General Question about Convergence

In summary, the harmonic series 1/n is divergent because it does not converge to a finite sum. This can be demonstrated by grouping the terms in increasingly longer groups, which all add up to more than 1/2. On the other hand, the series 1/2^(n+1) is convergent because there is an upper bound to the sum, and each term brings it half way to the value of 1. This can be seen by computing the finite sums using formulas for geometric series. No matter how large a number is chosen, it is possible to find a group of terms in the harmonic series with a sum larger than the chosen number. In contrast, the terms in the series 1/2^(
nfcfox
Here's what I'm confused about: The harmonic series 1/n is divergent (because you're just infinitely adding numbers) but the series (1/2)^(n+1) is convergent. This doesn't make sense to me because by plugging in larger and larger numbers, you are still adding small numbers infinitely which should make it divergent. I understand that for smaller values of n, (1/2)^(n+1) will have a smaller calculated number but you are still adding small terms up infinitely. Can someone explain the difference to me?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
nfcfox said:
The harmonic series 1/n is divergent (because you're just infinitely adding numbers)
That's not precisely correct. It's divergent because the series does not converge to a finite sum. This can be demonstrated by grouping the terms in increasingly longer groups. Those groups are [1/1], [1/2,1/3], [1/4,1/5,1/6,1/7], [1/8,...1/15], the next 16, th next 32, ... Each of these groups adds up to more than 1/2, there are an infinite number of these groups, so there is no upper bound to the total.

nfcfox said:
but the series (1/2)^(n+1) is convergent.
It is convergent because there is an upper bound to the sum. Each term brings it half way to the value of 1.

What do you mean by an upper bound? If I had an infinite number of groups like [1/2], [1/2,1/4], [1/2,1/4,1/8] and so on, it all adds up to above 1/2 too... I guess I'm confused on what convergence/divergence means with summations overall.

nfcfox said:
Here's what I'm confused about: The harmonic series 1/n is divergent (because you're just infinitely adding numbers) but the series (1/2)^(n+1) is convergent. This doesn't make sense to me because by plugging in larger and larger numbers, you are still adding small numbers infinitely which should make it divergent. I understand that for smaller values of n, (1/2)^(n+1) will have a smaller calculated number but you are still adding small terms up infinitely. Can someone explain the difference to me?

The DEFINITION of convergence of an infinite series ##\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} x_n## is that the finite sums ##S_N = \sum_{n=1}^N x_n## have a finite limit as ##N \to \infty##. In the case of ##\sum 1/n## we can, for any finite large number ##L>>0## find an ##N## that gives ##\sum_{n=1}^N 1/n = 1 + 1/2 + 1/3 + \cdots + 1/N > L##. So, we can have finite sums > 1 million, still larger finite finite sums > 100,000,000 trillion, etc. No matter how large a number ##L## you specify, you can make the finite sum be larger than that. The case of ##\sum 1/2^{n+1} = (1/2) 1/2^n## is different: you can actually compute the finite sums, using your high-school formulas for sums of geometric series: ##\sum_{n=1}^N 1/2^n = (1/2 - 1/2^{N+1})/(1 - 1/2) = 1 - 1/2^N##. You can see right away that this has a finite limit (=1) as ##N \to \infty##.

nfcfox said:
What do you mean by an upper bound? If I had an infinite number of groups like [1/2], [1/2,1/4], [1/2,1/4,1/8] and so on, it all adds up to above 1/2 too... I guess I'm confused on what convergence/divergence means with summations overall.

It might help if you say what level your mathematics is at. Are you studying real analysis or have you just picked this up about convergence/divergence at random?

PeroK said:
It might help if you say what level your mathematics is at. Are you studying real analysis or have you just picked this up about convergence/divergence at random?
I'm taking AP Calc BC as a senior in high school. I have a test tomorrow on sequences and series and I've been really just pulling along...

nfcfox said:
I'm taking AP Calc BC as a senior in high school. I have a test tomorrow on sequences and series and I've been really just pulling along...

Try this in a calculator, spreadsheet or computer programme:

Take the series 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + 1/5 + ...

and keep going until you get past 2. And, if you have enough patience, keep going unil you get past 3. And maybe past 4.

Now take the series 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + 1/16 + ...

And keep going until you get past 2. Edit: or past 1, even!

nfcfox said:
Note that your groups are not disjoint. You've counted the 1/2 term three times so far. If you add up the subtotals of each of your groups, that's not a fair way to try to sum up the total of the whole sequence.

By contrast, look at the groups proposed for 1/2 + 1/3 + 1/4 + ... Those are all disjoint. Every number gets counted in some group and no number gets counted in more than one group. That's a fair way to try to sum up the total of the whole sequence.

Last edited:
You have been given some excellent replies here. I'll repeat the idea in post #2 in a little different way and in a little more detail for Σ(1/n) , then take a somewhat different look at Σ1/(2^(n+1)).

For Σ(1/n) :
##\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} =1+\frac12+\frac13+\frac14+\frac15+\frac16+\frac17+\frac18+\frac19+\frac1{10}+\frac1{11}+\frac1{12}+\frac1{13}+\frac1{14}+\frac1{15}+\frac1{16}+\frac1{17}+\frac1{18}+\frac1{19}+\dots \ ##

##\displaystyle =1+\frac12+\left(\frac13+\frac14\right)+\left(\frac15+\frac16+\frac17+\frac18\right)+\left(\frac19+\frac1{10}+\dots+\frac1{15}+\frac1{16}\right)+\left(\frac1{17}+\frac1{18}+\dots +\frac1{32}\right)+\dots \ ##​
The sum of the first two terms is ##\ 1\frac12\ .## Each of the next two terms is at least as great as 1/4, so their sum is a little greater than 1/2. Similarly the next 4 terms also sum to greater than 1/2, and so on.

No matter how large a number you might choose, it's possible to come up with a number of terms of this series which will have a sum larger than the chosen number.

For Σ1/(2^(n+1)) :
The first term is 1/2. The second is half of that and when added to 1/2 gives 3/4, which is 1/4 short of being 1 . The next term is half of 1/4, so it gets you half way to 1, still being short by 1/8. Adding the next term gets you half way to 1 again. This continues. Not only will the sum never get to 1, it will exceed any number less than 1, if enough terms are included.

Likes Merlin3189

FAQ: General Question about Convergence

1. What is convergence?

Convergence refers to the process of coming together or approaching a common endpoint. In scientific terms, it can refer to the coming together of different lines of evidence or data to support a particular theory or conclusion.

2. How is convergence used in science?

Convergence is an important tool in scientific research as it allows scientists to combine and analyze multiple sources of evidence to support or reject a hypothesis. It also helps to identify patterns and trends that may not be apparent when looking at individual pieces of data.

3. Can convergence be observed in everyday life?

Yes, convergence can be observed in everyday life. For example, when multiple eyewitness accounts of an event are consistent, it can be seen as a form of convergence. In technology, convergence can be seen in the integration of different devices, such as smartphones that combine the functions of a phone, camera, and computer.

4. What are the benefits of convergence in scientific research?

The benefits of convergence in scientific research include increased accuracy and reliability of results, the ability to draw more robust conclusions, and the potential for new discoveries and advancements. It also allows scientists to address complex problems that may require a multidisciplinary approach.

5. Are there any limitations to convergence in science?

While convergence is a valuable tool in scientific research, it is not without its limitations. One limitation is that it relies on the quality and reliability of the data being used. If the data is flawed or biased, convergence may lead to incorrect conclusions. Additionally, convergence may not always be possible, especially in cases where there is conflicting evidence or limited data available.