General Centre of mass derivation

In summary, the question is about finding the center of mass of an isosceles triangle with its base on the X axis and symmetric about it. The solution involves imagining the triangle as a combination of 1-dimensional bodies and using the formula for the y-coordinate of the center of gravity. By setting up a coordinate system and determining the equations of the slant sides, the problem can be solved.
shaggySS
Hello,
It's my first question here. So I'll try to give as much as information as I know

Actually I am stuck with a problem of centre of mass derivation of a triangle with its base on the X axis and symmetric about it.
The base is b and height is H

As far as I know I have to imagine it as a couple of 1d bodies and integrate them.

Thanks
SAGNIK

Physics news on Phys.org
Since its symmetric about the X axis the y coordinate needs to be found only.

The y- coordinate of the center of gravity of an object with density function [itex]\delta(x,y)[/itex] is
[tex]\frac{\int y \delta(x,y) dxdy}{\int \delta(x, y) dxdy}[/tex]
In particular, if [tex]\delta[/tex] is a constant, it can be factored out of the two integrals and cancelled- that is the "center of gravity" is just the
geometrical "centroid". Here, we can set up a coordinate system so that the origin is at the center of the base of the isosceles triangle, base
along the x- axis, height along the y-axis. The equations of the two slant sides can easily be determined.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to General Centre of mass derivation

1. What is the general center of mass?

The general center of mass, also known as the centroid, is a point that represents the average position of all the mass in a system. It is a useful concept in physics and engineering, as it simplifies the analysis of complex systems by treating them as a single point.

2. How is the general center of mass calculated?

The general center of mass is calculated by finding the weighted average position of all the individual masses in a system. This can be done mathematically by multiplying each mass by its position vector, summing all the products, and dividing by the total mass.

3. What is the significance of the general center of mass?

The general center of mass is significant because it provides a useful point of reference for analyzing the motion and stability of a system. It also allows for the simplification of complex systems, making it easier to solve problems in physics and engineering.

4. How does the general center of mass affect an object's motion?

The general center of mass affects an object's motion by acting as a single point where all the external forces can be applied. This allows for the motion of the object to be described using simpler equations, making it easier to predict and analyze.

5. Can the general center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the general center of mass can be outside of an object if the object is irregularly shaped or has uneven mass distribution. In this case, the center of mass may be located in empty space or even outside of the physical boundaries of the object.