Gauss' Law -- Clarification about using the equation please

In summary, when using Gauss' law, the da on the left side represents the surface area of the Gaussian surface, while on the right side, it is the surface area of the original shape. The charge density, q, is multiplied by the appropriate surface area depending on the type of charge being considered (i.e. line charge, surface charge, or volume charge).
grandpa2390

Homework Statement

I keep getting confused about this part of Gauss' law.

Is the da on the left side the surface area of the the Gaussian surface?

and on the right side when I am integrating. I say that q = the charge density multiplied by something. Is that something surface area of the original shape?

if I am doing a line charge and draw a cylindrical gaussian surface. on the left, da= the surface area of the cylinder (the round side). and on the right, q = lambda*l (the surface area of the line charge)

if I am doing a gaussian cylinder around a cylinder then da is the surface area of the cylinder on the left, and on the right it is the surface of the original cylinder (integrated over the radius)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
grandpa2390 said:
q = the charge density multiplied by something. Is that something surface area of the original shape?
It depends how the charge density is defined. For a line charge it will be charge per unit length, so multiply by (or, for non-uniform charge, integrate wrt) the length. For a surface charge, e.g. on a conductor, multiply by/integrate wrt area. For a spatial distribution of charge, volume.

Related to Gauss' Law -- Clarification about using the equation please

What is Gauss' Law?

Gauss' Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric field to the distribution of electric charges. It states that the electric flux through any closed surface is equal to the total enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space.

How is Gauss' Law used in practice?

Gauss' Law is used to calculate the electric field in situations with high symmetry, such as a point charge, a line of charge, or a uniformly charged spherical shell. It allows for a simplified calculation of the electric field without having to consider the contributions of individual charges.

What is the equation for Gauss' Law?

The equation for Gauss' Law is ∮E·dA = Q/ε0, where ∮E·dA represents the electric flux through a closed surface, Q is the total enclosed charge, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

How do I know which surface to use when applying Gauss' Law?

The surface used in Gauss' Law should be chosen to have as much symmetry as possible. This will allow for a simpler calculation of the electric field. For example, a spherical surface can be used for a point charge, while a cylindrical surface can be used for a line of charge.

Can Gauss' Law be used for any situation involving electric charges?

No, Gauss' Law can only be used for situations with high symmetry, where the electric field can be assumed to be constant over the surface being considered. In cases of low symmetry, other methods such as Coulomb's Law must be used to calculate the electric field.