Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Part II

In summary, the problem was to find the derivative of an integral with limits of 1/x and π/3, using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. The correct solution involves using a substitution and taking the derivative of the integral with respect to the new variable u. Simply plugging in values for a and b is not sufficient.
Mosaness
1. Find the derivative of:
∫cos3(t)

where a = 1/x and b = ∏/3

This was a part of a question on my first calc exam and I just wanted to know if I did it correctly.
We can solve this using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, Part II
The solution would be to simply plug in the values for a and b, which should give a final answer of -1 - cos3(1/x)

Physics news on Phys.org
Mosaness said:
1. Find the derivative of:
∫cos3(t)

where a = 1/x and b = ∏/3

This was a part of a question on my first calc exam and I just wanted to know if I did it correctly.

We can solve this using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, Part II

The solution would be to simply plug in the values for a and b, which should give a final answer of -1 - cos3(1/x)
What was the problem exactly ?

Was it, find [itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\int_{1/x}^{\pi/3}{\cos^3(t)}\,dt\ ?[/itex]

Yes. That was it

It said find the derivative of: and then the integral you gave

No, what you have is incorrect. You do NOT "just plug in values for a and b"- the problem is not quite that simple. In particular, the "Fundamental Theorem of Calculus" says that
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_a^x f(t)dt= f(x)[/tex]
so you have to do something about the facts that
1) "x" is in the lower limit, not the upper.
2) The limit is 1/x, not x.

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{1/x}^{\pi/3} cos^3(t)dt= -\frac{d}{dx}\int_{\pi/3}^{1/x}cos^3(t)dt[/tex]
If you let u= 1/x, that is
[tex]-\frac{d}{dx}\int_{\pi/3}^u cos^3(t)dt= -\frac{du}{dx}\frac{d}{du}\int_{\pi/3}^u cos^3(t)dt[/tex]

The derivative of dF/dx is (du/dx)(dF/du) so you need to find du/dx from the definition of u and dF/du from the "Fundamental Theorem of Calculus".

FAQ: Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Part II

1. What is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Part II?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Part II states that if a function f is continuous on an interval [a,b] and F is any antiderivative of f on [a,b], then the definite integral of f from a to b is equal to F(b) - F(a).

2. What is the difference between Part I and Part II of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

Part I of the theorem states that the definite integral of a function can be calculated by finding the antiderivative and evaluating it at the upper and lower limits of integration. Part II extends this concept to show that the definite integral can also be calculated using any antiderivative of the function.

3. How is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Part II useful in solving mathematical problems?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Part II allows us to easily calculate definite integrals, which can be used to find areas under curves and solve other problems related to continuous functions.

4. Can the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Part II be applied to all functions?

No, the function must be continuous on the interval [a,b] for the theorem to apply. If the function is not continuous, then the antiderivative may not exist and the theorem cannot be used.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Part II?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Part II has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It can be used to calculate areas, volumes, and other quantities that are represented by continuous functions.

Back