Gaussian integral using integration by parts

In summary, the formula for calculating Gaussian integral using integration by parts is ∫e<sup>-x<sup>2</sup></sup>dx = √π/2. The limits of integration for a Gaussian integral are typically from negative infinity to positive infinity, as the Gaussian function is symmetric and has no finite bounds. Additionally, Gaussian integrals can be solved using other methods such as substitution, completing the square, and using the error function. In mathematics, the Gaussian integral has many applications in probability, differential equations, and heat transfer. In real life, it is used in fields such as signal processing, image processing, finance, and statistics.
mbigras

Homework Statement

Show in detail that:
[tex]
\sigma_{x}^{2} = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} (x -\bar{x})^{2} \frac{1}{\sigma \sqrt{2 \pi}}e^{-\frac{(x-X)^{2}}{2\sigma^{2}}} = \sigma^{2}
[/tex]
where,
[tex]
G_{X,\sigma}(x) = \frac{1}{\sigma \sqrt{2 \pi}}e^{-\frac{(x-X)^{2}}{2\sigma^{2}}}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]
\int u dv = uv -\int v du
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

There are some hints that are given. Replace [itex]\bar{x}[/itex] with [itex]X[/itex] (according to the text, this is because they are equal after many trials). make the substitutions [itex]x-X=y[/itex] and [itex] y/\sigma=z[/itex]. Integrate by parts to obtain the result.

After following the hints I get the following integral:
[tex]
\frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{\infty}^{\infty} z^{2}e^{-\frac{z^{2}}{2}}dz
[/tex]
How would one go about using integration by parts for this integral?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried?

BTW, your problem statement doesn't look right. That ##(x-\bar x)## should be ##(x-\bar x)^2##. You also have a problem in your final integral.

If the problem is what you asked, you want to integrate by parts twice, taking down the ##x^2## one degree at each step.

You only need to integrate by parts once if you know the value of ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp(x^2) \, dx## (or of ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp(x^2/2) \, dx\,\,##).

D H said:
You only need to integrate by parts once if you know the value of ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp(x^2) \, dx## (or of ##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp(x^2/2) \, dx\,\,##).
as it happens I don't know, altho I think I have done them over and over -- you'd think I would learn.

Working with integration by parts I've tried some different combinations of [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]dv[/itex]:

[tex]
\frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} z^{2} e^{-\frac{z^2}{2}} dz\\
u=z^{2}\\
du = 2 z dz\\
dv = e^{-\frac{z^{2}}{2}}dz\\
v = 2.5\\
2.5 z^{2} |_{-\infty}^{\infty} - \int 2.5 *2z dz\\
=0
[/tex]

Trying to recognize some symetry:
[tex]
\frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} z^{2} e^{-\frac{z^2}{2}} dz\\
\frac{2\sigma}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{0}^{\infty} z^{2} e^{-\frac{z^2}{2}} dz\\
u = z^{2}\\
dv = e^{-\frac{z^{2}}{2}} dz
[/tex]
seems to blow up to infinity as does setting [itex]u=z[/itex] and [itex]dv = ze^{-\frac{z^{2}}{2}}dz[/itex]

What I would like is a hint about choosing my [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]dv[/itex]. Or it seems like there's something I'm missing here.

Don't use limits when integrating dv. The latter choice of u=z and ##dv=ze^{-z^2/2}\,dz## is the way to go.

[tex]
\frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} z^{2} e^{-\frac{z^{2}}{2}}dz\\
u = z\\
du = dz\\
\\
dv = z e^{-\frac{z^{2}}{2}} dz\\
v = ?\\
\\
[/tex]
working to find v and using a strange result that I found on the boards mentioned by nicksauce near the middle of the page link
[tex]
\int z e^{-\frac{z^{2}}{2}} dz\\
u = z\\
du = dz\\
\\
dv = e^{-\frac{z^{2}}{2}} dz \\
v = \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{\sqrt{2}}\\
\\
z\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{\sqrt{2}} - \int \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{\sqrt{2}} dz = 0\\
[/tex]
plugging back into above
[tex]
u = z\\
du = dz\\
v = 0\\
\\
[/tex]
It seems like everything just keeps going to 0 or infinity.

