Gaseous Chemical Reactions and Volumes

In summary, the reaction releases 200 mL of water vapor at a pressure of 1 atm and a temperature of 25 degrees Celsius.
danielakkerma
(Hi everyone! Apologising for the trivial(and likely boring) question in advance. Sadly, it has me boggled for some reason).

Homework Statement

In a certain temperature and under a pressure, 500 mL of H2, and 100 mL of O2 are poured into a container. A Chemical reaction occurs as follows:
[tex] 2H_2+O_2 \rightarrow 2H_2O (g) [/tex]
Find the volume of the water vapour released in the reaction, with the same pressure and temperature.

Homework Equations

(My physical inclination): Conservation of Mass...

The Attempt at a Solution

Since no mass, of any element, is lost during this process, the right-hand and left-hand sides of the equation must equal, when considering their respective mass input.
So:
[tex]
2\cdot x\cdot m^{'}_{H_2}+y\cdot m^{'}_{O_2} = 2\cdot z\cdot m^{'}_{H_2O}
[/tex]
(m' denotes the respective molar mass. x, y, z, mole counts, derived below).
Since I know the Physical conditions to be constant during process, I take arbitrary Pressure, and Temperature (P, T), to obtain:
[tex] x_i = \frac{pV_i}{RT} [/tex]
Therefore:
[tex]
2 \frac{pV_1}{RT}m^{'}_{H_2}+\frac{pV_2}{RT}m^{'}_{O_2}=2\frac{pV_3}{RT}m^{'}_{H_2O}
[/tex]
As expected, I lose my P/RT, to find:
[tex]
2 m^{'}_{1}\cdot V_1+m^{'}_{2}\cdot V_2 = 2m^{'}_{3}\cdot V_3
[/tex]
Therefore, solving for V_3:
[tex]V_3 = \frac{2 m^{'}_{1}\cdot V_1+m^{'}_{2}\cdot V_2}{2m^{'}_{3}} \approx 144.44 mL \\
m^{'}_{1} \Rightarrow H_2 = 2\frac{g}{mol} \\
m^{'}_{2} \Rightarrow O_2 = 32\frac{g}{mol} \\
m^{'}_{3} \Rightarrow H_2O = 18\frac{g}{mol}
[/tex]
Yet, I fear, this is not the correct answer!
What have I done wrong?
Thankful, as always, for your attention,
Daniel

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry guys and gals for bumping this, but I've ascertained the correct answer to be 200 mL and I still can't figure out how to get it!
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Beholden,
Daniel

Okay folks, solution at hand!
My mistake was rooted in the fact that I didn't consider who the limiting reagent was, in this question.
By calculating with the given volumes I find that [tex]\frac{n_{H_2}}{n_{O_2}} = 5 > 2[/tex](n -> number of moles), meaning that O2 will form my constraint. It will have run out before the sequestration of all the Hydrogen in the system.
Therefore, the amount of Water vapour produced will depend solely on the amount of Oxygen invested in the reaction.
Thus: [tex] n_{O_2} = \frac{PV_{O_2}}{RT} \\
1 n_{O_2} \rightarrow 2 n_{H_2O} \\
\frac{2PV_{O_2}}{RT}m^{'}_{H_2O} = \rho_{H_2O}V_{H_2O} \text{ (Conservation of mass)} \\
\rho = \frac{m^{'}P}{RT} \\
\frac{2PV_{O_2}}{RT}m^{'}_{H_2O} = \frac{m^{'}_{H_2O}P}{RT}V_{H_2O} \\
[/tex]
Pm'(H20)/RT is lost, to finally yield:
[tex]V_{H_2O} = 2V_{O_2} = 200 mL[/tex] which is indeed the right answer!
Thanks for your attention everyone,
And I hope this helps someone else, with similar difficulties.

Limiting reagent first, but then you did a lot of completely unnecessary work - Avogadro's law tells us ratio of volumes (measured at the same P,T) is identical to the ratio of numbers of moles. This makes the exercise trivial.

Thanks Borek... that'll really come in handy.
(The Mathematical sirens in me decided to lure me into a pointless exercise in variables and &c). :D.
Of course, in hind sight, applying Avogadro is the only rational way to go, as you say.
Will keep it simpler, from now on.
Thank you!

Related to Gaseous Chemical Reactions and Volumes

What is a gaseous chemical reaction?

A gaseous chemical reaction is a process in which two or more substances combine or break down to form one or more gaseous products. These reactions involve the transfer of electrons between atoms and result in a change in the chemical composition of the substances involved.

What factors affect the volume of a gaseous reaction?

The volume of a gaseous reaction is affected by temperature, pressure, and the amount of gas present. Increasing the temperature and/or pressure will cause the gas molecules to move faster and take up more space, resulting in an increase in volume. The amount of gas present also plays a role, as adding more gas molecules will increase the volume.

How do you calculate the volume of a gaseous reaction?

The volume of a gaseous reaction can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature and inversely proportional to its pressure. The equation is V = nRT/P, where V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, T is temperature in Kelvin, and P is pressure in atmospheres.

What is Avogadro's law and how does it relate to gaseous reactions?

Avogadro's law states that equal volumes of gases at the same temperature and pressure contain an equal number of molecules. This law is important in gaseous reactions because it allows us to compare the volume of different gases involved in a reaction and determine the ratio of their molecules.

What is the difference between an exothermic and endothermic gaseous reaction?

An exothermic gaseous reaction releases energy in the form of heat, causing the surroundings to become warmer. On the other hand, an endothermic gaseous reaction absorbs energy from the surroundings, resulting in a decrease in temperature. The direction of heat flow is determined by the change in enthalpy (ΔH) of the reaction. A negative ΔH indicates an exothermic reaction, while a positive ΔH indicates an endothermic reaction.