Gamma Ray Energy from Decay of Boron

In summary, the task is to determine the number of beta particles and the amount of energy released as gamma rays in the complete decay of 1000 atoms of (12/5) Boron. The mass of one boron atom is given as 10.811 g and the equation E = mc^2 may be used. The book's answer states that there are 1000 beta particles released and 88 MeV of energy released as gamma rays. The solution involves calculating the energy released as gamma rays by using the information that 2% of the initial 1000 atoms emit energy at 4.4 MeV.
TheBoy

Homework Statement

I have to figure how many beta particles are released and how much energy is released as gamma rays in the complete decay of 1000 atoms of (12/5) Boron.

Homework Equations

Mass of one boron atom is 10.811 g. I think we may be able to use E = mc^2 somehow but I'm not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer the book gives is that 1000 beta particles are released and 88 MeV of energy is released as gamma rays. The first seems obvious because (12/5) boron decays into (12/6) C + an electron. So if you have 1000 atoms you will have 1000 electrons / beta particles. The second I'm not so sure of. How can you calculate the energy released as gamma rays from just this information?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I figured it out :)

There were 1000 initial atoms and 2% of them emit energy in the form of gamma rays at 4.4 MeV.

So 1000 x 0.02 x 4.4 MeV = 88 MeV
Huzzah, huzzah u_u it feels good to solve your own problems.

FAQ: Gamma Ray Energy from Decay of Boron

1. What is gamma ray energy?

Gamma ray energy is a form of electromagnetic radiation that has the highest energy and shortest wavelength in the electromagnetic spectrum. It is produced by the decay of an unstable atomic nucleus.

2. How is gamma ray energy produced from the decay of boron?

Boron is a naturally occurring element with an unstable isotope, boron-12. When boron-12 undergoes radioactive decay, it releases gamma rays as a form of energy. This process is known as gamma decay.

3. What are the properties of gamma ray energy from the decay of boron?

Gamma ray energy from the decay of boron has a very high frequency and penetrating power. It can pass through most materials, including human tissue, making it useful in medical imaging and cancer treatment. It is also ionizing, meaning it can break chemical bonds and cause damage to living cells.

4. How is gamma ray energy from the decay of boron used in practical applications?

Aside from medical imaging and cancer treatment, gamma ray energy from the decay of boron is also used in industrial and scientific applications. It is used in quality control processes, such as inspecting welds and detecting defects in materials. It is also used in measuring the thickness of materials and sterilizing medical equipment.

5. What are the potential risks of gamma ray energy from the decay of boron?

Gamma rays can be harmful to living organisms if exposed to high levels for extended periods of time. However, the amount of gamma ray energy released from the decay of boron is relatively low and can be shielded by materials such as lead or concrete. Proper safety protocols and monitoring should be in place for those working with gamma ray energy from the decay of boron.

Back