Fundamental Equations in Physics: Uncovering the Building Blocks of the Universe

• Thread starter learypost
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fundamental
In summary, the most fundamental equations in physics would be a set of equations from which all of physics could be derived, similar to the ZFC Set Theory axioms in mathematics. This set would likely include the Einstein Equation and some equations from the Standard Model. As for the most fundamental constants, they would be those that cannot be derived from any other constants, such as c, μo, and εo. However, it is possible that even these constants could be derived from a smaller set of more fundamental constants.
learypost
What would be the most fundamental equations in physics? For example, I know that all of electrodynamics can be obtained from Maxwell's Equations; therefore, Maxwell's Equations would be a complete set of the most fundamental equations of EM. However, something like PV=nRT can be derived from other equations of motion so it is not a fundamental equation.

In other words, what is the smallest set of equations from which all of physics could be recovered? Kind of like the equivalent of the ZFC Set Theory axioms (from which, in theory, all of math can be derived) but for physics. I would guess that it would be the Einstein Equation and some equations of the Standard Model.

Physics news on Phys.org
As kind of a follow up, what would be the most fundamental constants? For example, c, μo, and εo would not all be include since anyone can be derived from the other two.

learypost said:
As kind of a follow up, what would be the most fundamental constants? For example, c, μo, and εo would not all be include since anyone can be derived from the other two.

I don't know, but I have done Google searches on "fundamental constants" that gave me the answers.

I would say all three of Newton's Laws could be obtained from [itex] F = \frac{\Delta P}{\Delta T} [/itex] so it would be pretty fundamental.

JHamm said:
I would say all three of Newton's Laws could be obtained from [itex] F = \frac{\Delta P}{\Delta T} [/itex] so it would be pretty fundamental.

But Newton's Laws aren't valid. You have to use relativity, that's why I suggested Einstein's Equations.

Related to Fundamental Equations in Physics: Uncovering the Building Blocks of the Universe

What are the "Most Fundamental Equations"?

The "Most Fundamental Equations" refer to a set of mathematical equations that are considered to be the foundation of various fields of science, including physics and chemistry. These equations describe fundamental concepts and principles that govern the behavior of the physical world.

Why are the "Most Fundamental Equations" important?

The "Most Fundamental Equations" are important because they provide a fundamental understanding of how the universe works. They serve as the basis for theories and calculations in various scientific disciplines, and have been proven to accurately describe and predict natural phenomena.

What are some examples of "Most Fundamental Equations"?

Examples of "Most Fundamental Equations" include Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2, which relates mass and energy, and Newton's Second Law of Motion F=ma, which describes the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration.

Can the "Most Fundamental Equations" be modified or improved?

Yes, the "Most Fundamental Equations" can be modified or improved upon as our understanding of the universe evolves. Scientists are constantly working to refine and expand upon these equations to better describe the complexities of the natural world.

How can knowledge of the "Most Fundamental Equations" benefit us?

Knowledge of the "Most Fundamental Equations" can benefit us in many ways. It can help us understand the physical world around us, make predictions and calculations, and develop new technologies and advancements that improve our lives. These equations also serve as a basis for further scientific exploration and discovery.