Gaussian type integral (but not a standard form)

In summary, the conversation discusses different attempts at solving the integral $$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\mathrm{e}^{-a^2 x^2}}{1 + x^2} \mathrm{d}x$$ and ultimately arrives at the solution of $$\pi e^{a^2} \mathrm{erfc}(a)$$. The conversation also mentions using trig substitutions, differentiation under the integral, and the gamma function to solve the integral.
OmnipotentEntity
When working a proof, I reached an expression similar to this:

$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\mathrm{e}^{-a^2 x^2}}{1 + x^2} \mathrm{d}x$$

I've tried the following:

1. I tried squaring and combining and converting to polar coordinates, like one would solve a standard Gaussian. However, this yielded something which seems no more amenable to a solution:

$$\int_{\theta=0}^{\theta=2\pi} \int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{r \mathrm{e}^{-a^2 r^2}}{(1 + r^2 \sin^2(\theta))(1 + r^2 \cos^2(\theta))} \mathrm{d}r \mathrm{d}\theta$$

2. I tried doing a trig substitution, t = tan u, and I have no idea what to do from there.

$$\int_{-\frac{\pi}{2}}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \mathrm{e}^{-a^2 \tan^2(u)} \mathrm{d}u$$

3. I looked into doing $$u^2 = 1 + x^2$$ but this gives us a ugly dx that I don't know how to handle, and moreover, I think I'm breaking my limits of integration (because Mathematica no longer solves it.):

$$\mathrm{e}^{a^2} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\mathrm{e}^{-a^2 u^2}}{u \sqrt{u^2 - 1}} \mathrm{d}u$$

4. I looked into some form of differentiation under the integral, but that didn't seem to yield anything that looked promising. (I checked parameterizing x^2 to x^b in both places, and in either place, and nothing canceled cleanly.)

I have a solution from Mathematica, it's:

$$\pi e^{a^2} \text{erfc}(a)$$

But I'd like to know how to arrive at this. I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing.

Physics news on Phys.org
I thought that you could write the integral as twice of it from ##0## to infinity and then use the gamma function (##t=a^2x^2##), but the sum in the denominator makes trouble. So probably a first substitution ##u=1+x^2## and next ##t=a^2x^2## would be better. You said it's for a proof, so does the Taylor series is sufficient?

I managed to solve it with some help elsewhere. Here's the steps:

$$f(a) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\mathrm{exp}(-a^2 y^2)}{1 + y^2} \mathrm{d}y$$

Then:

$$\begin{split}
f'(a) &= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\frac{\partial}{\partial a} \mathrm{exp}(-a^2 y^2)}{1 + y^2} \mathrm{d}y \\
&= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{-2a y^2 \mathrm{exp}(-a^2 y^2)}{1 + y^2} \mathrm{d}y \\
&= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{-2a ((1+y^2) - 1) \mathrm{exp}(-a^2 y^2)}{1 + y^2} \mathrm{d}y \\
&= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} -2a \mathrm{exp}(-a^2 y^2) \mathrm{d}y + \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{2a \mathrm{exp}(-a^2 y^2)}{1 + y^2} \mathrm{d}y \\
&= -2 \sqrt{\pi} + 2a f(a) \\
\end{split}$$

Which is just an ODE, and we get:

$$f(a) = \pi e^{a^2} (C - \mathrm{erf}(a))$$

And because $f(0) = \pi$ we see that $C = 1$ and we have:

$$f(a) = \pi e^{a^2} \mathrm{erfc}(a)$$

I had the first part, too, as it is ##\Gamma(\frac{1}{2})## and the factor two for symmetry reasons, but didn't see the second summand. Thanks for posting.

Related to Gaussian type integral (but not a standard form)

What is a Gaussian type integral?

A Gaussian type integral is a mathematical integral that involves a Gaussian function, which is a type of function that is commonly used in probability and statistics. It is characterized by a bell-shaped curve and is often used to model natural phenomena.

How is a Gaussian type integral different from a standard integral?

A Gaussian type integral is different from a standard integral in that it involves a Gaussian function instead of a general function. This means that the limits of integration and the integrand may be different from what is typically seen in a standard integral.

What are some applications of Gaussian type integrals?

Gaussian type integrals have numerous applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, engineering, and economics. They are commonly used to solve problems involving probability distributions, heat transfer, quantum mechanics, and financial modeling.

How do you solve a Gaussian type integral?

Solving a Gaussian type integral involves using various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fraction decomposition. It also requires knowledge of the properties of the Gaussian function and its derivatives.

Are there any special methods for evaluating Gaussian type integrals?

Yes, there are special methods for evaluating Gaussian type integrals, such as the Gaussian quadrature method and the saddle point method. These methods are often used to approximate the value of the integral when an exact solution is not possible.