Galactic Rotation and Gas Clouds

In summary, the conversation discusses two main questions related to terminology and calculations involving the proper motion of the Galactic Centre and the properties of a spherical HI cloud. The first question involves calculating the proper motion of the Galactic Centre in units of arcsec/yr, assuming certain parameters. The second question involves determining the radius and luminosity of the HI cloud, as well as the expected flux measured from it at a certain distance and with a specific radio telescope. The conversation also includes some confusion and questions about the calculations and concepts involved.
JazzCarrot

Homework Statement

Two questions here, but it's mainly terminology I don't understand;

1(a). Calculate the proper motion of the Galactic Centre (GC) with respect
to the sun (and measured relative to the ‘stationary’ distant galaxies
and quasars) in units of arcsec/yr, assuming that the Galaxy rotation
speed at the solar circle is Vo = 220 km/s and the distance to the GC
is Ro = 8.5 kpc.

2. A spherical HI cloud has a density of 106 atoms m-3 and a gas mass of
50 M⊙
(a). What is the cloud radius in pc?
(b). Show that the luminosity of the cloud in its 1.42 GHz (21 cm) emission
line is 1.6×1020 W.
(c). Assume the cloud lies at a distance of 4 kpc in a direction l = 0o and is
observed with a radio telescope of field of view (beam-size) 20 arcmin.
What flux would you measure from the cloud in its 1.42 GHz (21 cm)
emission line?
(d). Random bulk motions in the cloud of ±10 km/s along the line of
sight Doppler-broaden the observed line. What is the full width in
frequency of the broadened line? From this and your answer in part
(c) write down the average flux per unit frequency, and express your
answer in units of Janskys (Jy), where 1 Jy = 10−26W/m2/Hz.

2. Homework Equations

Question 1 -
gif.latex?\mu%20=\frac{V_{t}\pi%20^{%22}}{4.74}.gif

I'm not sure how to get Vt

3. The Attempt at a Solution

1. Galaxy rotation speed at the solar circle is Vo = 220 km/s

I'm confused at what this speed actually represents. For the equation of proper motion, I need the transverse velocity, Vt. Which means I might have to decompose Vo into components Vt and Vr using an angle... which I don't know :confused:

2. c) and is observed with a radio telescope of field of view (beam-size) 20 arcmin.

I'm not sure how to relate the beam-size into measuring the flux, other than I assume it will be related to the proportion of the flux it can measure compared to amount received at Earth (Which I've found to be 8.3x10-22W/m2).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
JazzCarrot said:
1. Galaxy rotation speed at the solar circle is Vo = 220 km/s

I'm confused at what this speed actually represents. For the equation of proper motion, I need the transverse velocity, Vt. Which means I might have to decompose Vo into components Vt and Vr using an angle... which I don't know :confused:

It's a circle. Isn't the velocity always tangential at any instant? I mean, assuming that we are actually orbiting in a perfect circle of radius 8.5 kpc around the centre of the galaxy, what that means is that the centre of the galaxy's distance to us is never changing. It is never getting closer to or farther away from us. So how could its velocity possibly have a radial component?

JazzCarrot said:
2. c) and is observed with a radio telescope of field of view (beam-size) 20 arcmin.

I'm not sure how to relate the beam-size into measuring the flux, other than I assume it will be related to the proportion of the flux it can measure compared to amount received at Earth (Which I've found to be 8.3x10-22W/m2).

Although, to be honest, I don't even know how to solve part (b), assuming that you can, then I guess my starting point for part (c) would be to ask, what angle does the HI region subtend at that distance, and how does this compare to the field of view? Then, at least you know how much of the cloud your telescope is seeing.

Related to Galactic Rotation and Gas Clouds

1. What is galactic rotation and why is it important?

Galactic rotation refers to the circular motion of stars, gas, and dust within a galaxy. It is important because it helps us understand the structure and dynamics of galaxies, as well as how they evolve over time.

2. How do scientists measure the rotation of a galaxy?

Scientists use a technique called spectroscopy to measure the rotation of a galaxy. This involves analyzing the light emitted from stars and gas clouds to determine their velocity and direction of motion.

3. What are gas clouds and how do they affect galactic rotation?

Gas clouds are large concentrations of gas within a galaxy, primarily composed of hydrogen and helium. They can affect galactic rotation by exerting gravitational forces on stars, causing them to move in certain patterns.

4. What is the role of dark matter in galactic rotation?

Dark matter is a hypothetical form of matter that does not emit or absorb light, making it difficult to detect. However, its presence is inferred by its gravitational effects on galactic rotation. It is believed to play a major role in holding galaxies together and influencing their rotation.

5. How does galactic rotation differ in spiral and elliptical galaxies?

In spiral galaxies, the rotation is relatively organized and follows a flat disk shape. In contrast, elliptical galaxies have a more chaotic rotation pattern, with stars and gas moving in various directions and speeds. This is due to their different shapes and formation histories.