Gaussian integral to polar coordinates - limit help?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of polar coordinates in integration and how it can help solve certain integrals. The limits for the outer and inner integrals are determined by the original integral and the shape of the region of integration. The conversation also mentions the use of the erf function for calculating integrals with finite domains.
maistral
I'm trying my very best to understand it, but really, I just couldn't get it. I read four books now, and some 6 pdf files and they don't give me a clear cut answer :(

Alright, so this integral;
∫e-x2dx from -∞ to ∞, when converted to polar integral, limits become from 0 to 2∏ for the outer integral, then 0 to ∞ for the inner integral.

What I don't understand is, why is it if the original integral is ∫e-x2dx from 0 to ∞, the outer integral's limits become ∏/2? Why is it not ∏?

Further, what if I need to integrate the same function, say from 0 to 1? Will polar integration help me? If it does, what will happen?

Thanks and more power guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, to add: I know the "apparent magic" that is supposed to happen here (The double integral thing by assigning the entire integral to a since variable, say I then squaring it, then the dummy variable thing, then convert dxdy to rdrd(theta)), but what I really don't get is the polar conversion of the limit. Thanks. :D

So the region is all of the plane, so you started with the rectangular limits, x and y each go from negative to positive infinity.

In polar coordinates, that (entire plane) corresponds to r going from 0 to infinity, while theta goes from 0 to 2pi.

So if your original integral goes from 0 to infty, then you square it and get an integral over the part of the plane where both x and y go from 0 to infty. In other words, it is just over the first quadrant. And your calculated integral is 1/4 what you would have computed over the whole plane. So when you take the square root, you get 1/2 of the original integral that went from -infty to infty as expected.

Thanks, I got it now why was it ∏/2.

I couldn't get the explanation why did it became 2∏ when integrating from -∞ to ∞, though.

Is it because, if my original integral goes from -∞ to ∞, then I square it, it would generate an area from -y to y axis, and -x to x axis? And since that is basically the entire Cartesian plane, I have to use 2∏ which is also the entire Polar plane? I don't know, I'm just building it from the ∏/2 example.

A little follow up too, will this double integration w/ polar coordinates can solve integrals like, say, ∫e-x2dx from -6 to 3? I wanted accurate answers, but if it's too much hassle I guess I'm better off with the trapezoidal technique with very small stepsizes. Thanks guys.

Hi !
(details of integrations in attachment)

Attachments

• Gauss Integral.JPG
    Gauss Integral.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 3,497
maistral said:
A little follow up too, will this double integration w/ polar coordinates can solve integrals like, say, ∫e-x2dx from -6 to 3? I wanted accurate answers, but if it's too much hassle I guess I'm better off with the trapezoidal technique with very small stepsizes. Thanks guys.

Of course, in case of a finite domain of integration, if it is not circular, but rectangular, the polar coordinates are of no use : Integration would be much too complicated.
Even with cartesian coordinates, the result cannot be expressed in terms of a finite number of elementary functions. It requiers infinite series or, on closed form, a special function namely the erf function (see attachment)
Numerical values for the erf function are provided by numerical calculus softwares.
Efficient algorithms can be found on the web. For example, an algorithm for erf computation is shown on page 14 of the paper "Régressions et équations intégrales" :
http://www.scribd.com/JJacquelin/documents

Attachments

• Erf.JPG
    Erf.JPG
    2 KB · Views: 693
Last edited:
Oh! Thanks very much for the help. :D

And yeah, just to confirm, is my thinking "correct"?

Is it because, if my original integral goes from -∞ to ∞, then I square it, it would generate an area from -y to y axis, and -x to x axis? And since that is basically the entire Cartesian plane, I have to use 2∏ which is also the entire Polar plane? I don't know, I'm just building it from the ∏/2 example.

I just wanted to be sure. :D

Yes, it is correct.

Related to Gaussian integral to polar coordinates - limit help?

1. What is a Gaussian integral to polar coordinates?

A Gaussian integral to polar coordinates is a way of solving integrals involving expressions with exponentials and trigonometric functions by converting them into a polar coordinate system. This method can be useful in simplifying complex integrals and finding their limits.

2. How do I convert a Gaussian integral to polar coordinates?

To convert a Gaussian integral to polar coordinates, you need to use the substitution r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2) and theta = arctan(y/x). This will transform the Cartesian coordinates (x, y) into polar coordinates (r, theta) and allow you to solve the integral in terms of r and theta.

3. What is the limit of a Gaussian integral to polar coordinates?

The limit of a Gaussian integral to polar coordinates depends on the specific integral being solved. However, in general, the limit can be found by evaluating the integral as r approaches infinity and theta approaches 0 or 2pi, depending on the bounds of the integral.

4. What are the benefits of using a Gaussian integral to polar coordinates?

Using a Gaussian integral to polar coordinates can often simplify complex integrals and make them easier to solve. It can also reveal symmetries in the integrand and make it easier to find the limit of the integral.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Gaussian integral to polar coordinates?

While a Gaussian integral to polar coordinates can be a useful tool, it may not always be applicable or efficient for solving integrals. Some integrals may not have a simple polar coordinate representation, and it may be easier to solve them using other techniques.