Functions: instead of plotting points, can you move planes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of representing functions by a single fixed point and having the planes move around it instead of plotting points on a steady x and y axis. This idea is used in geology to explain the formation of volcanoes and is also applicable in mathematics when describing complicated equations as translations of simpler ones.
grisman
This is a question that has been burning for some time, I have been wondering, instead of plotting the different points of a function onto a steady x and y axis, is it possible to have a single point (at the origin) and have the planes move instead. The space moving around the point.

When I think about it, there are a lot of problems. Let's say y=sinX. Our plane I imagine as y=0 and x=0. Our point begins at the origin and itself does not move. Towards the interval x=pi/2 I imagine the plane has now shifted to the x-axis being defined as y=-1 (to account for the upward movement of the stationary point. I imagine a pen held steady while I move a piece a piece of paper. I pull down to draw the ink upward) and our y-axis as now x=-pi/2.

And I also wonder with directions, say for the same function, if I wish to picture both directions occurring at the same time, my plane has now split into two planes which began at y=0, x=0 as my axis' and (0,0) as my only point.

Instead of equations describing relationships between the dimensions and the points, if instead there were ways to desribe moving planes with a stationary point defined by the origin.

And I wonder if this is a redundant way to think of it, as I still am relating my new planes, to the original plane, and/or if the current system can already be thought of it as this way.

I'm sorry to ask such a question as I know I haven't worded it all that well, its just been on my mind a LOT lately. I just wish to know if this is a valid idea somewhere in mathematics, and to keep it in mind; or if its just not applicable. I don't require a complex answer, I just want to know to know if this has any worth to it.

thank you if you have read this far

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Sure, you could think of things this way - as a fixed point with the plane moving under it. There is some precedence for this in geology, in relation to the volcanoes in the Hawaiian Islands. If you think of the seafloor as being fixed, it appears that volcanoes have erupted along a roughly NE to SW line, with older volcanoes at the NE end and younger ones in the SW. The current thinking is that there is a fixed hot spot in the Earth's mantle, and the crust itself (the Pacific Plate) has been moving over the hot spot.

As far as mathematics is concerned, it's probably more complicated to describe the motion of the coordinate plane than to describe the motion of a point on a curve, but the two ways of looking at things would be equivalent. Your idea is used, to some extent, when we describe complicated equations as translations of simpler equations.

For example, the graph of y = (x - 2)2 + 3 is nothing more than a translation to the right by 2 units, and a translation up by 3 units of the graph of y = x2.

Related to Functions: instead of plotting points, can you move planes?

1. Can you explain what a function is?

A function is a mathematical concept that describes a relationship between inputs and outputs. It takes in one or more input values and produces a corresponding output value. In simpler terms, it is like a machine that takes in something and gives out something else.

2. How is a function different from plotting points?

Plotting points involves graphing individual points on a coordinate plane to show the relationship between two variables. Functions, on the other hand, represent a general relationship between inputs and outputs and can be represented by a graph, table, or equation. In other words, functions provide a more comprehensive understanding of the relationship between variables.

3. Can you move planes instead of plotting points in a function?

Yes, it is possible to move planes in a function. This is known as translation, where the entire function is shifted vertically or horizontally. It does not change the shape or characteristics of the function, but it changes its position on the coordinate plane.

4. What is the purpose of using functions instead of plotting points?

Functions allow us to see the relationship between variables in a more organized and comprehensive way. It also helps us make predictions and analyze patterns in a more efficient manner. Additionally, functions can be used to model real-life situations and make predictions based on data.

5. How do you determine if a function is linear or nonlinear?

A linear function is a straight line on a coordinate plane, while a nonlinear function is not a straight line. To determine if a function is linear, we can look at its graph or its equation. If the equation is in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept, then it is a linear function. Nonlinear functions have equations that are not in this form, such as quadratic or exponential functions.