Gauss's Law - Cube with point charge at centre

In summary: No. The electric field due to the two charges is not equal, because one is positive and one is negative.
roman15

Homework Statement

a)A charge Q=10nC is placed at the origin, which is the centre of a cube with side lengths a=1cm whose faces are perpendicular to the x,y and z axis. What is the total flux through the box and what is the average of the perpendicular component of the electric field on the right hand face centred on (0, a/2, 0)?

b)Now a second charge, -Q, is placed at (0,a,0). Now what is the total flux and the average fo the perpendicular component of the electric field at (0,a/2,0)?

Homework Equations

flux=Q/eo
so i was able to calculate the flux easily, but i don't understand what is meant by the average perpendicular component of the electric field
the only thing i can think of it that EA=Q/eo, so i just solve for E? is that right

for the second part, wouldn't the total flux still be the same, because the second charge isn't enclosed in the cube

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
hi roman15! :smile:

(have an epsilon: ε :wink:)
roman15 said:
flux=Q/eo
so i was able to calculate the flux easily, but i don't understand what is meant by the average perpendicular component of the electric field
the only thing i can think of it that EA=Q/eo, so i just solve for E? is that right

i think they just mean the flux though that face, divided by the area :wink:
for the second part, wouldn't the total flux still be the same, because the second charge isn't enclosed in the cube

yup! :biggrin:

oh so then it would be 1/6 of the flux divided by the area of that face!
oh and then wouldn't the average perpendicular component for part b also be the same? because the flux and area are the same

yes! :smile:

and yes, the extra would be the same :wink:

roman15 said:
oh and then wouldn't the average perpendicular component for part b also be the same? because the flux and area are the same

No. In part a equal flux passes through each face of the cube, but not in part b! So you can't just take the total flux through the cube and divide by 6 to get the flux through the specified face. You should figure out the flux through that face due to the first charge, and the flux due to the second charge, and sum them up to get the total flux through that face (then divide by the area of the face to get the average perpendicular electric field across the face [you do this because the electric flux per unit area through a surface is defined as the component of the electric field perpendicular to the surface]).

oh ok
but the second charge is equal but opposite to the first charge, so wouldn't the flux from the second charge cancel out with the flux from the first charge, so then the perpendicular electric field would be zero

yes … if I'm reading the question right, the charges are equal and opposite, and the displacements are equal and opposite (ie it's a mirror! :wink:), so the fluxes are the same :smile:

but then that doesn't make sense that the field between two opposite charges would be zero

oops!

roman15 said:
but then that doesn't make sense that the field between two opposite charges would be zero

oops! I got confused :confused:

i don't know why i used "displacement", it's irrelevant :redface:

i should have said: "the charges are equal and opposite, and the distances are equal (ie it's a mirror! :wink:), so the fluxes are the equal and opposite :smile:"

sorry! :redface:

its alright lol, but I am still confused, because if the total flux is zero then that means there is no electric field between the charges, but there has to be...

The total flux through the face isn't zero. Draw the setup and you will see that the fluxes from the two charges are in the same direction through the face, and so add together (instead of cancelling each other).

oh because one is positive and one is negative, the field lines are pointing in the same direction
so would the total flux=2Q/eo?
and then the electric field would be that divided by the area?

Q/e0 tells you the flux through a closed surface in terms of the total charge enclosed by that surface. But here we want the flux through a square, which isn't a closed surface.

However, you can make the argument tiny-tim is talking about: since the charges have equal magnitudes, and are placed symmetrically at equal distances from the face, the flux through the face from each charge is equal. And you already calculated the flux through that face from one of the charges.

roman15 said:
oh because one is positive and one is negative, the field lines are pointing in the same direction
so would the total flux=2Q/eo?
and then the electric field would be that divided by the area?

yes the fluxes are opposite, but they're going through the surface in opposite directions, so they add :smile:

ok thank you guys so much! I really appreciate it

Related to Gauss's Law - Cube with point charge at centre

What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface.

How is Gauss's Law applied to a cube with a point charge at the center?

In the case of a cube with a point charge at the center, Gauss's Law states that the electric flux through any closed surface surrounding the cube is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

What is the electric flux through the six faces of the cube?

The electric flux through each face of the cube is equal to the electric field strength at that face multiplied by the area of the face. Since the electric field strength is constant throughout the cube due to its symmetry, the total flux through all six faces is simply six times the electric field strength multiplied by the area of one face.

What is the formula for the electric field strength inside the cube?

The electric field strength inside the cube is given by the formula E = Q/(6*epsilon*A), where Q is the charge at the center of the cube, epsilon is the permittivity of free space, and A is the area of one face of the cube.

How does the electric field strength change if the point charge is moved to a different location within the cube?

If the point charge is moved to a different location within the cube, the electric field strength at any point inside the cube will change accordingly. However, the total electric flux through the cube will remain the same, as long as the charge remains enclosed by the cube.

Back