Gauss's Law (Notational confusion)

In summary: He was talking about taking the volume integral on both sides of ##\nabla\cdot E = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_{0}}## and then applying Gauss's theorem to the left side i.e. ##\int _{S}(\nabla\cdot E )dV = \int _{\partial S}E\cdot dA## to then say ##\int _{\partial S}E\cdot dA = \frac{1}{\epsilon_{0}}\int_{S} \rho dV## so it isn't at odds with what you said.
Mandelbroth
I'm familiar with the differential form of Gauss's Law, which reads that ##\nabla\cdot\vec{E}=\frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}##, where E is the electric field, ρ is the charge density, and ##\epsilon_0## is the permittivity of free space. We can take the volume integral of both sides, and then use the divergence theorem to obtain ##\displaystyle \iint\limits_{\partial V}(\vec{E}\cdot\hat{n}) \, dA = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0}\iiint\limits_{V}\rho \, dV##.

A friend of mine says that this is wrong, and that the statement of Gauss's Law in integral form is ##\displaystyle \oint\limits_{S}(\vec{E}\cdot\hat{n}) \, dA = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0}\iiint\limits_{V}\rho \, dV##. Is this just a notational issue, where the apparent closed line integral is just a physics shorthand for an integral over a surface, or am I misunderstanding what Gauss's Law is saying?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mandelbroth said:
Is this just a notational issue, where the apparent closed line integral is just a physics shorthand for an integral over a surface, or am I misunderstanding what Gauss's Law is saying?
I'd say it was a notational issue. The S under the "line integral" means that it's actually an integral over a closed surface.

As long as it is understood in the first expression that ##V\subseteq \mathbb{R}^{3}## is a compact regular surface with boundary (manifold boundary, to be precise), there is no issue. Intuitively, we want to enclose an arbitrary portion of the charge distribution generating the electric field so we wish to use a compact subset (since all compact subsets of ##\mathbb{R}^{3}## are closed and bounded) and the smooth requirement is obvious of course.

Mandelbroth said:
We can take the volume integral of both sides, and then use the divergence theorem

Take a close look at the divergence theorem. On one side is the volume integral of the divergence of ##\vec E##. On the other side is the surface integral of the flux of ##\vec E## through the surface of that volume.

jtbell said:
Take a close look at the divergence theorem. On one side is the volume integral of the divergence of ##\vec E##. On the other side is the surface integral of the flux of ##\vec E## through the surface of that volume.
He was talking about taking the volume integral on both sides of ##\nabla\cdot E = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_{0}}## and then applying Gauss's theorem to the left side i.e. ##\int _{S}(\nabla\cdot E )dV = \int _{\partial S}E\cdot dA## to then say ##\int _{\partial S}E\cdot dA = \frac{1}{\epsilon_{0}}\int_{S} \rho dV## so it isn't at odds with what you said.

jtbell said:
That's my point. My friend is convinced that the law is stating that the line integral of the electric field (how you'd think of that, I don't know) is given by the net charge divided by the permittivity of free space. I think this is the danger of only memorizing textbook equations without an understanding of where they come from, and I think it's kind of awesome that I can ask questions here to understand what I don't yet fully comprehend.

Thank you for answering, everybody. It's much appreciated.

Last edited:
Mandelbroth said:
That's my point. My friend is convinced that the law is stating that the line integral of the electric field (how you'd think of that, I don't know) is given by the net charge divided by the permittivity of free space.
I don't think he is saying that if what you wrote above is what your friend actually said. The appearance of an area element ##dA## in the integral makes it pretty clear that it is a surface integral but what your friend said is notationally not favorable since you really should write the integral over the boundary of something (e.g. ##\partial S##) to make it clear that you used Stokes' theorem. I've also never seen the "closed integral" notation (the circle in the middle) show up in physics outside of anything that uses vector calculus so you aren't losing out by not using it.

Related to Gauss's Law (Notational confusion)

What is Gauss's Law and why is there notation confusion surrounding it?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the distribution of electric charge to the electric field it produces. The confusion surrounding it primarily arises from the various notations used to represent the law, including the different symbols and equations used in different fields of physics.

What are the different notations used for Gauss's Law?

The two main notations used for Gauss's Law are the integral form, also known as the general form, and the differential form. The integral form uses the symbol ∮ to represent the electric flux, while the differential form uses the symbol ∇ to represent the divergence of the electric field.

How does the notation for Gauss's Law differ between electrostatics and electrodynamics?

In electrostatics, Gauss's Law is typically written in the integral form, using the symbol ∮ to represent the electric flux and the symbol Q to represent the enclosed charge. In electrodynamics, the law is typically written in the differential form, using the symbol ∇ to represent the divergence of the electric field and the symbol ρ to represent the charge density.

How can I remember the different notations for Gauss's Law?

One way to remember the different notations for Gauss's Law is to understand the physical meaning behind each symbol. For example, the symbol ∮ for electric flux represents the total amount of electric field passing through a closed surface, while the symbol ∇ for divergence represents the outward flow of electric field from a point.

Which notation for Gauss's Law is used more frequently in scientific literature?

The notation for Gauss's Law used in scientific literature can vary depending on the specific field of physics and the preference of the author. However, in general, the differential form is more commonly used in electrodynamics, while the integral form is more commonly used in electrostatics. It is important to be familiar with both notations in order to fully understand and apply Gauss's Law in different contexts.