx}[f^{(1)}(x)g(x)] + (-1)^2 1 \frac{d^0}{dx^0}[f^{(2)}(x)g(x)]##
##= g''(x) - 2f''(x)g(x) - 2f'(x)g'(x) + f''(x)g(x) = g''(x) - f''(x)g(x) + f''(x)g(x)##
I'm interpreting ##f^{(0)}(x)## to mean 1, and I'm interpreting ##\frac{d^0}{dx^0}## to be the identity operator, although I've never run across this notation before.

So I still don't see how you can write ##f(x)g^{(n)}(x)## as a sum.

Oh, I forgot to specify that ##f^{(0)}(x)=f(x)##. I apologise; I didn't know that this was non-standard notation, I've seen it quite a few times, so it must be a recent development or something.

For the ##n=2## example:

The left side is ##f(x)g''(x)##.

Thus the right side is: ##(-1)^0 (1) \frac{d^2}{dx^2} [f(x)g(x)] + (-1)^1(2)\frac{d}{dx} [f'(x)g(x)] + (-1)^2(1)[f''(x)g(x)]
=[f(x)g''(x)+2f'(x)g'(x)+f''(x)g(x)]-2[f'(x)g'(x)+f''(x)g(x)]+[f''(x)g(x)]
=(1+0+0)f(x)g''(x) + (2-2+0)f'(x)g'(x) + (1-2+1) f(x)g''(x)
=f(x)g''(x)##.

Meanwhile, I think I'm getting closer, if I can find out how to manipulate the binomial coefficients in order for it to turn out to 0 except for one case, I think I can solve the problem without induction... but I would still be curious anyway on what I did wrong on the induction attempt.

Tcw7468 said:
Oh, I forgot to specify that ##f^{(0)}(x)=f(x)##.
Sure, that makes sense. I think I mixed this one up in my thinking. I'll take another look later today.

FAQ: Function multiplied by nth derivative of another function

1. What is the formula for finding the nth derivative of a function multiplied by another function?

The formula for finding the nth derivative of a function multiplied by another function is given by:(fg)^{(n)} = \sum_{k=0}^{n} {n \choose k} f^{(k)} g^{(n-k)}where f and g are the two functions and n is the order of the derivative.

2. How is the product rule used to find the nth derivative of a function multiplied by another function?

The product rule is used to find the nth derivative of a function multiplied by another function by taking the derivative of each function separately and then multiplying them together, while also considering the order of the derivative. The formula for the product rule is:(fg)^{(n)} = \sum_{k=0}^{n} {n \choose k} f^{(k)} g^{(n-k)}

3. Can the Leibniz notation be used to find the nth derivative of a function multiplied by another function?

Yes, the Leibniz notation can be used to find the nth derivative of a function multiplied by another function. The formula for the Leibniz notation is:\frac{d^{n}(fg)}{dx^{n}} = \sum_{k=0}^{n} {n \choose k} \frac{d^{k}f}{dx^{k}} \frac{d^{n-k}g}{dx^{n-k}}

4. Are there any special cases when finding the nth derivative of a function multiplied by another function?

Yes, there are some special cases when finding the nth derivative of a function multiplied by another function. One example is when one of the functions is a constant, in which case the derivative of that function will be 0. Another special case is when one of the functions is a polynomial, in which case the derivative can be found using the power rule.

5. How can the nth derivative of a function multiplied by another function be useful in real-world applications?

The nth derivative of a function multiplied by another function can be useful in real-world applications such as engineering, physics, and economics. It can be used to find the rate of change of a quantity, the acceleration of a moving object, or the growth rate of a population. In economics, it can be used to find the marginal cost or revenue of a product. Overall, the nth derivative provides a way to analyze and understand the behavior of a system in relation to its input variables.