Fundamental frequency and changes to it

In summary, the fundamental frequency of a stretched wire vibrating in its fundamental mode can be calculated using the formula F= \frac{1}{2L}\sqrt[]{\frac{T}{\mu}}. If the wire's length is halved, its diameter is doubled, and its tension is increased five-fold, the new fundamental frequency would be 384*√5 Hz.
brunettegurl

Homework Statement

A stretched wire vibrates in its fundamental mode at a frequency of 384 Hz. What would be the fundamental frequency if the wire were half as long, its diameter were doubled, and its tension were increased five-fold?

Homework Equations

F= [tex]\frac{1}{2L}[/tex][tex]\sqrt[]{\frac{T}{\mu}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

ok i know that this F= [tex]\frac{1}{2L}[/tex][tex]\sqrt[]{\frac{T}{\mu}}[/tex] is the formula for the one where F1= 384 Hz

i know that length is cut in half and that tension increases by 5and when the diameter is doubled that means mass is quadrupled my problem is that i don't know how to show that wrt [tex]\mu[/tex]
for the second frequency would my equation look like
F2= [tex]\frac{1}{2(L/2)}[/tex][tex]\sqrt[]{\frac{5*T}{4*\mu}}[/tex]
and then if we cancel off the 2 in the l would it look like F= [tex]\frac{1}{L}[/tex][tex]\sqrt[]{\frac{5*T}{\mu}}[/tex] *[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you have it then right?

384*√5

thanx i wasnt sure if it looked right

Related to Fundamental frequency and changes to it

What is fundamental frequency?

Fundamental frequency is the lowest frequency at which an object or system can naturally vibrate, also known as its "natural frequency". It is a characteristic property of an object and is determined by its size, shape, and material.

How is fundamental frequency measured?

Fundamental frequency is typically measured in Hertz (Hz), which is the number of cycles per second of a vibrating object. It can be measured using specialized instruments such as an oscilloscope or a spectrum analyzer.

What factors can affect fundamental frequency?

The fundamental frequency of an object can be affected by a variety of factors, including the object's shape, size, material, and the presence of any external forces or vibrations. Changes in these factors can cause variations in the fundamental frequency.

Can fundamental frequency change over time?

Yes, the fundamental frequency of an object can change over time, especially if there are changes in the object's physical properties. For example, a guitar string will have a different fundamental frequency if it is stretched or loosened.

How does the fundamental frequency relate to sound and music?

The fundamental frequency of a vibrating object is directly related to the pitch of the sound it produces. In music, the fundamental frequency is the basis for determining the notes and intervals in a musical scale. Changes in the fundamental frequency can alter the perceived pitch and timbre of a sound.