Functional Relationship of 555 Monostable PWM

In summary, a 555 Monostable PWM is an electronic circuit that uses a 555 timer IC to generate a stable output pulse for a specific period of time. It works by triggering the IC with a capacitor and can be adjusted for precise control of the output signal. The main purpose of this circuit is to control the duty cycle of the output signal, allowing for efficient use of power and precise control of electronic devices. Some advantages of using a 555 Monostable PWM include its simplicity, low cost, and versatility. To design a 555 Monostable PWM circuit, one would need to calculate the values of resistors and capacitors based on the desired duty cycle and frequency, using a 555 timer IC datasheet and an
martyg314
Hi-

This lab question has me stumped...

Homework Statement

Derive an equation describing the effect of the control voltage on the pules width for a 555 pulse width modulation circuit (monostable circuit).

Homework Equations

width = 1.1*R*C

The Attempt at a Solution

I took data and plotted it in mathematica. At first it looked linear and I realized that the control voltages are relative to the 2/3 threshold voltage, so I thought a linear equation:

output pulse width = Vctrl/Vth * 1.1*R*C

But that fit didn't work. I've tried different exponential fits, but nothing that matches the data even closely.

I realize my data could be faulty, but even though nothing I've researched online or in my texts gives any functional relationship of output width with respect to control voltage.

Thanks,
MG

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear MG,

Thank you for reaching out about this lab question. After reviewing your post, I can understand why you may be stumped. However, I believe I can provide some insight and potential solutions to your problem.

Firstly, it is important to note that in a 555 pulse width modulation circuit, the control voltage affects the charging and discharging of the capacitor, which in turn affects the pulse width. As you mentioned, the equation for pulse width is 1.1*R*C. This equation assumes that the charging and discharging of the capacitor is a linear process. However, in reality, the charging and discharging of a capacitor is an exponential process. This could explain why your linear fit did not work.

To accurately describe the effect of control voltage on pulse width, you may need to use a more complex equation that takes into account the exponential nature of the charging and discharging process. One possible equation is:

output pulse width = (Vctrl/Vth)^n * 1.1*R*C

Where n is a constant that takes into account the non-linearity of the charging and discharging process. This equation may provide a better fit to your data.

Additionally, it is important to ensure that your data is accurate and precise. Double-check your measurements and consider taking more data points to improve the accuracy of your results. You can also try using a simulation software to verify your results and compare them to your data.

I hope this helps and good luck with your lab question! Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Related to Functional Relationship of 555 Monostable PWM

1. What is a 555 Monostable PWM?

A 555 Monostable PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) is a type of electronic circuit that utilizes a 555 timer IC to generate a stable output pulse for a specific period of time. It is commonly used in electronic devices such as motor controllers, LED drivers, and power supplies.

2. How does a 555 Monostable PWM work?

The 555 Monostable PWM works by using a capacitor to trigger the 555 timer IC, which then outputs a high pulse for a set amount of time. The duration of the pulse can be adjusted by varying the values of resistors and capacitors in the circuit, allowing for precise control of the output signal.

3. What is the purpose of using a 555 Monostable PWM?

The main purpose of using a 555 Monostable PWM is to control the output signal's duty cycle, which refers to the ratio of time the signal is high to the total period of the signal. This allows for efficient use of power and precise control of electronic devices.

4. What are the advantages of using a 555 Monostable PWM?

Some advantages of using a 555 Monostable PWM include its simplicity, low cost, and versatility. It can be easily integrated into various electronic circuits and can control a wide range of devices that require precise timing and control of output signals.

5. How do I design a 555 Monostable PWM circuit?

To design a 555 Monostable PWM circuit, you will need to calculate the values of resistors and capacitors needed based on the desired output signal's duty cycle and frequency. It is recommended to use a 555 timer IC datasheet and an online calculator to assist in the design process.