Gene expression-This problem is impossible

In summary, the question asked what the transcription sequence for a gene would be if a certain region was shown, and the answer was B which does not fit with any of the given strands.
stanton
I was interpreting a question, and it does not fit with my knowledge and common sense.
This is the problem with mystery...:confused:

Part of the sequence of a gene along the template strand for transcription was shown to be 5'-AGCTCA-3'
Using that partial DNA sequence, determine the corresponding sequence of the transcript encoded by that region of the gene.
A)5'-UGCAGU
B)5'-UGAGCU
C)5'-UGACGU
D)5'-UCGAGU

I thought the answer was D. Because in the given sequence in the question and option D fits according to rules [A always matches with T(or U), C always matches with G]
Now, my answer: A fits with U. G fits with C in option D. C fits with G. T fits with A. And so on. If you are suspicious, I can show you.
5'-AGCTCA-3'
5'-UCGAGU
It all fits and make correct strand. I think...

However, the answer was B.

How could this possible? I gathered all my knowledge, contemplated for almost half and hour, thinking how B can be the answer. B does not fit with any of the given strand. Is there something wrong with the answerbook or there is something I did not learned about it?
My prof told students to report any mistakes in the problem-answer sheet he gave to us. However, I feel not willing to go to him and talk about this. What if I am wrong?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Look at the direction of the two strands. :wink:

Ah! I get it. The directions are the same.
5'-AGCTCA-3'
5'-UCGAGU
They cannot have same 5' at one side. So the my strand must be reversed.
So, instead of UCGAGU, UGAGCU is the answer(this is reversed form of my answer), which is B.

Remember that examiners use this trick many times to confuse students and distinguish the bright from the average. ANY sequence that is given without any labels is ALWAYS READ 5' to 3' no matter what! You cannot violate this law without using appropriate labels.

Another example you might want to work on is deciphering the anticodon on t-RNA for recognition of the mRNA sequence. In a double stranded DNA, both strands are anti-parallel. Remember this also applies to the tRNA vs mRNA base pairing because this essentially is ALSO anti-parallel! Just thought about telling you, because these tricks are commonly used in exams.

Thank you so much for your tip. :) How wicked those examiners are!

Related to Gene expression-This problem is impossible

1. What is gene expression?

Gene expression is the process by which information from a gene is used to create a functional product, such as a protein. It involves the transcription of DNA into RNA and the translation of RNA into a specific protein.

2. How is gene expression regulated?

Gene expression is regulated by various mechanisms, including transcription factors, epigenetic modifications, and post-transcriptional and post-translational modifications. These mechanisms control when and to what extent a gene is expressed.

3. Why is gene expression important?

Gene expression is important because it allows cells to respond to their environment and carry out essential functions. It is also responsible for the development and maintenance of tissues and organs in multicellular organisms.

4. Can gene expression be altered?

Yes, gene expression can be altered through various factors such as environmental influences, genetic mutations, and epigenetic changes. Changes in gene expression can lead to diseases and disorders.

5. Is it possible to control gene expression?

Yes, it is possible to control gene expression through various techniques, such as gene editing, gene therapy, and the use of pharmaceuticals. These methods can be used to regulate the expression of specific genes and potentially treat genetic disorders.