Gas that expands and contracts QUICKLY?

• Thread starter JayArpeggios
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary, the goal is to create a small chamber that can be flexible or rigid, and that can switch states quickly. The method is not important.
JayArpeggios
So I am trying to figure out a way that I can have a very small flexible chamber that would have a gas or something else in it. The gas needs to be able to compress or expand quickly, the point being that the chamber has more pressure or less pressure on demand.

Any help or direction would be very helpful, since I'm a bit lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
By what mechanism do you intend to coerce the gas into compressing or expanding? I'm assuming that your question implies that it is the GAS that causes the expansion/contraction of the chamber so I'm asking what you plan to DO to the gas to get it to do that?

For any gas the equation relating pressure, volume, and temperature is the same (Boyle's Law). So no gas will be noticeably different from others (unless it explodes :) )

Well I am not set on using gas I am just trying to solve this in one way or another. What I need is a small chamber to be either of these two states: 1) flexible, or 2) rigid. AND be able to switch states quickly. The full mechanism to achieve this needs to be very small. Perhaps electroactive polymers? I don't know much about them.

Do you need to switch quickly in both directions? If only one, you may be able to fill a gap with a non-Newtonian fluid with the right properties.

FactChecker said:
For any gas the equation relating pressure, volume, and temperature is the same (Boyle's Law). So no gas will be noticeably different from others (unless it explodes :) )

This is what I was trying to get him to THINK about in post #2, rather than just pointing it out to him.

phinds said:
This is what I was trying to get him to THINK about in post #2, rather than just pointing it out to him.
I like to assume this is a conversation between people with common interests, rather than immediately adopting a teacher-student relationship.

JayArpeggios said:
So I am trying to figure out a way that I can have a very small flexible chamber that would have a gas or something else in it. The gas needs to be able to compress or expand quickly, the point being that the chamber has more pressure or less pressure on demand.

As stated, a
balloon that you squeeze in your hand fits your description. If that's not what you mean, you must be more specific in your question.

FactChecker said:
I like to assume this is a conversation between people with common interests, rather than immediately adopting a teacher-student relationship.

I agree completely on the goal, but not on the method. Getting people to think should not be relegated to a purely teacher/student relationship. I don't think of myself as a teacher in these cases, but more of a friendly helper. Also, admittedly, I DO have a preference that people do as much thinking on their own as possible and I strenuously avoid spoon-feeding answers because doing so is, to me boring ... it just becomes about showing that I know more than they do and that's pretty pointless because damn near everybody here knows more than I do.

FAQ: Gas that expands and contracts QUICKLY?

1. What is the scientific explanation for gas that expands and contracts quickly?

The phenomenon of gas expanding and contracting quickly is known as thermal expansion and contraction. It occurs due to the change in temperature of the gas, which causes its molecules to either move farther apart (expansion) or closer together (contraction).

2. What factors affect the rate of expansion and contraction of gas?

The rate of expansion and contraction of gas is affected by several factors, including the type of gas, its initial volume and temperature, the surrounding pressure, and the properties of the container it is in. Additionally, the temperature change and the coefficient of thermal expansion of the gas also play a significant role in determining the rate of expansion and contraction.

3. How is the rate of expansion and contraction of gas measured?

The rate of expansion and contraction of gas can be measured using a device called a gas thermometer. This thermometer contains a gas, usually helium or hydrogen, which expands and contracts with changes in temperature. The change in volume of the gas is then measured and used to determine the rate of expansion or contraction.

4. What are some real-life applications of gas that expands and contracts quickly?

Gas that expands and contracts quickly has several practical applications, such as in thermometers, thermostats, and air conditioning systems. It is also used in engines and turbines to generate power, as well as in the production of various industrial and consumer products.

5. How does the behavior of gas that expands and contracts quickly differ from that of other states of matter?

Unlike solids and liquids, gases have a high degree of compressibility, meaning they can be squeezed into a smaller volume. They also have a low density and can easily flow and fill any available space. Additionally, the molecules in gases are in constant motion, making them more susceptible to changes in temperature that cause expansion and contraction.

Back