Fundamental theorem of counting

In summary, the author is trying to solve a problem with combinatorics and number theory which he is not very well-versed in. He recommends trying to find solutions until you find a pattern that no more solutions can be and using basic formulae.
Saitama

Homework Statement

How many natural numbers are there with the property that they can be expressed as the sum of the cubes of two natural numbers in two different ways.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how should i start. :(

Can somebody give me some ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would run a few numbers in a table and get a feel for how your numbers would work. What if n = a^3 + b^3 is an even number? What does that say about a and b? Also, your problem sounds like an "or" problem, as in n = a^3 + b^3 or n = c^3 + d^3, where a, b, c, d are distinct.

Not an expert in combinatorics or discrete math. Just about to graduate to teach high school math. All my books are in boxes, just moved. Good luck!

Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement

How many natural numbers are there with the property that they can be expressed as the sum of the cubes of two natural numbers in two different ways.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how should i start. :(

Can somebody give me some ideas?

I did this problem by trial-and-error method. So here's how I would start.
  • Firstly is to notice that there can only be two possible answers to this problem:
    + There's no such natural number.
    + If there happens to be some natural number a, which can be expressed as the sum of two cubes in two different ways, then for every natural number b, the number a.b3 should also satisfy the requirement. (Do you know why?)​
  • Then, by trial-and-error method, I found out that [itex]1^3 + 12^3 = 9^3 + 10^3[/itex].

So, how many natural numbers can satisfy the problem's requirement? Can you go from here?

I know that trial-and-error method is not a very good way to go. I think there should be some more elegant way to tackle this problem.

Regards,

Hi VietDao29!
Thanks for the reply! :)

VietDao29 said:
+ If there happens to be some natural number a, which can be expressed as the sum of two cubes in two different ways, then for every natural number b, the number a.b3 should also satisfy the requirement. (Do you know why?)[/INDENT]

No i don't know why is that. :rolleyes:

BTW, i went like this. There are infinitely many natural numbers. So the answer to the question can be infinite. Isn't it? :)

Hmm, I wouldn't know where to start either. :frown:

You seem to have shifted to upper level university problems in number theory.
I suspect that on PF there is only a very limited number of people who can help you with stuff like that.
It is certainly not "Precalculus Mathematics"! :wink:

Don't you have a few problems that I can actually help you with?
Remember I'm only a poor guy with a limited understanding of math and physics. :shy:

Hi ILS! :smile:

I like Serena said:
You seem to have shifted to upper level university problems in number theory.
I suspect that on PF there is only a very limited number of people who can help you with stuff like that.
It is certainly not "Precalculus Mathematics"! :wink:

What? Is it upper level university problem?
Lol, i don't really think so. :D
This problem was stated under "Permutations and Combinations" category. There is a chapter too on this topic in my textbook.

Don't you have a few problems that I can actually help you with?

Yes i do have. :)
But just when i finish off with this topic i will post problems on Complex Numbers.

Remember I'm only a poor guy with a limited understanding of math and physics. :shy:

ROFL! :smile:
The best joke ever.

Pranav-Arora said:
This problem was stated under "Permutations and Combinations" category. There is a chapter too on this topic in my textbook.

Do you have a couple of relevant equations or (names of) methods/theorems then?

Pranav-Arora said:
ROFL! :smile:
The best joke ever.

:blushing:

I like Serena said:
Do you have a couple of relevant equations or (names of) methods/theorems then?

I don't think we do really need theorems here. Its all about logic.
Are you talking about those simple formulae like what is nPr and nCr? Yep they are in my textbook and i know what do they mean. http://ncertbooks.prashanthellina.com/class_11.Mathematics.Mathematics/Ch-07(Permutation%20and%20Combinations%20FINAL%20%2004.01.06).pdf is the chapter from my textbook.

Pranav-Arora said:
I don't think we do really need theorems here. Its all about logic.
Are you talking about those simple formulae like what is nPr and nCr? Yep they are in my textbook and i know what do they mean. http://ncertbooks.prashanthellina.com/class_11.Mathematics.Mathematics/Ch-07(Permutation%20and%20Combinations%20FINAL%20%2004.01.06).pdf is the chapter from my textbook.

It wouldn't hurt to mention those may be relevant...

However, I don't see your current problem mentioned in this chapter.
And I don't think you can solve it with the information in it.

I suspect there is less than a handful of solutions for your problem, but I don't think permutations and combinations are going to help you to proof it.

Probably the best way to go about it, is to simply try and find solutions until you see a pattern that no more solutions can be found.

I like Serena said:
It wouldn't hurt to mention those may be relevant...

However, I don't see your current problem mentioned in this chapter.
And I don't think you can solve it with the information in it.

Yeah its not in that chapter. :)
When i said that this is a problem from my textbook?

I suspect there is less than a handful of solutions for your problem, but I don't think permutations and combinations are going to help you to proof it.

So what should be the solution to it?

Btw, i managed to get the answer key. It says the answer is infinitely many. :rolleyes:

Pranav-Arora said:
Yeah its not in that chapter. :)
When i said that this is a problem from my textbook?

You didn't. ;)

Pranav-Arora said:
So what should be the solution to it?

