General Extensivity of Entropy

In summary: In the case of S[1], the property is directly proportional to the amount of material present, so S[1] is an extensive property. In the case of S[2], the property is not directly proportional to the amount of material present, so S[2] is not an extensive property. In the case of S[3], the property is not directly proportional to the amount of material present, so S[3] is not an extensive property.
J co

Homework Statement

Which of the following are not extensive functions:

S[1] = (N/V)[S[0]+[C][v] ln(T) + R ln(V)]
S[2] = (N)[S[0]+[C][v] ln(T) + R ln(V/N)]
S[3] = ([N][/2])[S[0]+[C][v] ln(T) + R ln(V/N)]

2. Homework Equations
I'm not really sure how to approach this problem. The definition that I find for extensivity states: "At fixed pressure and temperature, if the amount of a substance N is changed by a factor λ, the volume V is also changed by the same factor"

The corresponding example for the definition shows that if a system S(U,V,N) is combined with an identical system then the result should be 2U,2V,2N.

First - I get hung up on the language of these statements quite often which is pretty discouraging. When the definition says "fixed temperature and pressure" and the forumlae have ln(T), how can I say that the system has a fixed temperature?

Second - Should I be determining the extensivity by doubing S, for instance 2(S[1]), or should I consider if in the formula for the system N and V scale by the same factor?

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Once again, I'm not sure how to begin here.

If someone could simply point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First - I get hung up on the language of these statements quite often which is pretty discouraging. When the definition says "fixed temperature and pressure" and the forumlae have ln(T), how can I say that the system has a fixed temperature?
You assume that T and P are held constant, and you double the amount of material N. Then you determine whether the property in question doubles.
Second - Should I be determining the extensivity by doubing S, for instance 2(S[1]), or should I consider if in the formula for the system N and V scale by the same factor?
Again, you hold T and P constant, and see if the property in question is proportional to N.A property is considered an extensive property if, at constant temperature and pressure, the value of the property is directly proportional to the amount of the material present. At constant temperature and pressure, the system volume V, the system internal energy U, the system enthalpy H, and the system entropy S are all directly proportional to the amount of material you have.

In the case of S[1], is the ratio of N/V directly proportional to N? Is ln(V) = ln(NkT/P) directly proportional to N?

In the case of S[2], at constant temperature and pressure, is the value of S[2] directly proportional to N?

In the case of S[3], at constant temperature and pressure, is the value of S[3] directly proportional to N?

Chet

Related to General Extensivity of Entropy

1. What is the general extensivity of entropy?

The general extensivity of entropy refers to the property of entropy that states it is directly proportional to the size or amount of a system. This means that as the size or amount of a system increases, so does the entropy.

2. How is the general extensivity of entropy related to thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, the general extensivity of entropy is an important concept because it helps to determine the behavior of a system as it changes in size and composition. It is often used to calculate the change in entropy of a system during a physical or chemical process.

3. Does the general extensivity of entropy apply to all types of systems?

Yes, the general extensivity of entropy applies to all types of systems, including physical, chemical, and biological systems. It is a fundamental property of entropy that is observed in all natural processes.

4. What is the mathematical equation for the general extensivity of entropy?

The mathematical equation for the general extensivity of entropy is S = k ln(Ω), where S is the entropy, k is the Boltzmann constant, and Ω is the number of microstates available to the system.

5. How does the general extensivity of entropy affect the second law of thermodynamics?

The general extensivity of entropy is closely related to the second law of thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that as a system becomes larger, its entropy will also increase, in accordance with the general extensivity of entropy.