Gage Pressure, Absolute Pressure - Gage in Different Environment Problem

In summary, the problem is that the cited Finnemore quotation doesn't preclude using absolute pressure. Vacuum is reported three ways; e.g., 85 kPa (absolute), 85 kPa (gauge), or -85 kPa (gauge). All three methods are clear if the pressure is followed by the string "(absolute)" or "(gauge)."
lizzyb
State the Problem

A gage is connected to a tank in which the pressure of the fluid is 42 psi above atmospheric. If the absolute pressure of the fluid remains unchanged but the gage is in a chamber where the air pressure is reduced to a vacuum of 25 inHg, what reading in psi will then be observed.

Related Equations, etc

Code:
P    = P    +  P                 (1)
 abs    atm     gage
Answer in back of book: 54.3 psi
Standard atmosphere at sea level: 14.696 psia (29.92 inHg)

Work Done So Far

1) Determine the absolute pressure using P_atm = 14.696 and P_gage = 42 psi

Code:
P    = 14.696 + 42 = 56.696 psia
 abs

2) P_chamber = 25 * 14.696 / 29.92 = 12.279 psi

and manipulating (1) a bit:

Code:
P     = P    - P        = 56.696 - 12.279 = 44.417
 gage    abs    chamber

Which isn't correct; how can I use equation (1) to determine P_gage correctly?

I suppose my problem is not having the correct relationship between P_atm and P_chamber; should I use:

Code:
 '
P    = P     - P        = 14.696 - 12.279 = 2.417   (2)
 atm    atm     chamber

'               '
P     = P     - P    = 56.696 - 2.417 = 54.279
 gage    abs     atm

but how do I justify equation (2)?

Physics news on Phys.org
lizzyb: It currently appears to me your answer, 44.417 psi (gauge), is correct and the back of the book is wrong. I will be glad to hear from anyone if I am currently misinterpreting.

Thank you for your help.

Reading that section of the chapter again I noted the sentence:

Finnemore & Franzi said:
If the pressure is below that of the atmosphere, we call it a vacuum, and its gage value is the amount by which it is below that of the atmosphere.

So translating the statement to math:
Code:
P        = P    - P         => P         = P       - P
 chamber    atm    chamber      chamber     atm       chamber
 gage                                                 gage

= 14.696  - 12.279
                                      = 2.417

'
P     = P    - P        = 56.696 - 2.417 = 54.279
 gage    abs    chamber

I think the wording of the question could be improved.

Last edited:
The cited Finnemore quotation doesn't preclude using absolute pressure. Vacuum is reported three ways; e.g., 85 kPa (absolute), 85 kPa (gauge), or -85 kPa (gauge). All three methods are clear if the pressure is followed by the string "(absolute)" or "(gauge)," per the SAE, ASTM, and IEEE requirements.

The problem statement is ambiguous because the authors violated SAE TSB-003 and IEEE/ASTM SI10 requirements by not writing "25 inHg (absolute)" or "25 inHg (gauge)." But current evidence slightly points toward a chamber pressure of -25 inHg (gauge); i.e., 16.665 kPa (absolute).

Related to Gage Pressure, Absolute Pressure - Gage in Different Environment Problem

1. What is the difference between gage pressure and absolute pressure?

Gage pressure is the measurement of pressure relative to atmospheric pressure, while absolute pressure is the total pressure including atmospheric pressure. Gage pressure is typically used for measuring pressure in closed systems, while absolute pressure is used for more precise measurements and calculations.

2. How does gage pressure change in different environments?

Gage pressure will change in different environments due to changes in atmospheric pressure. For example, gage pressure will decrease at higher altitudes because atmospheric pressure decreases. This can also be affected by changes in temperature and humidity.

3. Can gage pressure be negative?

Yes, gage pressure can be negative. Negative gage pressure indicates a vacuum or pressure lower than atmospheric pressure. This can occur in situations where there is a decrease in volume or an increase in altitude.

4. Is absolute pressure always higher than gage pressure?

Not necessarily. Absolute pressure can be higher or lower than gage pressure, depending on the atmospheric pressure in the environment. In some cases, absolute pressure may be equal to gage pressure if the atmospheric pressure is the same as the pressure in the closed system.

5. How is gage pressure measured?

Gage pressure is typically measured using a gage or manometer, which uses a liquid column to measure the difference between the pressure in the system and atmospheric pressure. Digital pressure gauges can also be used to measure gage pressure. Gage pressure can also be calculated using the difference between absolute pressure and atmospheric pressure.