General programming language question

In summary, when it comes to choosing a programming language to focus on, it is important to remember that the fundamentals of Object Oriented Programming are more important than the specific language. Java, C++, and Python are all widely used in the workforce and it is beneficial to have a good understanding of each. However, Java is still heavily used, especially in the US. It is also recommended to learn Python alongside Java, as the skills are easily transferable and it is a simpler language. Learning C++ can be saved for later when a good grasp of Java or Python is achieved. It is not recommended to learn Perl, as it is becoming less relevant and can teach habits that do not apply to other languages.
True Cherokee
I'm currently in a computer science class in my senior year of high school and we're learning java. I was wondering if this is going to be the language I would be using in the workforce after college if I graduate with an interactive media degree. I've heard multiple people say that java is a waste of time and that I should learn C/C++ and other who say forget both of them and learn Python or Perl. I was hoping somebody could shed some light on this and let me know which language I should be focusing on.

Technology news on Phys.org
Don't worry about what specific language you are learning. Concentrate on the fundamentals of Object Orienting Programming. If you get a development job you will be required to constantly learn new languages and tools anyway. I'm in the US and Java is heavily used. C++ and Python is also good. MIT teaches it's undergrads in Python, I learned C, C++, and Java at my university.

Java is still relevant and there are good jobs doing Java coding. Besides this Southphilyman is right, if you learn Java well then it will put you in a good position to transition to C++ or Python.

I do suggest learning Python alongside Java if you have the time-- maybe when you learn a concept in your Java class, try and see if you can do the same thing in Python. Python is much simpler than Java and so the skills should be immediately transferrable. Learning C++ can wait until you have a good grasp of one of those other languages (or until you find you need it).

I honestly think I would recommend against learning Perl at this point. It is becoming less useful as a language with time and it will teach you weird habits that don't apply to other languages.

Related to General programming language question

1. What is a programming language?

A programming language is a set of rules and symbols used to create instructions that a computer can follow in order to perform a task. It is the primary tool used by computer programmers to write, edit, and execute code.

2. What are the different types of programming languages?

There are many different types of programming languages, including high-level languages such as Java, Python, and C++, which are designed to be easy for humans to read and write. There are also low-level languages such as assembly language, which are closer to the computer's language and are used for tasks that require precise control over hardware resources.

3. What is the difference between a compiled and interpreted programming language?

A compiled programming language, such as C or C++, is translated into machine code before it is executed, which typically results in faster execution. An interpreted programming language, such as Python or JavaScript, is translated at runtime, which makes it easier to write and test code but can result in slower execution.

4. How do I choose the right programming language for my project?

The best programming language for a project depends on various factors, such as the project's goals, the type of application you are building, your team's skills and preferences, and the availability of libraries and tools. It is important to research and consider these factors before selecting a programming language.

5. Can I learn multiple programming languages?

Yes, it is possible to learn multiple programming languages, and many programmers do so in order to have a diverse skill set and be able to work on a variety of projects. However, it is recommended to focus on mastering one language at a time before moving on to another in order to build a strong foundation and avoid confusion.