Gas expands adiabatically, find work.

• Thread starter keith river
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Work
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the work done by an Ideal Diatomic Gas that expands adiabatically. The temperature after expansion is 50 kelvin less than its original temperature, and the gas in question is not helium. The internal energy is equal to the work done, and the formula W = Cv (dT) is mentioned, but without the original temperature, it cannot be used. The number of moles and molecules are also calculated, but without volume or pressure, the original temperature cannot be determined. However, there is a way to find the work done without knowing the original temperature.
keith river
An Ideal Diatomic Gas expands adiabatically, the temperature after expansion is 50 kelvin less than its original temperature. What is the work done by this gas?
Assume you have 0.5 kg of the gas. Molar Mass = 4

I already know the gas is helium but I don't think knowing what the gas is helps solve the problem :(

I know all the internal energy = Work as there is no heat energy.
I was going to try using W = Cv (dT)
But without the original temp it won't get very far.
I worked out no. of moles = 500 / 4 = 125
Also no. of molecules = 7.525x10^25
I can't find any relation without volume or pressure which could tell me original temperature.

Is there a way to find the original temperature or am I going in the wrong direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
keith river said:
An Ideal Diatomic Gas expands adiabatically, the temperature after expansion is 50 kelvin less than its original temperature. What is the work done by this gas?
Assume you have 0.5 kg of the gas. Molar Mass = 4

I already know the gas is helium but I don't think knowing what the gas is helps solve the problem :(
That's a good thing, because it is not helium. Helium is monatomic.
I know all the internal energy = Work as there is no heat energy.
I was going to try using W = Cv (dT)
But without the original temp it won't get very far.
Why?
I worked out no. of moles = 500 / 4 = 125
Also no. of molecules = 7.525x10^25
I can't find any relation without volume or pressure which could tell me original temperature.
Is there a way to find the original temperature or am I going in the wrong direction?
You do not need to know the original temperature to determine the work done. All that matters is the change in temperature. (Hint: you were on the right track).

AM

Related to Gas expands adiabatically, find work.

1. What is an adiabatic expansion?

An adiabatic expansion is a process in which a gas expands without any heat being transferred in or out of the system. This means that the temperature of the gas remains constant during the expansion.

2. How do you calculate work in an adiabatic expansion?

The work done in an adiabatic expansion can be calculated using the formula W = -PΔV, where W is work, P is pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume of the gas.

3. What factors affect the work done in an adiabatic expansion?

The work done in an adiabatic expansion is affected by the initial and final volume of the gas, the pressure of the gas, and the specific heat capacity of the gas.

4. How is an adiabatic expansion different from an isothermal expansion?

An adiabatic expansion involves no heat transfer, while an isothermal expansion occurs at a constant temperature. This means that in an adiabatic expansion, the temperature of the gas changes, whereas in an isothermal expansion, the temperature remains constant.

5. What are some real-life examples of adiabatic expansion?

Some real-life examples of adiabatic expansion include the expansion of air in a bicycle pump, the expansion of air in a tire when driving, and the expansion of gas in a spray can.