Galaxy Merger Energy: Calculating Total System Energy

In summary, the total energy of a merged galaxy would be equal to the sum of the energy in the two separate systems.
jl29488
If I have two galaxies... i.e Ellipticals.. with same mass, size and velocity dispersion approaching each other and merging to form a bigger galaxy, what would be the total energy of the system?

I'm assuming they would be approaching each other from 'infinity', so E=0 initially. I'm guessing its something to do with the virial theorem?

I'm really stuck! :(

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Define "energy of a galaxy"

K.E=-1/2P.E (virial thoerem)

Thats providing the galaxy is in a stable, which I'm assuming...

jl29488 said:
K.E=-1/2P.E (virial thoerem)

Thats providing the galaxy is in a stable, which I'm assuming...
Define KE or PE, either one if you think you can, for a galaxy

K.E = 1/2Mv^2 (v=velocity dispersion)

jl29488 said:
K.E = 1/2Mv^2 (v=velocity dispersion)
and what is the "velocity" of a galaxy? Hint: it has an infinite number of different velocities. Do you begin to see what the problem is?

You can use average velocity i guess?

Hm ... I see now that there is more to this than I was aware and I might be misleading you. I think I should shut up and leave this for someone who is more familiar w/ the concept of galactic energy.

In broadest terms, the total energy of the merged system would be equal to the sum of the energy in the two separate systems.
(I am assuming that the common reference point you use to measure the 'energy' for all objects, is the center of the newly merged galaxy, since that seems most practical)
Internally within the galaxies, some individual objects would likely gain kinetic energy and in other cases lose it.
Energy might change it's form here and there but overall no energy is gained or lost.

(Well some bits of the galaxies might get slung out during the merging, so I guess some energy might be lost in that sense.)

Last edited:

Related to Galaxy Merger Energy: Calculating Total System Energy

1. What is a galaxy merger?

A galaxy merger is a galactic event in which two or more galaxies collide and combine to form a new, larger galaxy.

2. How is the total system energy of a galaxy merger calculated?

The total system energy of a galaxy merger is calculated by adding the kinetic energy and potential energy of all the galaxies involved in the merger.

3. What factors affect the energy of a galaxy merger?

The energy of a galaxy merger is affected by the masses, velocities, and distances of the merging galaxies, as well as the presence of dark matter.

4. Why is calculating the total system energy of a galaxy merger important?

Calculating the total system energy of a galaxy merger allows scientists to better understand the dynamics and evolution of galaxies, as well as the role of mergers in shaping the structure of the universe.

5. Can the energy of a galaxy merger be observed?

Yes, the energy of a galaxy merger can be observed through various methods, such as studying the velocities and positions of stars and gas within the merging galaxies, as well as using simulations and computer models to estimate the energy involved in the merger.