Galous Group Modules Self Study: Q&A

In summary, the conversation discusses various mathematical concepts such as Galois groups, modules, and homomorphisms. The main focus is on proving the surjectivity of a homomorphism by showing the equality of its induced map. The conversation also mentions the need for finding an inverse and proving a lemma.
tohauz
I was doing some self study and have questions:
1. p(x)=x^{7}+11 over Q(a), R.
where a is 7-th root of unity. What are Galouis groups?
For the 1st case I got Z_{7}, second not sure. need hint for that
2. need hint. I know it is easy: M is an R-module. Show that Hom_{R}(R,M)[tex]\cong[/tex]M.
3. Spse that I is an ideal of R such that I^{k}=0 for some k>0 integer. Let M, N be R-modules and let [tex]\phi[/tex]:M->N be an R-module hom. Prove that if induced map [tex]\bar{\phi}[/tex]:M/IM->N/IN is surjective, then [tex]\phi[/tex] is surjective.
4. show that 2[tex]\otimes[/tex]1 [tex]\neq[/tex]0 in 2Z[tex]\otimes[/tex]Z/2Z.

Physics news on Phys.org
2. You need a map from

{f : R-->M } to M

(or vice versa).Assuming that R is unital, then there is only one possible map you can write down:

f ---> f(1)

You have to try to show that is an isomorphism. You also may want to think about the other direction;

M --> {f: R --> M}

again, there is only one possible map you can write down - given m in M, then the only candidate in Hom_R(R,M) is translation by m:

f_m(r)= r.m

so you have to show that the map m--->f_m is an isomorphism (note we've dropped the explicit use use R being unital).

matt grime said:
2. You need a map from

{f : R-->M } to M

(or vice versa).

Assuming that R is unital, then there is only one possible map you can write down:

f ---> f(1)
This is what I tried. g(f)=f_{1}. But I had hard time showing that it is surjective

Have you tried working to find an inverse? The second part of my hint wasn't just decoration.

matt grime said:
Have you tried working to find an inverse? The second part of my hint wasn't just decoration.

yeah, i got it. thanks

#3 is somewhat tricky. The key is to prove that [tex] \varphi(IM) = IN [/tex]. This can be done by induction on [tex] k [/tex], but first you'll need a lemma to the effect that if [tex] \bar{\varphi} [/tex] is surjective, then the induced map [tex] \psi_r : I^r M/I^{r+1} \to I^r N/I^{r+1} [/tex] is surjective for all [tex] r [/tex].

Let me think about the others some more...I'll get back to you in a bit. (Although #4 looks pretty trivial.)

Last edited:

Related to Galous Group Modules Self Study: Q&A

What are Galous group modules?

Galous group modules are a mathematical concept used in the study of group theory. They are a type of module structure that describes the relationship between a group and a set of objects, allowing for the application of group operations to those objects.

What is the purpose of studying Galous group modules?

The study of Galous group modules helps to understand the interactions between groups and sets of objects, and how these interactions can be described and manipulated using mathematical concepts. It also has applications in various fields such as algebra, topology, and physics.

What are some examples of Galous group modules?

Some common examples of Galous group modules include vector spaces, rings, and fields. These structures can be described as sets of objects with defined operations, and they can be manipulated using group operations to reveal important properties and relationships.

What is the difference between Galous group modules and other types of mathematical structures?

Galous group modules have a specific set of properties that make them different from other mathematical structures, such as rings or vector spaces. These properties include the ability to apply group operations to the structure, as well as the existence of a Galois group, which is a subgroup of the automorphism group of the structure.

How can one approach self-study of Galous group modules?

One approach to self-study of Galous group modules is to start by understanding the basic concepts and properties of groups, modules, and Galois groups. Then, one can move on to studying specific examples and applications, as well as more advanced topics such as Galois cohomology and module classification. It is also helpful to use textbooks, online resources, and practice problems to solidify understanding and improve problem-solving skills.