G3popstar's question at Yahoo Answers (Principal value of i^i)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fernando Revilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Value
In summary, the principal value of i^i is e^(-π/2). To find this value, we use the definition of complex numbers and the principal argument of i. If you have more questions, feel free to post them in the provided section.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello g3popstar,

For $z,w$ complex nombers and $z\neq 0$ we define $z^w=e^{w\log z}$. In our case, $i^i=e^{i\log i}$. On the other hand, $\log z=log |z|+i\arg z$. The principal argument of $i$ is $\frac{\pi}{2}$, so the principal value of $\log i$ is $\log i=\log 1+i\frac{\pi}{2}=i\frac{\pi}{2}$. As a consequence $$i^{i}=e^{i\log i}=e^{i\cdot i\frac{\pi}{2}}=e^{-\frac{\pi}{2}}$$ If you have further questions, you can post them in the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f50/ section.

Related to G3popstar's question at Yahoo Answers (Principal value of i^i)

1. What is the principal value of i^i?

The principal value of i^i is approximately 0.20788.

2. How do you calculate the principal value of i^i?

The principal value of i^i can be calculated using the formula e^(i*pi/2). This can be simplified to e^(-pi/2), which is approximately 0.20788.

3. Why is the principal value of i^i not a whole number?

The principal value of i^i is not a whole number because it is a complex number. The value of i^i involves raising a complex number (i) to a complex power (i), resulting in a complex number as the answer.

4. Can the principal value of i^i be negative?

No, the principal value of i^i cannot be negative. Since the principal value is calculated using the formula e^(i*pi/2), the answer will always be a positive number.

5. What is the significance of the principal value of i^i in mathematics?

The principal value of i^i is significant in mathematics because it is an example of a complex number raised to a complex power. This concept is important in fields such as complex analysis and engineering applications.