General Formula for Finding Sum of Complex Sequence | Homework Help"

• Thread starter vishnu manoj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequences
In summary, the sequence of the denominators is (1/2)n^2+(1/2)n but I am not able to find the general formula for the sum of this sequence. apparently 1/mn+! doesn't work either.
vishnu manoj

Homework Statement

what is the general formula for the sequence (1/1*3+1/3*6+1/6*10+1/10*15...)

Homework Equations

i used the equation n/mn+1 but am not able to use it for this sequence

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the sequence of the denominators which is (1/2)n^2+(1/2)n but am not able to find the general formula for the sum of this sequence. apparently 1/mn+! doesn't work either.

Physics news on Phys.org
vishnu manoj said:

Homework Statement

This is what you wrote:
$$ \frac{1}{1} * 3 +\frac{1}{3} * 6 + \frac{1}{6} * 10 + \frac{1}{10} * 15 ...$$
If that's not what you meant, then use parentheses to clarify it.
vishnu manoj said:

Homework Equations

I found the sequence of the denominators which is (1/2)n^2+(1/2)n but am not able to find the general formula for the sum of this sequence. apparently 1/mn+! doesn't work either.

What does 1/mn+? mean?

Assuming that you mean "1/(1*3)+ 1/(3*6)+ 1/(6*10)+..., I would look at the two factors separately. The first factor in each product is 1, 3, 6, 10. The "first difference" is 3-1= 2, 6- 3= 3, and 10- 6= 4. The "second difference" would be 3- 2= 1 and 4- 3= 1, a constant, so we can write this as a quadratic in n: [itex]an^2+ bn+ c[/itex]. When n= 1, we have a+ b+ c= 1, when n= 2, we have 4a+ 2b+ c= 3, and when n= 3, we have 9a+ 3b+ c= 6. Solve those three equations for a, b, and c. (And then check that 16a+ 4b+ c= 10.)

Of course, the second factor is just the first factor of the next term in the sum. So if we call the (quadratic) formula for the first factor "A(n)", the second factor is "A(n+1)" and nth term in the sum is 1/(A(n)A(n+1)).

Last edited by a moderator:
vishnu manoj said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

If you mean 1/(1*3) + 1/(3*6) + 1/(6*10) + ..., you will not be able to find a nice closed-form expression for the finite sum in terms of elementary functions. Maple gets the sum of 1/[f(n)*f(n+1)], for n = 1 to N (and for your f(n)) in terms of the first derivative of the so-called *di-gamma* function, as well as ##\pi^2## and other things. The infinite sum (where N = ∞) is relatively simple: it equals ## 7 - (2/3) \pi^2##.

sorry about that, i am new to the forum but the sequence is 1/(1*3) + 1/(3*6)+1/(6*10).

HallsofIvy said:
Assuming that you mean "1/(1*3)+ 1/(3*6)+ 1/(6*10)+..., I would look at the two factors separately. The first factor in each product is 1, 3, 6, 10. The "first difference" is 3-1= 2, 6- 3= 3, and 10- 6= 4. The "second difference" would be 3- 2= 1 and 4- 3= 1, a constant, so we can write this as a quadratic in n: [itex]an^2+ bn+ c[/itex]. When n= 1, we have a+ b+ c= 1, when n= 2, we have 4a+ 2b+ c= 3, and when n= 3, we have 9a+ 3b+ c= 6. Solve those three equations for a, b, and c. (And then check that 16a+ 4b+ c= 10.)

Of course, the second factor is just the first factor of the next term in the sum. So if we call the (quadratic) formula for the first factor "A(n)", the second factor is "A(n+1)" and nth term in the sum is 1/(A(n)A(n+1)).

I did exactly that for the denominator of the sequence but my question is how can you find the sum of all the terms in the sequence with a formula. The quadratic sequence in the denominator really complicates the sum of the sequence.

Thanks Ray Vickson but isn't there a way to find the finite sum of the sequence and if so could you present it ?
It would be really helpful, thanks.

vishnu manoj said:
Thanks Ray Vickson but isn't there a way to find the finite sum of the sequence and if so could you present it ?
It would be really helpful, thanks.

If I were given that problem, I would have used method of differences :
Using method of differences :

(i) Find general term of series, say Tn:

(ii) Find general term of series, say Tn':

(iii) Then You get general term of overall series as,

1/(Tn*Tn')

(iv) Then you can sum it up using summation... Then you have to impose limit also as number of terms tend to infinity.

Or if you do not like it, follow HallsOfIvy's method. Then break general term into partial fraction, and sum them up.

sankalpmittal said:
If I were given that problem, I would have used method of differences :
Using method of differences :

(i) Find general term of series, say Tn:

(ii) Find general term of series, say Tn':

(iii) Then You get general term of overall series as,

1/(Tn*Tn')

(iv) Then you can sum it up using summation... Then you have to impose limit also as number of terms tend to infinity.

Or if you do not like it, follow HallsOfIvy's method. Then break general term into partial fraction, and sum them up.

That is what Maple did, and it then applied the formulas:
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^N \frac{1}{n} = \gamma + \Psi(N+1)\\
\sum_{n=1}^N \frac{1}{n^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{6} - \Psi(1,N+1),[/tex]
where ##\Psi(x)## is the digamma function, ##\Psi(1,x)## is the first derivative of ##\Psi(x)## and ##\gamma## is Euler's constant.

Last edited:
thanks a lot. It really helped

FAQ: General Formula for Finding Sum of Complex Sequence | Homework Help"

1. What is the general formula for finding the sum of a complex sequence?

The general formula for finding the sum of a complex sequence is Sn = a1 + (a2 - a1) + (a3 - a2) + ... + (an - an-1), where Sn is the sum of the first n terms of the sequence and a1, a2, ..., an are the terms of the sequence.

2. How do I apply the general formula to a specific complex sequence?

To apply the general formula to a specific complex sequence, first identify the values of a1, a2, ..., an in the sequence. Then, plug these values into the formula to find the sum Sn.

3. Can the general formula be used for any type of complex sequence?

Yes, the general formula can be used for any type of complex sequence, as long as the terms of the sequence follow a certain pattern or rule.

4. Are there any limitations to using the general formula?

The general formula may not work for sequences that do not follow a specific pattern or rule, or for sequences with a large number of terms. In these cases, other methods such as using a calculator or a computer program may be more efficient.

5. How can I check if I have correctly applied the general formula?

To check if you have correctly applied the general formula, you can manually calculate the sum of the first n terms of the sequence and compare it to the value obtained using the formula. Alternatively, you can use a calculator or a computer program to verify the result.