Functions and Rearranging Help

In summary, the task is to evaluate the compositions of two defined functions, f(x) and g(x), and simplify the answer into the form (ax+b)/(cx+d). To do this, you need to substitute one function into the other and then simplify the resulting expression. Remember to combine terms and use the fact that 1/(ax+b) can be rewritten as (cx+d)/(ax+b).
liamporter1702
Two functions are defined as:
f(x) = 1/(-10x+14)+17
g(x) = 1/(-4x-3)

Find fg(x) and gf(x) and simplify answer into form (ax+b)/(cx+d) where a,b,c and d are numbers to be found.

I know it is common practice to put in some of my own attempts onto here, but I am not even getting remotely close to an answer. :s

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
fg(x) is defined to be equal to f(x)g(x) for all x in the intersection of the domains of f and g, so you just multiply the equations together.

But it sounds like you are expecting fg and gf to be two different functions, which suggests there's a typo in your question.

edit: there has to be a typo in your question, because fg and gf wouldn't be of the form (ax+b)/(cx+d)

liamporter1702 said:
Two functions are defined as:
f(x) = 1/(-10x+14)+17
g(x) = 1/(-4x-3)
For the first function, what you wrote is
$$ f(x) = \frac{1}{-10x + 14} + 17$$
Is that what you intended to write?
liamporter1702 said:
Find fg(x) and gf(x) and simplify answer into form (ax+b)/(cx+d) where a,b,c and d are numbers to be found.

I know it is common practice to put in some of my own attempts onto here, but I am not even getting remotely close to an answer. :s

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

GFauxPas said:
fg(x) is defined to be equal to f(x)g(x) for all x in the intersection of the domains of f and g, so you just multiply the equations together.

But it sounds like you are expecting fg and gf to be two different functions, which suggests there's a typo in your question.

edit: there has to be a typo in your question, because fg and gf wouldn't be of the form (ax+b)/(cx+d)

I think the question is to evaluate the compositions, not the product. I.e. f(g(x)) and g(f(x)). Those are different and are of that form.

Dick said:
I think the question is to evaluate the compositions, not the product. I.e. f(g(x)) and g(f(x)). Those are different and are of that form.
That's my take as well, Dick.

liamporter1702 said:
I know it is common practice to put in some of my own attempts onto here, but I am not even getting remotely close to an answer.

At least show us how you started. Then we can tell you if you're starting off OK, and if not, give you hints on which way you should be going.

liamporter1702 said:
It's not just common practice - it's a requirement of this board.

From what I understood of the question and from the previous questions is to substitute g(x) into f(x), which I think you're right, it would be written like f(g(x)) and vice versa for g(f(x)). Sorry about not making this clearer, this is my first time learning about functions.

I attempted to substitute 1/(-4x-3) into 1/(-10x+14)+17 to give 1/(-10(1/(-4x-3))+14)+17 (sorry I can't make these equations easier to read, I'm not sure how to).

From there on I got a bit lost with the simplifying.

Am I on the right track by substituting one equation into the other and and I just need to look back at my simplifying or am I going about this completely wrong?

liamporter1702 said:
Am I on the right track by substituting one equation into the other and and I just need to look back at my simplifying or am I going about this completely wrong?
What you did in your previous post looks like you're on the right track.

You have 1/(-10(1/(-4x-3))+14)+17 = f(g(x)).
To simplify, ##\frac{1}{-10 \left(\frac{1}{-4x-3} \right)+14}+17##, first, combine terms on the bottom of the fraction to get something of the form ##\frac{1}{\frac{ax+b}{cx+d}}+17##
Next, note that ##\frac{1}{\frac{ax+b}{cx+d}}=\frac{cx+d}{ax+b}##

liamporter1702 said:
From what I understood of the question and from the previous questions is to substitute g(x) into f(x), which I think you're right, it would be written like f(g(x)) and vice versa for g(f(x)). Sorry about not making this clearer, this is my first time learning about functions

You can also write ##f \circ g (x) = f(g(x)), g\circ f (x) = g(f(x))## if you're looking for notation.

FAQ: Functions and Rearranging Help

1. What are functions and why are they important in science?

Functions are mathematical relationships that describe how one variable depends on another. They are important in science because they allow us to model and understand complex systems and make predictions based on data.

2. How do I rearrange a function?

In order to rearrange a function, you need to isolate the variable you want to solve for on one side of the equation. This can be done by using algebraic rules such as adding, subtracting, multiplying, or dividing both sides of the equation by the same number.

3. Can functions be used in different fields of science?

Yes, functions are used in various fields of science such as physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. They are a fundamental tool for analyzing and understanding relationships between variables in any scientific discipline.

4. What is the difference between dependent and independent variables in a function?

The independent variable is the one that is being manipulated or changed in an experiment, while the dependent variable is the one that is being measured and affected by the independent variable. In a function, the independent variable is usually represented by x and the dependent variable by y.

5. How can I graph a function?

To graph a function, you can plot points by choosing different values for the independent variable and then finding the corresponding values for the dependent variable. These points can then be connected to create a visual representation of the function. Alternatively, you can also use a graphing calculator or software to graph functions.

Back