Fusion for Students: Cheapest Neutron & X-Ray Detectors, Vacuum Pumps, Deuterium

In summary, a neutron detector is the cheapest possible option, and there are no cheap detectors (for students). Deuterium is the only fusionable matter that is available to students, and it can be expensive. A fusor project would be worthwhile, but it would require a lot of time and effort to build.
Urvabara
What is the cheapest possible neutron detector? Are there any cheap detectors (for students)?

What is the cheapest possible X-ray detector?

What is the cheapest possible vacuum pump? How noisy are they? I mean: Does the pumping noise disturb the wall neighbours?

Are there any other ways to tell that the nuclear FUSION reaction has happened except the neutron gain?

How much does deuterium cost? Is it the only possible fusionable matter in the market a student can buy?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I need a vacuum of [tex]10^{-3}[/tex] torrs.

PS. Where can I buy deuterium lump (Pycnodeuterium)? I think it would be more easier to handle than deuterium gas.

Out of curiosity may I ask you; why do you want to buy the stuff??

Nomy-the wanderer said:
Out of curiosity may I ask you; why do you want to buy the stuff??

Do you know Fusor? It's possible to build one, even high school kids have.

Maybe you should ask a member of staff at your institution to supervise a group intending to build a inertial electrostatic confinement (IEC) nuclear fusion reactor, otherwise known as a "fusor". You might get a little funding.

I had a look at fusor.net and don't really like the cut of their jib - it sounds like their trying to sell IEC fusion as the true product (a bit like those bogus adverts on the telly for rubbish kitchen appliances with not one, two, but three free gifts; plus a set of steak knives ;-) ). And also they seem to be trying to undermine the efforts of the funded science community who are endeavouring to supply nuclear fusion as civilian power source, as if they have a chip on their shoulder about magnetic confinement being chosen over IEC designs.

A fusor project would be worthwhile, I think. You'd learn a lot and have a lot of fun putting it together. Good luck!

Related to Fusion for Students: Cheapest Neutron & X-Ray Detectors, Vacuum Pumps, Deuterium

1. What is fusion and why is it important?

Fusion is a process in which two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus. It is the same process that powers the sun and other stars, and has the potential to provide a nearly limitless source of clean energy for human use.

2. How do neutron and x-ray detectors work?

Neutron and x-ray detectors work by detecting the presence of these particles or radiation. Neutron detectors typically use materials such as boron or lithium to capture neutrons and produce a measurable signal, while x-ray detectors use materials such as silicon or germanium to convert x-rays into an electrical signal.

3. Why are vacuum pumps important in fusion experiments?

Vacuum pumps are essential in fusion experiments because they create and maintain a low-pressure environment where fusion reactions can occur. This is necessary because fusion reactions require extremely high temperatures and pressures, which would be impossible to achieve in a normal atmosphere.

4. What is deuterium and why is it used in fusion experiments?

Deuterium is a type of hydrogen isotope that contains one proton and one neutron in its nucleus. It is used in fusion experiments because it is relatively easy to obtain and has a high probability of undergoing fusion reactions at lower temperatures and pressures compared to other isotopes.

5. How can students get involved in fusion research?

There are many ways for students to get involved in fusion research, such as participating in internships, attending workshops and conferences, and conducting independent research projects. Additionally, many universities have fusion research programs and clubs that students can join to gain hands-on experience in the field.

Back