Gauss-Bonnet term extrinsic curvature

In summary: If you have any references that you think would be helpful, please do not hesitate to share. :)In summary, the extrinsic curvature, J, associated with a given Lagrangian L is calculated by multiplying the second fundamental form, bαβ, by the trace of the action.
sourena
Gauss-Bonnet term extrinsic curvature calculations?

In General Relativity if one wants to calculate the field equation with surface term, must use this equation:
S=[itex]\frac{1}{16\pi G}[/itex][itex]\int\sqrt{-g} R d^{4} x[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{8\pi G}[/itex][itex]\int\sqrt{-h} K d^{3} x[/itex]
The second term is so-called Gibbons-Hawking boundary term and K is extrinsic curvature.
If one is about to use another Lagrangian, for instance Gauss-Bonnet term, must calculate the new extrinsic curvature, K, associated with this new Lagrangian.
I want to know is there a standard method for calculating K?
I would be grateful if anybody can help me in learning this procedure. Please introduce references if you know some.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
According to Wikipedia, what Gibbons-Hawking-York call "extrinsic curvature K" is the trace of the second fundmental form. Nonstandard terminology! But if this is correct, I can answer your question.

To describe a surface embedded in a larger manifold you need two sets of coordinates, hence two types of indices. Let xi be the coordinates in the outer manifold and uα coordinates in the submanifold, the surface. A basic quantity that transforms between them is

xiα = ∂xi/∂uα

This is a hybrid quantity, sometimes called a bitensor, with both kinds of indices present. The covariant derivative of such an object requires both kinds of Christoffel symbols,

xiα;β = ∂2xi/∂uα∂uβ + (outer)Γijkxjxk - (inner)Γδαβxiδ

It's easy to convince oneself that xiα;β represents a set of vectors orthonormal to the surface. Hence there must exist a surface tensor bαβ such that

xiα;β = bαβni

where ni is the normal vector. bαβ is called the second fundamental form.

The curvature you are after is the trace of bαβ.

The second fundamental form was defined to me as the vector-valued one-form (on the tangent bundle to the hypersurface) [itex]\nabla n[/itex] where n is the normal vector field to the hypersurface in question, and the nabla operator is the covariant derivative operator on your manifold (restricted to directions in the hypersurface obviously). In this way, the second fundamental form (which is also sometimes called the extrinsic curvature!) measures the amount by which the normal field varies from point to point on the hypersurface.

Alternatively, the second fundamental form can be found, after some calculation, to be:
[tex]K=\frac{1}{2} L_n g'[/tex]

Where L is the Lie derivative, and g' is the induced 3-metric on the hypersurface.

This equation is the one found in Wald.

Sorry sourena, I think I misunderstood your question! You're not asking, "How do I calculate the extrinsic curvature", you're asking, "What if the Lagrangian is something else besides R, then what will K be?".

I don't have an immediate answer, but here are some thoughts. For a general Lagrangian L which is a function of fields φ and their derivatives φμ,

δL = (∂L/∂φ)δφ + (∂L/φμ)δφμ

When we vary the action W = ∫L d4x,

δW = ∫δL d4x = ∫((∂L/∂φ)δφ + (∂L/φμ)δφμ)d4x

we need to integrate the second term by parts:

δW = ∫((∂L/∂φ - ∂μ(∂L/φμ) )δφ d4x + ∫∂μ((∂L/φμ)δφ)d4x

and write the total divergence as a surface term:

∫((∂L/φμ)δφ) d∑μ

What you want then is to find a K that produces this, i.e. such that

δK/δφ = (∂L/φμ)δφ nμ

where nμ is the normal to the surface.

Is this getting warm, do you think?

(For relativity, L = R and φ = gμν)

Last edited:
Dear Bill_K and Matterwave

First of all, thank you so much for your time and attention. I value it a great deal.

Yes Bill_k, this is what I want to do. To be more precise I'm going to explain what exactly I want:

Consider the action

SM=(1/2k2)[itex]\int d^{D}x\sqrt{-g}[/itex]{R-2[itex]\Lambda[/itex]+[itex]\alpha[/itex] LGB}

where LGB=R2-4 RabRab+RabcdRabcd

Varying the action with respect to metric gives

[itex]\delta[/itex]SM=(1/2k2)[itex]\int d^{D}x\sqrt{-g}[/itex][itex]\delta[/itex]gab(Gab+[itex]\Lambda[/itex]gab+2[itex]\alpha[/itex]Hab)-(1/k2)[itex]\int d^{D-1}x\sqrt{-h}[/itex]na(ga[cgd]b+2[itex]\alpha[/itex]Pabcd)[itex]\nabla[/itex]d[itex]\delta[/itex]gbc,

where hab=gab-nanb is induced metric,

Pabcd=Rabcd+2Rb[cgd]a-2Ra[cgd]b+Rga[cgd]b,

and Hab=RRab-2RacRcb-2RcdRabcd+RacdeRbcde-(1/4)(R2-4RcdRcd+RcdesRcdes) the Lovelock tensor.

From the second term in [itex]\delta[/itex]SM one is able to calculate the following action

S[itex]\Sigma[/itex]=[itex]\int d^{D-1}x\sqrt{-h}[/itex](K+2[itex]\alpha[/itex]{J-2[itex]\hat{G}[/itex]abKab})

Please look at the following paper, page 2

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0208205

I want to learn the procedure by which I can calculate the extrinsic curvature, J and so forth from the boundary term.

I hope I could explain what exactly I want.

Related to Gauss-Bonnet term extrinsic curvature

1. What is the Gauss-Bonnet term in extrinsic curvature?

The Gauss-Bonnet term in extrinsic curvature is a mathematical expression used in differential geometry to describe the curvature of a surface in three-dimensional space. It is a combination of the extrinsic curvature of the surface and the intrinsic curvature, which is determined by the shape of the surface itself.

2. How is the Gauss-Bonnet term related to the curvature of a surface?

The Gauss-Bonnet term is directly related to the total curvature of a surface. It takes into account both the extrinsic curvature, which is determined by the surface's embedding in three-dimensional space, and the intrinsic curvature, which is determined by the surface's own geometry.

3. What is the significance of the Gauss-Bonnet term in extrinsic curvature?

The Gauss-Bonnet term is significant because it provides a way to measure the total curvature of a surface, taking into account both the extrinsic and intrinsic components. It is also used in various mathematical and physical theories, such as general relativity and string theory.

4. How is the Gauss-Bonnet term calculated?

The Gauss-Bonnet term is calculated using a mathematical formula involving the extrinsic curvature tensor and the intrinsic curvature of the surface. This formula was first derived by mathematicians Carl Friedrich Gauss and Pierre-Simon Laplace in the 19th century.

5. In what fields of study is the Gauss-Bonnet term extrinsic curvature used?

The Gauss-Bonnet term extrinsic curvature is used in various fields of study, including differential geometry, topology, and theoretical physics. It has applications in understanding the curvature of surfaces in three-dimensional space, as well as in more advanced theories such as general relativity and string theory.