Gene lab based simple statistics question

In summary, the goal is to find the average value and associated error for each of the thousands of genes. The approach for determining the average error involves identifying if the errors are random or systematic, and then separating and combining them accordingly. Additionally, the standard deviation or standard error can be used to estimate the average error.
Tloh
Pretty basic math question, but I really haven't taken Statistics since the AP in HS.

The basics are... There are several thousand things (genes) that are measured and have a numeric value. Each of these numeric values has an associated error with it. There are six trials for EACH of those (thousands) of genes with the error also. What I am trying to do is to find the average value and the associated error for each of the genes seperately.

The average value, I'm thinking just simple arithmetic mean, but I'm at a loss for how to approach the error.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tloh said:
The basics are... There are several thousand things (genes) that are measured and have a numeric value. Each of these numeric values has an associated error with it. There are six trials for EACH of those (thousands) of genes with the error also. What I am trying to do is to find the average value and the associated error for each of the genes seperately.

First you need to identify if the associated errors of the 6 measurements of a gene are random or systematic. If they are random (e.g. round off error), they tend to cancel each other out, and the average error should be 1/sqrt(6) (or about 0.408) of each error (I assume them equal). If they are systematic (caused by common factors that affect the measurements in the same sense, such as a poorly calibrated instrument), they don't cancel each other and the average error is the same as the individual errors. If the associated error is a combination of both random and systematic errors, the average error should be somewhere in-between. To be precise, you need to separate both types of errors, apply averaging to the systematic part, and then combine them (adding the sum of squares and then take the square root).

The above is based on what I learned at HS some 30 years ago, so maybe other experts can provide a better answer.

i believe the error can be equivable to the standard deviation and if that is not true you can find that out by using the error.

but the average s.d is the square of the sum of the s.d.

even if you don't have s.d., which is very unlikely in real world situations, you can use standard error. the above will give you a pretty good estimate.

Related to Gene lab based simple statistics question

1. What is a gene lab?

A gene lab is a laboratory that specializes in studying and analyzing genetic information, particularly DNA and its various components. This can include research on gene function, gene expression, and genetic mutations.

2. What are gene lab based statistics?

Gene lab based statistics refer to statistical analyses that are conducted using data from genetic experiments or studies. These analyses aim to identify patterns, trends, and relationships within genetic data to better understand gene function and behavior.

3. How are gene lab based statistics used in scientific research?

Gene lab based statistics are used in a variety of scientific research fields, including genetics, molecular biology, and medicine. They can help scientists identify genetic markers for diseases, determine the effects of genetic mutations, and assess the relationship between genes and environmental factors.

4. What are some common statistical methods used in gene labs?

Some common statistical methods used in gene labs include chi-square tests, ANOVA, regression analysis, and correlation analysis. These methods allow researchers to analyze and interpret data from genetic experiments and studies to draw meaningful conclusions.

5. How do gene lab based statistics contribute to our understanding of genetics?

Gene lab based statistics play a crucial role in advancing our understanding of genetics by helping scientists make sense of complex genetic data. By analyzing and interpreting this data, we can gain insights into gene function, disease mechanisms, and potential treatments for genetic disorders.