Further Maths (Matrices and solving simultaneous equations)

In summary, the conversation discusses the solving of a matrix problem with multiple parts. In the first part, the value of n is found by using the top row of matrix A and the left column of matrix B. In the second part, the conditions for the existence of the inverse matrix A-1 are discussed, specifically that the determinant cannot be 0 and k cannot equal 21. In the third part, different methods for solving simultaneous equations using matrices are mentioned, including Gaussian elimination and the use of the inverse matrix. The conversation ends with a discussion on the general applicability of the matrix method in solving systems of equations.
olee

Homework Statement

2ibnlzt.png

FP1 (MEI June 07)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) Find the value of n
I multiplied the top row of A by the left column of B and got the equation:
-5-16+k=k-n
moved stuff around and ended up with n=21

(ii)Write down the inverse matrix A-1 and write down the conditions on k for this to exist.
Well, I know that k can not be 21 otherwise the determinant will be 0 which cannot be true in this circumstance.
I'm not too sure how to do A-1. I know that the matrix itself must be what B originally was, but I'm not sure how to find out what k is (and thus the determinant).

(iii)Using the result from part (ii), or otherwise, solve the following simultaneous equations.

x-2y+z=1
2x+2y+z=12
3x+2y-z=3

I solved this using Gaussian elimination. I know how to solve this using the inverse of matrices, but I couldn't quite do part (ii) so i was unable to use that method.

Physics news on Phys.org
olee said:
(ii)Write down the inverse matrix A-1 and write down the conditions on k for this to exist.
Well, I know that k can not be 21 otherwise the determinant will be 0 which cannot be true in this circumstance.
I'm not too sure how to do A-1. I know that the matrix itself must be what B originally was, but I'm not sure how to find out what k is (and thus the determinant).

Well you know that det(A)≠ 0, so you can find the condition for k using the determinant. (This will directly show you why k≠ 21)

Otherwise if k=n, then wouldn't AB=0, meaning that either A or B is the zero matrix?

Thus I think you should write A-1 in terms of k

olee said:
(iii)Using the result from part (ii), or otherwise, solve the following simultaneous equations.

x-2y+z=1
2x+2y+z=12
3x+2y-z=3

I solved this using Gaussian elimination. I know how to solve this using the inverse of matrices, but I couldn't quite do part (ii) so i was unable to use that method.

If you put the equations into the form CX=D, the matrix C would look similar to A wouldn't it?

and since AB=constant*I

what does that say about A and B?

rock.freak667 said:
Well you know that det(A)≠ 0, so you can find the condition for k using the determinant. (This will directly show you why k≠ 21)

Otherwise if k=n, then wouldn't AB=0, meaning that either A or B is the zero matrix?

Thus I think you should write A-1 in terms of k

If you put the equations into the form CX=D, the matrix C would look similar to A wouldn't it?

and since AB=constant*I

what does that say about A and B?

Thanks for the reply.

I've decided to do this for part (ii)

k2fr7s.png

i'm unsure on how to solve for k in order to do part (iii) without Gaussian methods.

olee said:
Thanks for the reply.

I've decided to do this for part (ii)
k2fr7s.png

i'm unsure on how to solve for k in order to do part (iii) without Gaussian methods.

Well look at the system of equations

x-2y+z=1
2x+2y+z=12
3x+2y-z=3

if you write this in a matrix form, what would it be?

(Compare the 3x3 matrix to the matrix A)

Last edited:
rock.freak667 said:
Well look at the system of equations

x-2y+z=1
2x+2y+z=12
3x+2y-z=3

if you write this in a matrix form, what would it be?

(Compare the 3x3 matrix to the matrix A)

like this

j7spib.png

olee said:
like this

no no just put these equations

x-2y+z=1
2x+2y+z=12
3x+2y-z=3

in a matrix form. Forget about the previous parts from before. What does the system look like in a matrix form?

rock.freak667 said:
no no just put these equations

x-2y+z=1
2x+2y+z=12
3x+2y-z=3

in a matrix form. Forget about the previous parts from before. What does the system look like in a matrix form?

2yts7bl.png

i think..

olee said:
i think..

Let's start simpler with 2 equations with 2 unknowns

x+y=1
2x+y=2

if we wanted to put this in a matrix form we'd get

[tex]\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
1 & 1\\
2 & 1
\end{array}
\right) \left( \begin{array}{c} x \\ y \end{array} \right) = \left( \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 2 \end{array} \right) [/tex]

Essentially, in the matrix, on the left side, the top line is the coefficients of the first matrix. The second line, the coefficients of the second matrix.

On the right side matrix, the first line is what ever is on the right side of the equal sign and so on.

Can you do something similar for the given set of equations?

rock.freak667 said:
Let's start simpler with 2 equations with 2 unknowns

x+y=1
2x+y=2

if we wanted to put this in a matrix form we'd get

[tex]\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
1 & 1\\
2 & 1
\end{array}
\right) \left( \begin{array}{c} x \\ y \end{array} \right) = \left( \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 2 \end{array} \right) [/tex]

Essentially, in the matrix, on the left side, the top line is the coefficients of the first matrix. The second line, the coefficients of the second matrix.

On the right side matrix, the first line is what ever is on the right side of the equal sign and so on.

Can you do something similar for the given set of equations?

11toowm.png

olee said:
11toowm.png

your second column should be -2,1,2

Check the original question, you typed it incorrectly and I quoted you so you used the wrong equations. Re-do it and then compare the 3x3 matrix to the matrix A.

rock.freak667 said:
your second column should be -2,1,2

Check the original question, you typed it incorrectly and I quoted you so you used the wrong equations. Re-do it and then compare the 3x3 matrix to the matrix A.

30lnfc1.png

.: k=1

thanks!

but i was wondering, is this method true with all matrix questions like this? or is it specific to this one?

olee said:
.: k=1

thanks!

but i was wondering, is this method true with all matrix questions like this? or is it specific to this one?

In these types of exams usually in Further math, if the questions have i,ii,iii,... in them, they are usually linked.

If you are asking if the matrix method can be used to solve a system of equations, then yes.

thanks mate! i appreciate it!

Related to Further Maths (Matrices and solving simultaneous equations)

1. What are matrices and why are they important in further maths?

Matrices are a way of organizing and manipulating data in a structured manner. In further maths, they are important because they allow us to solve complex systems of equations and model real-life situations. They also have applications in fields such as computer science, economics, and physics.

2. How do you add, subtract, and multiply matrices?

To add or subtract matrices, they must have the same dimensions. Simply add or subtract the corresponding elements of each matrix to get the resulting matrix. To multiply matrices, the number of columns in the first matrix must match the number of rows in the second matrix. The resulting matrix will have the same number of rows as the first matrix and the same number of columns as the second matrix.

3. What is the inverse of a matrix and how do you find it?

The inverse of a matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, gives the identity matrix (a matrix with 1s on the diagonal and 0s everywhere else). To find the inverse of a matrix, you can use the Gauss-Jordan elimination method or the adjugate matrix method.

4. How do you solve simultaneous equations using matrices?

To solve simultaneous equations using matrices, you can set up a matrix equation with the coefficients of the variables in one matrix and the constants in another matrix. Then, you can use matrix operations to solve for the variables. This method is particularly useful for solving systems of equations with more than two variables.

5. What are the applications of solving simultaneous equations using matrices?

Solving simultaneous equations using matrices has many applications in various fields. In engineering, it can be used to solve for unknown forces in structures. In economics, it can be used to model supply and demand. In physics, it can be used to solve for unknown forces and accelerations in systems. It is also used in computer graphics and cryptography for transformations and encryption/decryption.

Back