Gauge and Absolute Pressure- Hydraulics

In summary, the difference between gauge and absolute pressure is that gauge pressure is relative to atmospheric pressure, while absolute pressure is relative to a perfect vacuum. The equation for both is P = pgh.
ElBell

Homework Statement

I am reading through my introductory course notes, and am given a question I don't understand how to answer.

A rectangular tank contains fresh water inside it to a depth of 0.5m. The tank is 1m long and .7m wide.

a) calculate gauge pressure at the bottom of tank
b) calculate absolute pressure at the bottom of tank

Homework Equations

P = pgh ?

The Attempt at a Solution

(This is only a workbook example, not an assignment question)
Can somebody please explain to me the difference between gauge and absolute pressure, and what the equation is for above?

[I have tried to work out density of water (p) using 1000 x .35 = 350 but I don't think its right).

1000 is density of water, .35 is area of water.

please help! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Gauge pressure is the pressure relative to atmospheric pressure. It is the difference between the absolute pressure and atmospheric pressure. Absolute pressure is the pressure relative to a perfect vacuum. It is the sum of gauge pressure and atmospheric pressure. The equation you need is P = pgh, where P is the pressure, p is the density of the fluid (1000 kg/m3 for water), g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2) and h is the height of the fluid column (0.5 m in this case). So, the gauge pressure at the bottom of the tank is P = 1000 x 9.8 x 0.5 = 4900 Pa. The absolute pressure at the bottom of the tank is P + Patm = 4900 + 101325 = 106225 Pa.

Related to Gauge and Absolute Pressure- Hydraulics

What is gauge pressure?

Gauge pressure is the pressure measured relative to atmospheric pressure. It is typically used in hydraulic systems to indicate the pressure in the system at a specific point.

What is absolute pressure?

Absolute pressure is the total pressure at a specific point, including both the pressure from the surrounding atmosphere and any additional pressure from other sources, such as a hydraulic system.

How do you measure gauge pressure in a hydraulic system?

Gauge pressure in a hydraulic system can be measured using a pressure gauge, which is typically connected to a specific point in the system. The gauge will display the pressure in units such as pounds per square inch (psi) or bar.

What is the difference between gauge and absolute pressure in hydraulics?

The main difference between gauge and absolute pressure in hydraulics is that gauge pressure is measured relative to atmospheric pressure, while absolute pressure takes into account the total pressure at a specific point, including atmospheric pressure.

Why is it important to monitor both gauge and absolute pressure in a hydraulic system?

Monitoring both gauge and absolute pressure in a hydraulic system is important for understanding the overall pressure and performance of the system. Gauge pressure can indicate any changes or fluctuations in pressure within the system, while absolute pressure can help identify any potential issues or malfunctions that may be affecting the overall pressure.