General question about correct notation

In summary, the conversation was about expressing a standing sinusoidal wave as a superposition of two traveling waves in a thesis. The person asked for advice on whether to write the sum in the last line or keep it as two separate terms. The expert suggested keeping it as two separate terms.
MarkoA
Hi,

I have a question about how to write down the following problem in a thesis.

I have a standing sinusodial wave with amplitude:
[tex]|\hat{q}_n|[/tex]
which I want to express as superposition of two traveling waves. Would you suggest do write the sum in the last line like I did, or has somebody a better idea?

[tex]
\DeclareMathOperator{\e}{e}
\begin{split}
w &= |\hat{q}_n| \sin(n\pi x/L) \e^{i\omega t} \\
&= |\hat{q}_n| \frac{1}{2i}(\e^{i n \pi x/L} - \overline{\e^{i n \pi x/L}}) \e^{i\omega t} \\
&= |\hat{q}_n| \e^{i\omega t} \sum_{\nu = \pm n} \frac{\nu}{2i} \e^{i \nu \pi x/L} \; .
\end{split}
[/tex]

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think I would just keep it as two separate terms. Where is the point of a sum symbol?

FAQ: General question about correct notation

1. What is the importance of correct notation in scientific research?

Correct notation is essential in scientific research as it ensures clear communication and understanding among researchers. It also helps to maintain consistency and accuracy in data analysis and results interpretation.

2. How can I improve my notation skills?

The best way to improve notation skills is through practice and familiarizing yourself with the standard notation conventions in your field of study. Reading and analyzing research papers can also help to improve notation skills.

3. Can incorrect notation lead to errors in data analysis?

Yes, incorrect notation can lead to errors in data analysis as it can result in misinterpretation of data and incorrect calculations. This can ultimately affect the validity and reliability of research findings.

4. Are there any tools or resources available for correct notation?

Yes, there are various tools and resources available for correct notation, such as style guides and software programs that can assist with formatting and notation of scientific data.

5. Is there a universal notation system for scientific research?

No, there is no universal notation system for scientific research. Different fields of study may have their own notation conventions, so it is important to be familiar with the specific notation used in your field.