General-Purpose and RF JFET and MOSFET

• Thread starter Fischer777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mosfet Rf
In summary, the conversation is about a project that requires the use of N-channel JFET and/or MOSFET transistors as audio frequency and radio frequency amplifiers. The suggested BF981 dual gate Mosfets are readily available and cost-effective. Other options include the BSS126 H6327 and BSP129 L6327 from INFINEON and the J309 and J310 from Jaycar.com.au. The IRF510 is also mentioned as a popular option for transmitter use. The project involves sending and receiving an FM signal at 50 MHz with low power requirements.
Fischer777
Hey guys,
I'm looking for some general-purpose N-channel JFET and/or MOSFET transistors (depletion-zone) to be used as audio frequency and radio frequency amplifiers (although probably not higher than 50 MHz). They likely won't be subject to voltages over 12 volts or current higher than 200 milliampers. I've tried searching mouser and google but all I seem to be able to find are power MOSFETs. You guys know of any that would be work?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
BF981 dual gate Mosfets seem to still be readily available on EBay. They cost as little as $1 each if you buy 5 or 10.

These work well to above 200 MHz as low noise amplifiers or mixers.

There are plenty of circuits on Internet using this device.

They do have a low output impedance, so circuits that put a parallel tuned circuit directly across the output of these devices should be treated with suspicion. Such circuits will be severely damped by the low output impedance.
The output of the BF981 should be connected to a tap on the coil of a tuned circuit.

Currents of 10 or 20 mA are typically used with these FETs.

Likes 1 person
Likes 1 person
the J309 and J310 are also a great small signal FET's
have used in many receiver projects

dunno if you could push them to 200mA tho, without looking at the datasheet

To the OP, you haven't really stated what you want these FET's for ??

receiving or transmitting ??

The IRF510 is a popular FET device for use in 1 -50Hz for a transmitter
there's dozens of sample circuits on google
single device will give you ~ 10W and there are example circuits of ones used in parallelDave

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
It's for a project that requires me to send and receive an FM signal at about 50 MHz. I was planning on using FET transistors for all the low powered oscillation, mixing, and amplifying stages, and possibly the transmitter output and audio output stages. The transmitter doesn't have to be very powerful, in fact, for it to work as a class 15 device it has to have a range of less than 200 feet, so I'm aiming for a low-powered transmitter in the milliwatt range. The audio output should be powerful enough to drive earphone speakers, but for that I could use a BPJ buffer.

Related to General-Purpose and RF JFET and MOSFET

1. What is the difference between a JFET and a MOSFET?

A JFET (Junction Field-Effect Transistor) is a type of transistor that uses a voltage applied to a gate to control the flow of current between its source and drain terminals. A MOSFET (Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor) also uses a gate to control current flow, but it uses a metal-oxide-semiconductor structure rather than a junction.

2. How do JFET and MOSFET differ in terms of applications?

JFETs are typically used in low-frequency amplifier circuits, while MOSFETs are used in a wider range of applications including digital logic circuits, switching power supplies, and audio amplifiers. MOSFETs also have higher input impedance and lower output impedance compared to JFETs.

3. What is the meaning of the terms "general-purpose" and "RF" in relation to JFET and MOSFET?

"General-purpose" refers to JFET and MOSFET transistors that are designed for a wide range of applications and have moderate performance specifications. "RF" stands for radio frequency and refers to transistors that are specifically designed for use in high-frequency applications, such as radio and wireless communication systems.

4. How do I choose between a JFET and MOSFET for my circuit?

The choice between a JFET and MOSFET depends on the specific requirements of your circuit. If you need a low-power, low-frequency amplifier, a JFET may be a suitable choice. If you need a transistor for high-frequency applications, a MOSFET would be a better option. It is also important to consider the input and output impedance, voltage and current requirements, and other performance specifications when choosing between the two types of transistors.

5. Can a JFET or MOSFET be used as a switch?

Yes, both JFETs and MOSFETs can be used as switches by turning them on and off using the gate terminal. However, MOSFETs are more commonly used as switches due to their faster switching speed and lower power consumption compared to JFETs.