Functions:using discriminant to find number of x-intercepts

• Thread starter Evangeline101
  • Start date
In summary: Oh okay, I get it :) In summary, the three equations have different discriminant values and the third equation has a zero discriminant.
Evangeline101

Homework Statement

upload_2016-5-21_13-0-5.png

Homework Equations

Discriminant: b2 - 4ac

The Attempt at a Solution

a) [/B]f(x) = 3x2 – 5x + 1

y = 3x2 – 5x +1

Substitute a=3, b= -5, c=1 into the discriminant:

b2 – 4ac = (-5)2 – 4(3)(1)

=25 – 12

= 13 This number is positive.

Since b2 – 4ac > 0, there are two real roots, so the quadrative function has two x-intercepts.

b) f(x) = 2x2 + x +1

y = 2x2 + x +1

Substitute a=2, b=1, c=1 into the discriminant:

b2 – 4ac = (1)2 – 4(2)(1)

= 1 – 8

= -7 This number is negative.

Since b2 – 4ac < 0, there are no real roots, so the quadratic function does not have any x-intercepts.

c) f(x) = 4x2 – 12x + 9

y = 4x2 – 12x + 9

Substitute a=4, b= -12, c=9 into the discriminant:

b2 – 4ac = (-12)2 – 4(4)(9)

=144 – 144

= 0

Since b2 – 4ac = 0, there is one (double) real root, so the quadratic function has one x-intercept.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is absolutely correct. You can additionally verify by drawing the graphs for the equations.

Okay. Thanks for verifying my answer :biggrin:

Evangeline101 said:
Okay. Thanks for verifying my answer :biggrin:

You are welcome. However you could have done it yourself by hand-drawing the graph or using a graphing calculator.

Mastermind01 said:
However you could have done it yourself by hand-drawing the graph or using a graphing calculator.

Oh okay. But this is the way they taught me in the lesson, they did not ask me to graph anything.

Evangeline101 said:
Oh okay. But this is the way they taught me in the lesson, they did not ask me to graph anything.

What you did / they taught is correct. What I am saying is instead of asking here you could have verified your answer yourself by graphing. It's also a good way to check your answer when you don't have access to the forum.

Mastermind01 said:
What you did / they taught is correct. What I am saying is instead of asking here you could have verified your answer yourself by graphing. It's also a good way to check your answer when you don't have access to the forum.

Oh okay, I get it :)
Thanks again for the help.

Attachments

• upload_2016-5-21_13-30-38.png
    upload_2016-5-21_13-30-38.png
    2 KB · Views: 546

Related to Functions:using discriminant to find number of x-intercepts

1. What is the discriminant in a function?

The discriminant in a function is a mathematical term that represents the part of the quadratic formula under the square root symbol. It is calculated by taking the square root of b²-4ac, where a, b, and c are the coefficients in the quadratic equation ax²+bx+c=0. The discriminant can be used to determine the nature and number of solutions of a quadratic equation.

2. How do you use the discriminant to find the number of x-intercepts?

To find the number of x-intercepts of a quadratic function, you can use the discriminant to determine the nature of the solutions. If the discriminant is greater than 0, then there are two distinct x-intercepts. If the discriminant is equal to 0, then there is one x-intercept. And if the discriminant is less than 0, there are no x-intercepts (the function does not intersect the x-axis).

3. Can the discriminant be negative?

Yes, the discriminant can be negative. This indicates that the quadratic function has no real solutions, and therefore no x-intercepts. In other words, the graph of the function does not intersect the x-axis at any point.

4. What does the value of the discriminant tell us about the solutions of a quadratic equation?

The value of the discriminant can tell us the nature and number of solutions of a quadratic equation. If the discriminant is greater than 0, then there are two distinct real solutions. If the discriminant is equal to 0, then there is one real solution. And if the discriminant is less than 0, there are no real solutions (the solutions are complex numbers).

5. Can the discriminant be used for functions other than quadratic functions?

No, the discriminant is a term specific to quadratic functions and cannot be used for other types of functions. This is because the quadratic formula, which involves the discriminant, is only applicable to quadratic functions (functions with a degree of 2). Other types of functions, such as linear or exponential functions, have their own methods for finding the number of x-intercepts.