Btw, i managed to get the answer key. It says the answer is infinitely many. :rolleyes:

I just read VietDao29's post more carefully and he effectively gave the solution. :wink:

I like Serena said:
I just read VietDao29's post more carefully and he effectively gave the solution. :wink:

And i posted a reply too to the VietDao29's post. :)

VietDao29 gave you a solution: a = 13 + 123 = 1729

And he claimed that a.b3 would also be a solution for any b.

[tex]a \cdot b^3 = (1^3 + 12^3) \cdot b^3[/tex]

Can you find numbers p and q such that [itex]a \cdot b^3 = p^3 + q^3[/itex]?

I like Serena said:
VietDao29 gave you a solution: a = 13 + 123 = 1729

And he claimed that a.b3 would also be a solution for any b.

Can you find numbers p and q such that [itex]a \cdot b^3 = p^3 + q^3[/itex]?

That's only possible by trial and error method only. :rolleyes:

Isn't there any simpler way? :)

No, not by trial and error.
Just by using algebraic properties of numbers.

Can you rearrange the parentheses in the expression?

I like Serena said:
No, not by trial and error.
Just by using algebraic properties of numbers.

Can you rearrange the parentheses in the expression?

Are you talking about this expression?

If yes, what i can do is:-
[tex]a \cdot b^3 = (1 \cdot b)^3+(12 \cdot b)^3[/tex]

Aaaaah! :smile:
Do you get it now?

I like Serena said:
Aaaaah! :smile:
Do you get it now?

Maybe.
If i put a value for b in 1b , then it is the value for p and if i put the value of b in 12b then its for q.
Right..?

But how VietDao29 arrived at this equation? :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
Maybe.
If i put a value for b in 1b , then it is the value for p and if i put the value of b in 12b then its for q.
Right..?

Yes, so for any b we find that the number n given by:
[tex]n = 1729 \cdot b^3 = (1 \cdot b)^3 + (12 \cdot b)^3 = (9 \cdot b)^3 + (10 \cdot b)^3[/tex]
is a solution.
Pranav-Arora said:
But how VietDao29 arrived at this equation? :confused:

He realized that if he found one solution he could construct another solution by using exactly this algebraic property.
I don't really know what inspired him.
Probably trial and error combined with some experience.

I like Serena said:
He realized that if he found one solution he could construct another solution be using exactly this algebraic property.

So is the answer infinite? right..?

But aren't there any steps to VietDao's solution? It would have been too difficult for VietDao to find that solution. :rolleyes:

Pranav-Arora said:
So is the answer infinite? right..?

Well, the solution works for b=1.
It works for b=2, and for b=3, and for b=4, and... for b=10000, and...
How many different solution do you think there are?
Pranav-Arora said:
But aren't there any steps to VietDao's solution? It would have been too difficult for VietDao to find that solution. :rolleyes:

Well, he said he used trial and error to find one solution.

I imagine he did something like:
Let's see if I can write [itex]1^3+1^3[/itex] as the sum of two other cubes.
No that's not possible.
Okay, let's try [itex]1^3+2^3[/itex].
Nope again.
Then [itex]1^3+3^3[/itex].
And then [itex]2^3+3^3[/itex].
And then ...
And then ...

It does take some systematic counting, but sooner or later you'd find a solution (if there is one).
And in the process, if you're observant, you might notice some patterns...

I like Serena said:
Well, the solution works for b=1.
It works for b=2, and for b=3, and for b=4, and... for b=10000, and...
How many different solution do you think there are?

Infinite. :D

Well, he said he used trial and error to find one solution.

I imagine he did something like:
Let's see if I can write [itex]1^3+1^3[/itex] as the sum of two other cubes.
No that's not possible.
Okay, let's try [itex]1^3+2^3[/itex].
Nope again.
Then [itex]1^3+3^3[/itex].
And then [itex]2^3+3^3[/itex].
And then ...
And then ...

It does take some systematic counting, but sooner or later you'd find a solution (if there is one).
And in the process, if you're observant, you might notice some patterns...

Ok ok, i get it now. :)
I really don't like the trial and error method, that's why i asked on how did he start off with the question? :)

FAQ: Fundamental theorem of counting

1. What is the Fundamental Theorem of Counting?

The Fundamental Theorem of Counting is a fundamental principle in combinatorics that states that the total number of possible outcomes of a sequence of events is equal to the product of the number of outcomes of each individual event.

2. How is the Fundamental Theorem of Counting used in real life?

The Fundamental Theorem of Counting is used in various real-life scenarios, such as in probability calculations, counting the number of possible combinations in games or puzzles, and in the analysis of genetic combinations.

3. Can the Fundamental Theorem of Counting be applied to infinite sets?

No, the Fundamental Theorem of Counting can only be applied to finite sets, where the number of possible outcomes is countable.

4. Are there any exceptions or limitations to the Fundamental Theorem of Counting?

Yes, there are some cases where the Fundamental Theorem of Counting cannot be applied, such as when there are restrictions or dependencies between the events, or when the events are not equally likely to occur.

5. How does the Fundamental Theorem of Counting differ from the Addition and Multiplication Principles?

The Addition and Multiplication Principles are used to calculate the number of possible outcomes in scenarios where the events are independent and mutually exclusive. The Fundamental Theorem of Counting, on the other hand, can be applied to both dependent and independent events, as long as the total number of outcomes is finite.

Back