Geany Error - Help Fixing Really Sad C++ Programming Issue

• Thread starter zooxanthellae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error
In summary, the conversation is about a user who has just started learning C++ and is using the book "C++ Programming: From Problem Analysis to Program Design" by D.S. Malik. They are enjoying it so far, but are encountering a problem with their IDE, Geany. They tried to add comments to their program, but the asterisks they typed in changed to 8s and they are now unable to capitalize anything in Geany. They consulted the manual and asked for help, but eventually resolved the issue by restarting the program.
zooxanthellae
I've just started learning C++, using the book "C++ Programming: From Problem Analysis to Program Design" by D.S. Malik. I'm liking it so far, but there's one problem I'm having with my compiler, Geany.

I was starting to write my first C++ program, and the program begins with comments, and the first line looks something like this:

//******************************************

So to do that, I went to Geany, put in two /'s, then held shift and 8, thus producing a line of *.

Except, a second or two in, the *'s changed to 8's, and now I can't capitalize anything in Geany. Caps lock does not work, either.

Obviously, everything works fine outside of Geany.

I've consulted the manual to no avail, and this is the closest I've got to a programming resource, so...anyone know how to fix this rather lame problem?

Thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
zooxanthellae said:
there's one problem I'm having with my compiler, Geany.

IDE, not compiler.

zooxanthellae said:
Except, a second or two in, the *'s changed to 8's, and now I can't capitalize anything in Geany. Caps lock does not work, either.

Try tapping shift. That's often the problem. If not, close it and open it again; do you still see the problem?

CRGreathouse said:
IDE, not compiler.

True, my mistake.

Try tapping shift. That's often the problem. If not, close it and open it again; do you still see the problem?

Well, I restarted and the problem's gone (and not recurring) so I guess things are fixed, although I still don't know what exactly happened.

Related to Geany Error - Help Fixing Really Sad C++ Programming Issue

1. What does the "Geany Error - Help Fixing Really Sad C++ Programming Issue" mean?

The "Geany Error - Help Fixing Really Sad C++ Programming Issue" is a common error message that appears when there is an issue with the C++ code being written in the Geany programming environment. It could indicate a syntax error, a missing library, or other issues that prevent the code from running properly.

2. How can I fix the "Geany Error - Help Fixing Really Sad C++ Programming Issue"?

To fix this error, you will need to carefully review your C++ code and look for any syntax errors or missing libraries. Additionally, you can try running the code in a different programming environment to see if the error persists. If all else fails, you can seek help from online forums or programming communities.

3. Why does the "Geany Error - Help Fixing Really Sad C++ Programming Issue" occur?

The "Geany Error - Help Fixing Really Sad C++ Programming Issue" can occur due to a variety of reasons, such as typos in the code, missing semicolons, or incorrect use of functions or variables. It could also be caused by compatibility issues between the Geany environment and the code being written.

4. Can I prevent the "Geany Error - Help Fixing Really Sad C++ Programming Issue" from occurring?

While it is not always possible to prevent this error from occurring, there are a few things you can do to minimize the chances of encountering it. These include double-checking your code for typos and syntax errors, using proper indentation and commenting, and keeping your programming environment and libraries up-to-date.

5. Is the "Geany Error - Help Fixing Really Sad C++ Programming Issue" a serious problem?

The "Geany Error - Help Fixing Really Sad C++ Programming Issue" is a common issue that can be frustrating, but it is not a serious problem. With careful troubleshooting and debugging, it can be resolved and your C++ code can be successfully executed. Remember to stay calm and patient when encountering this error, and seek help if needed.