Fusion a suicidal power source?

In summary, the article discusses how table top fusion is still in its early stages, but has the potential to provide a solution to our energy problems in the future. There are concerns about the process of table top fusion, but if it ever becomes a practical option, it would only use a small amount of water.
Pengwuino said:
Yah and come on, in a trillino years (the inverse of that number), we'll have figured something out lol.
I can probably arrange to be elsewhere by then. :rolleyes:

Physics news on Phys.org
Pengwuino said:
Yah and come on, in a trillino years (the inverse of that number), we'll have figured something out lol.

Don't get too cocky, after all, we need deuterium, which makes up only 0.02% of naturally occurring hydrogen. That'll drop us down to 200 million years of fuel.

Janus said:
That'll drop us down to 200 million years of fuel.
So you're half-way through your theoretical lifespan? :-p

edit: Oh crap... cancel that last remark. I just looked at your profile. You're younger than me :cry:.

Last edited:
we already have a fusion reactor! It's so powerful it has to be 93,000,000 mi away...the reason we have so much water here is for heat transfer...being a refugee from the nuc industry has taught me that if your solution is complicated then some man or men made it! Nature is much more elegant ...the energy contained in the water vapor surrounding the planet is ubiquitous and replenished continulualy 24-7 if we spent more of our gray matter trying to make simple machines to transform this energy reservoir into the forms we currently use ie mechanical electrical etc the value of that simple atom would become much more manifest...just an opinion in favor 0f monstersfromtheid's musings

frank MR. P

Jupiter and Saturn consist of hydrogen. I believe it is not going to be a problem to extract it even from those places in the year 3000.
An interesting question is: how much energy we get by fusing those planets?

mios76 said:
how much energy we get by fusing those planets?
Jupiter is considered by many to be a 'proto-sun'; ie a planet who is just a bit too small for its gravity to compress it to the point of fusion ignition. If you could manage to smack it and Saturn together, we'd have 2 suns in our solar system. I don't think that they make a SPF formula strong enough to handle that.

Is no one taking into account that world energy consumption annually increases?
Because of this by the time fusion is adopted, wouldn't energy usage be at least some what higher, then accounting for yearly increase I believe the number would be somewhat smaller then 50 million.
(I do not actually know the percentage of the increase, might be important I don't know *sarcasm*)

Considering that the world has only been generating electricity for 150 years, it is tough to make projections out to 50 million years...

Besides, we aught to fix the immediat problems immediately and save the ones that won't affect us for millions of years for later.

If we have Fusion power we could easily establish a base on the moon. And then easily get Hydrogen from compounds on the moon. It would take a lot of mass loss on the moon to actual see real results on earth. I'm excited for Fusion though!

Janus said:
Don't get too cocky, after all, we need deuterium, which makes up only 0.02% of naturally occurring hydrogen. That'll drop us down to 200 million years of fuel.

For the moment, we need deuterium from water. Nevertheless, with enough neutron irradiation, we can turn light hydrogen into deuterium (the fusion equivalent of a fission breeder reactor). So enough water in the blanket of a fusion reactor will turn it into deuterium...

bassplayer142 said:
If we have Fusion power we could easily establish a base on the moon. And then easily get Hydrogen from compounds on the moon. It would take a lot of mass loss on the moon to actual see real results on earth. I'm excited for Fusion though!

From where, the Moon's oceans? I'm pretty sure that theory is a bit in-accurate.

other elements can be used. the elements you have stated are simply the eaisest.