Gaussian surface - which charges contribute to the electric field

In summary, the conversation discusses a figure with a dashed line representing a Gaussian surface enclosing four positive charges. The questions revolve around which charges contribute to the electric field at a specific point and the comparison of flux values using only two of the charges versus all four. The equations for electric flux and Gauss's law are mentioned, and it is determined that all charges contribute to the electric field at the point, and using all four charges would result in a greater flux value. The person asking for help is advised to review Gaussian surfaces and how they relate to electric field and charges.
alex21

Homework Statement

in the following figure, the dashed line denotes a Gaussian surface
enclosing part of a distribution of four positive charges.

a) which charges contribute to the electric field at P?
b) is the value of the flux though the surface, calculated using
only the electric field due to q1 and q2, greater than, equal to,
or less than that obtained using the field due to all four charges?

Homework Equations

&Phi;=&int;E*A=Q<sub>enclosed/&epsilon;
Φ=∫E*A=Qenclosed/ε

The Attempt at a Solution

a)what I tried to do is to draw the field line of each charge since all of them are positive they will repel each other and at P the electric field will be zero so none of them contributes to the field
b) I don't fully understan question B but I would say that since all charges are equal and for the flux through the surface I will only consider q1 and q2 the flux must be equal

hel please!

Attachments

• Dibujo.JPG
    Dibujo.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 551
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should review a gaussian surface and how the electric field and charges contained within relate. Your equation for the flux should be enough to let you know. The subscript for Q_enclosed is precisely that, the charge enclosed in the gaussian surface. Also, this question belongs in the introductory physics homework subforum, not engineering.

ok second chance I was wrong about a) I can say now that all of them contribute to field at P because
The electric fiedl in the expression for Gauss´s law refers to the total electric field, not just the electric field due to any enclosed charge.
about question b) the charge enclosed in gaussian surface is q1+q2, if we use the field due to all four charges then the charge enclosed will be q1+q2+q3+q4 therefore the flux through the surface using only q1 and q2 it would be less if we use all four charges.

:( no body help me with me question though

I would like to clarify and expand upon the response to this content.

Firstly, a Gaussian surface is a hypothetical surface that is used to simplify calculations of electric fields. It is an imaginary surface that is chosen to enclose a specific region of space, and it is often chosen to be a symmetrical shape (such as a sphere or a cylinder) to simplify calculations.

In this scenario, the dashed line represents the Gaussian surface enclosing part of a distribution of four positive charges. The question asks which charges contribute to the electric field at point P, which is located outside of the Gaussian surface. To answer this question, we need to consider the electric field due to each individual charge at point P.

As mentioned, all four charges are positive and will therefore repel each other. At point P, the electric field will be a combination of the electric fields due to each individual charge. However, since the charges are symmetrically arranged, the electric field due to each charge will cancel out and result in a net electric field of zero at point P. Therefore, none of the charges contribute to the electric field at point P.

Moving on to the second question, it asks whether the value of the flux through the surface, calculated using only the electric field due to q1 and q2, is greater than, equal to, or less than that obtained using the field due to all four charges. To answer this question, we need to understand the concept of flux.

Flux is a measure of the flow of a physical quantity through a given surface. In this case, we are interested in the flux of the electric field through the Gaussian surface. The electric field due to all four charges will result in a certain amount of flux through the surface. However, if we only consider the electric field due to q1 and q2, the resulting flux will be less since the electric field is weaker. This is because the electric field due to q3 and q4 also contribute to the total flux through the surface.

In conclusion, none of the charges contribute to the electric field at point P, and the flux through the surface will be less if we only consider the electric field due to q1 and q2 compared to considering the electric field due to all four charges. This demonstrates the importance of considering all contributing factors when calculating physical quantities in science.

FAQ: Gaussian surface - which charges contribute to the electric field

1. What is a Gaussian surface and how is it related to electric fields?

A Gaussian surface is a hypothetical surface that is used to calculate the electric field at a specific point in space. It is chosen to simplify the calculation of the electric field by taking advantage of the symmetry of the charge distribution.

2. How do charges contribute to the electric field on a Gaussian surface?

Charges that lie inside the Gaussian surface contribute to the electric field by creating a flux of electric field lines through the surface. This flux is directly related to the amount of charge enclosed by the surface and the permittivity of the medium.

3. Can charges outside the Gaussian surface affect the electric field?

No, charges outside the Gaussian surface do not contribute to the electric field on the surface. This is because the electric field lines from these charges either do not pass through the surface or they pass through at an angle that does not contribute to the flux.

4. How is the electric field calculated on a Gaussian surface?

The electric field on a Gaussian surface is calculated using Gauss's law, which states that the flux of the electric field through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of the medium. This allows for a simplified calculation of the electric field by considering only the charges enclosed by the surface.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Gaussian surface to calculate the electric field?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a Gaussian surface. It is only applicable for calculating the electric field in situations where there is a high degree of symmetry, such as a point charge or a uniformly charged sphere. It is also important to choose the correct Gaussian surface in order to get an accurate calculation of the electric field.

Back