Function notation for the derivative operator

In summary: D^n f)(a)=\left. \dfrac{d^n}{dx^n} f(x) \right| _{x=a} \\(D_x^n f)(a)=\left. \dfrac{d^n f}{dx^n} \right| _{x=a} = f^{(n)} (a)$$
cra18
If we have the function
[tex]
f : x \mapsto f(x) = 3x^2,
[/tex]
I am used to Lagrange's prime notation for the derivative:
[tex]
f' : x \mapsto f'(x) = 6x.
[/tex]
I'm fond of this notation. But it has been mostly abandoned in my engineering courses in favor of Leibniz's notation, using differential operators such as [itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}[/itex] per the above. I want to express the same relation as the second equation above using Leibniz's notation, but am having a lot of trouble. In particular, I understand that the derivative operator is a function that maps from a set of functions to a set of functions, so if
[tex]
\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} : f \mapsto \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}f
[/tex]
is true, then it seems correct (to me) to write
[tex]
\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}f : a \mapsto \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}f(a),
[/tex]
but I've been told that in order to show that a differentiated function is evaluated at some arbitrary point such as [itex] a [/itex], it is necessary to write something like
[tex]
\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}f(x)\vert_{x=a},
[/tex]
which means that the mappings as I have them are not correct, and it would be more correct to write something like
[tex]
\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} : f(x) \mapsto \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}f(x)
[/tex]
and
[tex]
\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}f(x) : a \mapsto \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}f(x)\vert_{x=a}.
[/tex]

Any help would be greatly appreciated; I'm starting to confuse myself. I am just trying to express the derivative of a function using Leibniz's notation in arrow notation.

Physics news on Phys.org
cra18 said:
If we have the function
[tex]
f : x \mapsto f(x) = 3x^2,
[/tex]
I am used to Lagrange's prime notation for the derivative:
[tex]
f' : x \mapsto f'(x) = 6x.
[/tex]
I'm fond of this notation. But it has been mostly abandoned in my engineering courses in favor of Leibniz's notation, using differential operators such as [itex]\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}[/itex] per the above.
That's difficult to believe. Prime notation is usually more compact than Leibniz notation, if somewhat less explicit, and engineers tend to strive for efficiency.
cra18 said:
I want to express the same relation as the second equation above using Leibniz's notation, but am having a lot of trouble. In particular, I understand that the derivative operator is a function that maps from a set of functions to a set of functions, so if
[tex]
\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} : f \mapsto \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}f
[/tex]
is true, then it seems correct (to me) to write
[tex]
\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}f : a \mapsto \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}f(a),
[/tex]
No, this isn't correct, since d/dx(f(a)) = 0. f(a) is a constant, so its derivative is zero.
cra18 said:
but I've been told that in order to show that a differentiated function is evaluated at some arbitrary point such as [itex] a [/itex], it is necessary to write something like
[tex]
\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}f(x)\vert_{x=a},
[/tex]
which means that the mappings as I have them are not correct, and it would be more correct to write something like
[tex]
\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} : f(x) \mapsto \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}f(x)
[/tex]
This seems very cumbersome.
cra18 said:
and
[tex]
\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}f(x) : a \mapsto \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}f(x)\vert_{x=a}.
[/tex]

Any help would be greatly appreciated; I'm starting to confuse myself. I am just trying to express the derivative of a function using Leibniz's notation in arrow notation.

You're right. It would have to be something like
[tex]
\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}f : a \mapsto \left(\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}f\right)(a) = \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}f(x)\vert_{x=a}.
[/tex]
This is indeed extremely cumbersome, which is probably why I haven't been able to find an example doing this. I think I'll stick with the definition
[tex]
f' : x \mapsto f'(x) = \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x}f(x), [/tex]
though I hate mixing notation.

Thanks for your insight. And the reason why Leibniz notation is favored here is because of how easily linear operators can be implemented in Matlab or some such language using symbolic math packages.

Last edited:
There are other notations for the differentiation operator which aren't saddled with the cumbersome ##x## of ##d/dx##. For functions of a single variable, a simple ##D## is often used:
$$D : f \mapsto f'$$
This notation has the advantage that iteration of the operator can be conveniently indicated with an exponent:
$$D^n : f \mapsto f^{(n)}$$
For functions of multiple variables, one sometimes sees notation like ##D_k## to indicate partial differentiation with respect to the ##k##'th variable.

It is important to know all of the common notations, both because they are in common use and to switch to the form that best in a particular situation. We indicate the

$$\left( \dfrac{d }{dx} \right)^n f(x)=\dfrac{d^n }{dx^n} f(x)=\dfrac{d^n f(x)}{dx^n} = (f(x))^{(n)}=D^n f(x) =D_x^n f(x)$$
The trouble is that f(a) has derivative zero so we must indicate we want to take the derivative, then evaluate it. Not evaluate it, then take the derivative. Two ways to indicate this are to use the evaluation bar, or use the derivative notation without the variable and evaluate the indicated derivative
$$\left. \left( \dfrac{d }{dx} \right)^n f(x) \right| _{x=a}
=\left. \dfrac{d^n }{dx^n} f(x) \right| _{x=a}
=\left. \dfrac{d^n f(x)}{dx^n} \right| _{x=a}
= \left. (f(x))^{(n)} \right| _{x=a}
= \left. D^n f(x) \right| _{x=a}
= \left. D_x^n f(x) \right| _{x=a} \\ \\

\left( \left( \dfrac{d }{dx} \right)^n f \right) (a)
=\left( \dfrac{d^n }{dx^n} f \right) (a)
=\left( \dfrac{d^n f}{dx^n} \right) (a)
= f^{(n)} (a)
=(D^n f)(a) =(D_x^n f)(a)$$

in summary

$$D(f(x))=(D f)(x)=\dfrac{d}{dx} f(x) \\
(D f)(a)=\left. \dfrac{d}{dx} f(x) \right| _{x=a} \\
D(f(a))=\dfrac{d}{dx} f(a)=0$$

Thanks for all of the answers. And that was incredibly helpful lurflurf.

Related to Function notation for the derivative operator

1. What is function notation for the derivative operator?

The derivative operator is represented by the symbol d/dx, which is read as "the derivative with respect to x". It is used to indicate the rate of change of a function with respect to its input variable, or in other words, the slope of the function's graph at a particular point.

2. How is function notation for the derivative operator used?

This notation is used to represent the derivative of a function as a whole, rather than just evaluating it at a specific point. It allows for a more general and abstract understanding of the function's behavior and can be used in various mathematical and scientific contexts.

3. Can the derivative operator be applied to any type of function?

Yes, the derivative operator can be applied to any type of function, including polynomial, exponential, logarithmic, trigonometric, and more. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to analyze the behavior of functions in various fields of science and engineering.

4. How is the derivative of a function written using function notation?

The derivative of a function f(x) can be written using function notation as d/dx[f(x)] or f'(x). The prime notation is a shorthand for the derivative operator, and both notations indicate the same thing - the rate of change of the function f(x) with respect to x.

5. What are the advantages of using function notation for the derivative operator?

Function notation allows for a more abstract and general representation of the derivative of a function, which is useful in advanced mathematical and scientific contexts. It also allows for a more concise and consistent notation, making it easier to work with and communicate about derivatives of functions.