Fundamental Group of the projective plane after we remove n points?

In summary, the fundamental group of a projective plane after removing n points can be determined through Van Kampens Theorem, resulting in a free group on n generators. However, considering the projective plane as a quotient of the sphere, the fundamental group is equivalent to the free group on 2n-1 generators. It is important to note that when removing points on the projective plane, they correspond to point pairs on the sphere, resulting in only n distinct points. This means that the fundamental group can also be determined by removing 2n-1 points on the Euclidean plane through stereographic projection.
Geometrick
So I have been wondering, what is the fundamental group of a projective plane after we remove n points?

I tried doing this using Van Kampens Theorem, maybe I am applying in incorrectly, I am getting that it is the Free group on n generators.

However, when I think of RP^2 as a quotient of the sphere, it's the same thing as a sphere with 2n points removed, which is the same thing as the Euclidean plane with 2n-1 points removed by stereographic projection, which has Fundamental Group F(2n-1), the free group on 2n-1 generators.

Which is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not an expert in algebraic topology by any means, but keep in mind that each of the pair of points that you remove is equivalent on the sphere so you only have n distinct points. You really only map the top half of the sphere to Euclidean space and only half the points will be on that half of the sphere (you might have some trouble with boundary points but you can pick an equator that doesn't pass through any of your points).

Hope this helps (sorry if it doesn't)

Office_Shredder said:
Not an expert in algebraic topology by any means, but keep in mind that each of the pair of points that you remove is equivalent on the sphere so you only have n distinct points. You really only map the top half of the sphere to Euclidean space and only half the points will be on that half of the sphere (you might have some trouble with boundary points but you can pick an equator that doesn't pass through any of your points).

Hope this helps (sorry if it doesn't)

I don't know if that's true; a point removed on the projective plane corresponds to a point, antipodal point pair being removed on the sphere, i.e. the sphere is a 2-1 covering of the projective plane. So removing a point on the projective plane corresponds to removing 2 points on the sphere.

FAQ: Fundamental Group of the projective plane after we remove n points?

1. What is the fundamental group of the projective plane after removing n points?

The fundamental group of a topological space is a mathematical concept that measures the connectedness and non-contractibility of the space. For the projective plane with n points removed, the fundamental group is given by the free group on n generators.

2. How does removing points affect the fundamental group of the projective plane?

Removing points from a topological space changes its fundamental group, as it alters the connectedness and non-contractibility of the space. In the case of the projective plane, removing n points results in a fundamental group with n generators.

3. Can the fundamental group of the projective plane with n points removed be calculated?

Yes, the fundamental group of the projective plane with n points removed can be calculated using the Van Kampen's theorem, which states that the fundamental group of a space obtained by gluing together two subspaces is the amalgamated free product of the fundamental groups of the two subspaces.

4. What is the significance of the fundamental group of the projective plane with n points removed?

The fundamental group of a topological space is an important tool in studying the properties of the space. In the case of the projective plane with n points removed, the fundamental group reflects the effect of removing points on the space's topology and connectivity.

5. How does the number of removed points affect the fundamental group of the projective plane?

The number of removed points directly affects the number of generators in the fundamental group of the projective plane. As more points are removed, the fundamental group becomes more complex, with a higher number of generators.