Fundamental Counting Principle

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of induction to prove the Fundamental Counting Principle in the context of set theory. The process of induction is explained and examples are given to understand the concept better. The question of how to prove the principle without using it is also raised, highlighting the need for a mathematical justification.
ElderBirk
Hey Guys,

So, I am trying to prove the Fundamental Counting Principle using induction. I have no clue where to start or even how to use induction to prove it. I would appreciate some help.

The Question in a mathematical form: Let [itex]^\sharp (A) = m[/itex] and [itex] ^\sharp (B) = n[/itex]. Proove by induction that [itex] ^\sharp (A \times B) = mn [/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
well induction proofs have two parts:
1) select an m and n and proof its true like #A=m=0 and #B=n=0
2) assume there's an n and m that is true
and add an element to the B set which then adds m elements to AxB set right?

jedishrfu said:
well induction proofs have two parts:
1) select an m and n and proof its true like #A=m=0 and #B=n=0
2) assume there's an n and m that is true
and add an element to the B set which then adds m elements to AxB set right?

Well, that doesn't really sound right, if [itex]^\sharp (A) = 0[/itex], it means [itex]A = \emptyset [/itex]. As far as I understand induction, it has to do with adding our initial assumption to the second assumption and getting to the third assumption. Adding an emptyset doesn't make that much sense.

If I initially start with sets with 1 elements, then assume [itex]^\sharp (A) = m[/itex] and [itex]^\sharp (B) = n[/itex], How can I show if [itex]^\sharp (A) = m +1 [/itex] then [itex]^\sharp (A \times B) = mn + n[/itex] without using the fundamental counting principle, which is what I am trying to prove.

Last edited:
if you cross the empty set with the empty you get? drum roll please the empty set right?

hence #A is zero and #B is zero and the empty set is zero right?

suppose the A set is the set of vowels and the B set is the consonants and neither set has Y.

#A=5 and #B=20 so #(AxB) = 100 now adding Y to A (its the hidden vowel of english) changes #A to 6

and since AxB means pairing Y with each element of B how many new elements are added to AxB?

Read up on induction there are two parts to the proof:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_proof

jedishrfu said:
if you cross the empty set with the empty you get? drum roll please the empty set right?

hence #A is zero and #B is zero and the empty set is zero right?

suppose the A set is the set of vowels and the B set is the consonants and neither set has Y.

#A=4 and #B=20 so #(AxB) = 80 now adding Y to A (its the hidden vowel of english) changes #A to 5

and since AxB means pairing Y with each element of B how many new elements are added to AxB?

Haha, thanks for the explanation. I love the drum roll part. Anyhow let's get back to the question:

I obviously know and understand what's going on. The problem is showing whatever is happening mathematically. Remember, Duh or an example is not a proof.

So I know that [itex]\emptyset \times \emptyset = \emptyset[/itex]. Let's look at the structure of an induction outside of this context.

Let [itex]A = \left\{n \in A | P(n) \right\} [/itex]. I want to show if [itex]1 \in A[/itex] and [itex]k \in A[/itex] and [itex] k+1 \in A[/itex] then [itex]A = \mathbb{Z}^+[/itex], where [itex]p(n)[/itex] is the condition for A.

The theory of induction stands on the fact that it starts with one. Showing that [itex] ^\sharp (\emptyset \times \emptyset) = 0[/itex] serves no purpose. Other than that, I understand that if I add 1 to m and make it 1+m the total number will be n+nm. But what is the mathematical justification for that, how can I show this without using the fundamental counting principle, since it is what I am trying to prove?

Last edited:

FAQ: Fundamental Counting Principle

What is the Fundamental Counting Principle?

The Fundamental Counting Principle is a mathematical concept that states that the total number of ways to choose or arrange a set of items is equal to the product of the number of options for each individual item.

How is the Fundamental Counting Principle used in probability?

The Fundamental Counting Principle is used in probability to calculate the total number of possible outcomes in a given event or experiment. It allows us to determine the probability of a specific outcome by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes.

Can the Fundamental Counting Principle be applied to any type of problem?

Yes, the Fundamental Counting Principle can be applied to any problem that involves counting the number of ways to choose or arrange a set of items. This can include problems in probability, combinations, permutations, and other mathematical concepts.

What is the difference between combinations and permutations?

Combinations and permutations both involve calculating the number of ways to arrange a set of items. However, combinations do not consider the order of the items, while permutations do. In other words, combinations are used when the order of the items does not matter, while permutations are used when the order does matter.

Can the Fundamental Counting Principle be used for larger sets of items?

Yes, the Fundamental Counting Principle can be used for larger sets of items. It is a scalable concept that can be applied to any number of items, as long as the number of options for each item is known. However, for very large numbers, it may be more efficient to use other mathematical concepts such as binomial coefficients.