Gas laws concerning pressure & temp.

In summary, the problem involves finding the pressure of an aerosol can at a different temperature, given its initial pressure and temperature. Using the ideal gas law and Gay-Lussac's Law, the final pressure can be calculated by considering the constant volume and quantity of gas in the can.
Agent M27

Homework Statement

Suppose an aerosol can contains a residual pressure of 755mm Hg and a temperature of 25*c. What would the pressure be if the can was heated to 1155*c?

Homework Equations

P1xV1=P2xV2

V[tex]\propto[/tex]T

The Attempt at a Solution

I began by converting the 755mm Hg to atm, .993atm. I then converted the temperatures to 298 kelvins & 1428 kelvins. I honestly do not know where to take this problem from here. The above equations I gave deal with temperature & pressure seperately so I need to find some way of combining them. All I need is a nudge, I can take it from there. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Physics news on Phys.org
hint: Ideal gas law

I originally tried that one but I am missing both V & n, volume & number of moles. I looked a little deeper and my book and found Gay-Lussac's Law, [tex]\frac{P_{1}}{T_{1}}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{P_{2}}{T_{2}}[/tex]. Using simple algebra I got 4.76 ATM. Thanks for your help.

Agent M27 said:
I originally tried that one but I am missing both V & n, volume & number of moles. I looked a little deeper and my book and found Gay-Lussac's Law, [tex]\frac{P_{1}}{T_{1}}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{P_{2}}{T_{2}}[/tex]. Using simple algebra I got 4.76 ATM. Thanks for your help.

You can deduce that equality from the ideal gas law, because the gas is in a can that you can consider as a body that doesn't expand or contract, and so the volume is constant, on the other hand the quantity of gas in the can also remains constant (you didn't let any gas in or out). So, PV=nrT <=> P/T=nr/V=cte and you get the Gay-Lussac's Law.

This law is very general, you don't need to memorize all the possible combinations, just consider every constraint (V,T,n,P) and see how it varies in the process, if some of them remain constant, then all the others can be calculated from the initial and final conditions.

Glad to help.

Hello Joe,

You are on the right track with converting the temperature to Kelvin and the pressure to atm. To find the new pressure at 1155°C, you can use the combined gas law equation: P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2. This equation takes into account the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature.

First, we need to find the initial volume (V1) of the can. We can use the ideal gas law equation, PV = nRT, where P is the initial pressure (0.993 atm), V is the unknown volume, n is the number of moles (which we can assume to be constant), R is the gas constant, and T is the initial temperature (298 K). Solving for V, we get V1 = (nRT)/P = (n x 0.0821 x 298)/0.993 = 24.7L.

Now, we can plug in the values into the combined gas law equation: (0.993 x 24.7)/298 = (P2 x 24.7)/1428. Solving for P2, we get P2 = (0.993 x 24.7 x 1428)/298 = 47.7 atm.

Therefore, if the can is heated to 1155°C, the pressure inside the can would increase to 47.7 atm.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

Related to Gas laws concerning pressure & temp.

1. What are the basic gas laws?

The basic gas laws are Boyle's law, Charles's law, and Gay-Lussac's law. These laws describe the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas.

2. How does Boyle's law relate to pressure and volume?

Boyle's law states that the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to its volume at a constant temperature. This means that as the volume of a gas decreases, its pressure increases, and vice versa.

3. What is the relationship between temperature and volume according to Charles's law?

Charles's law states that the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature at a constant pressure. This means that as the temperature of a gas increases, its volume also increases, and vice versa.

4. How does Gay-Lussac's law explain the relationship between pressure and temperature?

Gay-Lussac's law states that the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature at a constant volume. This means that as the temperature of a gas increases, its pressure also increases, and vice versa.

5. What is the combined gas law and how is it used?

The combined gas law combines Boyle's, Charles's, and Gay-Lussac's laws into one equation. It is used to calculate the changes in pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas when at least one of these variables is changed while the others are held constant.