Don't use limits when integrating dv. Calculate the indefinite integral.

How would I handle [itex] \int e^{-\frac{z^{2}}{2}} dz[/itex] if its an indefinite integral?

You don't.

[tex]
\sigma_{x}^{2} = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} (x-X)^2 \frac{1}{\sigma\sqrt{2\pi}} e^{-(x-X)^{2}/2\sigma^{2}} \\

= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} y^2 \frac{1}{\sigma\sqrt{2\pi}} e^{-y^{2}/2\sigma^{2}} \\

= \frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{y^2}{\sigma^{2}}e^{-y^{2}/2\sigma^{2}} \\

= \frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} z^{2}e^{-z^{2}/2} \\
[/tex]

then IBP and a u-sub to find [itex]v[/itex] by evaluating [itex]dv[/itex] as an indefinite integral.
[tex]
u = z\\
du = dz\\
\\
v = -e^{-\frac{z^{2}}{2}}\\
\\
\\
-ze^{-z^2/2} |_{-\infty}^{\infty} + \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-z^{2}/2}dz\\
= \sqrt{2\pi}
[/tex]
going back up to the top
[tex]
\sigma_{x}^{2} = \sigma
[/tex]

Can you see where I'm missing the extra [itex]\sigma[/itex]? Also, what is the point of doing integration by parts if I just end up with the integral [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-z^{2}/2}dz=\sqrt{2\pi}[/itex], but I had to use wolfram to evaluate it, when at the very beginning I could have used wolfram to get [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} z^{2}e^{-z^{2}/2}=\sqrt{2\pi}[/itex].

Is there a trick to evaluating [itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-z^{2}/2}dz[/itex] by hand?

mbigras said:
Can you see where I'm missing the extra [itex]\sigma[/itex]?
You left out the dx, dy, and dz in your integrals. Don't do that.

mbigras said:
Working with integration by parts I've tried some different combinations of [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]dv[/itex]:

[tex]
u=z^{2}\\
du = 2 z dz\\
dv = e^{-\frac{z^{2}}{2}}dz\\
v = 2.5\\
2.5 z^{2} |_{-\infty}^{\infty} - \int 2.5 *2z dz\\
=0
[/tex]

Trying to recognize some symetry:
[tex]
\frac{2\sigma}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{0}^{\infty} z^{2} e^{-\frac{z^2}{2}} dz\\
u = z^{2}\\
dv = e^{-\frac{z^{2}}{2}} dz
[/tex]
seems to blow up to infinity as does setting [itex]u=z[/itex] and [itex]dv = ze^{-\frac{z^{2}}{2}}dz[/itex]

What I would like is a hint about choosing my [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]dv[/itex]. Or it seems like there's something I'm missing here.

Using ##u = z## and ##dv = z\: \exp(-z^2/2) \, dz## is exactly the way to go. I cannot get it to "blow up" as you claim.

D H said:
You left out the dx, dy, and dz in your integrals. Don't do that.
And there is my missing sigma! Thank you DH.

FAQ: Gaussian integral using integration by parts

1. What is the formula for calculating Gaussian integral using integration by parts?

The formula for calculating Gaussian integral using integration by parts is ∫e-x2dx = √π/2.

2. How do you determine the limits of integration for a Gaussian integral?

The limits of integration for a Gaussian integral are typically from negative infinity to positive infinity. This is because the Gaussian function is symmetric about the origin and has no finite bounds.

3. Can Gaussian integrals be solved using other methods besides integration by parts?

Yes, Gaussian integrals can also be solved using other methods such as substitution, completing the square, and using the error function.

4. What is the significance of the Gaussian integral in mathematics?

The Gaussian integral has many applications in mathematics, physics, and statistics. It is used in the calculation of probability distributions, in solving differential equations, and in the study of heat transfer and diffusion processes.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the Gaussian integral using integration by parts?

Yes, the Gaussian integral using integration by parts is used in various fields such as signal processing, image processing, and finance. It is also used in the calculation of the area under a normal distribution curve, which has many real-life applications in statistics and probability.