General Atwood system with moment of inertia

In summary, the conversation discusses a project on Lagrangian mechanics and the request for help in determining the acceleration of a system using the Newtonian format. The equations and attempts at a solution are provided, with a focus on the confusion caused by the signs in the equations. Ultimately, the problem is identified as the negative moment of inertia in the final acceleration equation, and a justification for this is sought.
kev0

Homework Statement

img1622.png

I have taken this image from http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/336k/lectures/node79.html

Hello, I am currently doing a project on Lagrangian mechanics. As part of my project, it was advised that I should redo each of the problems done using the Lagrangian method in the Newtonian format.

So essentially I am requesting help on determining the acceleration of the system

Homework Equations

[itex]F=m\ddot{x}[/itex]

[itex]τ=Iα[/itex]

[itex]τ=FR[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am getting increasingly confused especially when the signs don't match :(
(a = radius of the pulley, not acceleration)
(acceleration is denoted as [itex]\ddot{x}[/itex]

[itex]m_{1}\ddot{x_{1}}=T_{1}-m_{1}g[/itex]
[itex]m_{2}\ddot{x_{2}}=T_{2}-m_{2}g[/itex]

[itex]τ=Iα[/itex]
[itex]τ=(T_{1}-T_{2})a[/itex]

Tangential acceleration of the pulley is the same as the acceleration of the mass, assuming that there is absolute grip of the rope to the pulley.

[itex]\ddot{x}=αa[/itex]

However we can see that

[itex]\ddot{x_{1}}=-\ddot{x_{2}}[/itex]

Therefore,

[itex]m_{1}\ddot{x_{1}}=T_{1}-m_{1}g[/itex]
[itex]m_{2}\ddot{x_{1}}=m_{2}g-T_{2}[/itex]

and,

[itex]α=(T_{1}-T_{2})a/I[/itex]
[itex]\ddot{x}=(T_{1}-T_{2})a^{2}/I[/itex]

Adding the first 2 equations

[itex]m_{1}\ddot{x_{1}}+m_{2}\ddot{x_{1}}=T_{1}-T_{2}+m_{2}g-m_{1}g[/itex]

Replacing the Tensions

[itex]m_{1}\ddot{x_{1}}+m_{2}\ddot{x_{1}}=\ddot{x}I/a^{2}+m_{2}g-m_{1}g[/itex]

Finally rearranging it

[itex](m_{1}+m_{2}-I/a^{2})\ddot{x_{1}}=(m_{2}-m_{1})g[/itex]

[itex]\ddot{x_{1}}=\frac{(m_{2}-m_{1})g}{(m_{1}+m_{2}-I/a^{2})}[/itex]

The signs are everywhere and completely different to the derivation obtained through the Lagrangian method. :I Can anyone explain what my issue is?

EDIT: Included the solution obtained via Lagrangian method

[itex]\ddot{x_{1}}=\frac{(m_{1}-m{2})g}{m_{1}+m_{2}+I/a^{2})}[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The minus sign difference in the numerator is not a problem but the minus sign in the detonator of your solution is a problem, the inertia of the pulley should have a plus sign, its inertia tends to reduce the acceleration of the system.

Thanks for your reply Spinnor,

I agree the problem is within the negative moment of Inertia in the final acceleration equation.

However, I can't seem to find a reason to justify it. (Doing so would somehow need to make the initial F=T-mg equation negative or somehow justify T_2 - T_1 instead of T_1 - T_2 for the angular acc. equation)

Related to General Atwood system with moment of inertia

What is a General Atwood system?

A General Atwood system is a physical setup consisting of two masses connected by a string passing over a pulley. The system is used to study the laws of motion and the effects of gravity on the movement of the masses.

What is the moment of inertia in a General Atwood system?

The moment of inertia in a General Atwood system refers to the resistance of the system to rotational motion. It is affected by the masses of the objects, their distance from the axis of rotation, and their distribution of mass.

How is the moment of inertia calculated in a General Atwood system?

The moment of inertia in a General Atwood system can be calculated using the formula I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation. This formula assumes that the mass is evenly distributed around the axis of rotation.

What is the significance of the moment of inertia in a General Atwood system?

The moment of inertia is significant in a General Atwood system because it affects the acceleration and velocity of the masses. A higher moment of inertia means there is more resistance to rotational motion, which can affect the outcome of the experiment.

How can the moment of inertia be manipulated in a General Atwood system?

The moment of inertia can be manipulated in a General Atwood system by changing the mass, the distance from the axis of rotation, or the distribution of mass of the objects in the system. This can be done by adding or removing weights, changing the length of the string, or changing the position of the masses.